Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Antler handled knife

Nice work!

I've mocked up a prototype today for a small game/trout and bird knife (out of wood), to check sizing.

Also cut some antler scales to season/dry for a few weeks, I'll post up some photos this evening sometime in a new thread... because I have quite a few questions I'd like to ask.

Cheers, great thread.

Von Gruff if you felt like knocking together a basic how-to thread on getting started trying to make your first knife I'm sure a lot of the guys (myself included) would be appreciative. I'd love to take a crack at it. The handles look damn difficult. Must take a lot of time and dedication.

If I managed to make anything half as good as your "agricultural" knives I'd be chuffed to bits.

I've worked a lot with wood, but a wood knife is about as useful as tits on a bull

Quote Originally Posted by leathel View Post
    what glue/ resign do you use to fit the handles?

I have a large old hacksaw blade that someone has shaped in to a large knife...thought I might chuck a handle on to use it to track clear

then when time pemits I must try to make an every day knife
    I use one of the two pot epoxy's like araldite (not the 5 minute stuff though) and run some file rings arround the pins to give enhanced hold areas.
    My best little rabbit knife I made from a comercial hack saw blade. It takes a heck of an edge.
    Sharpenable circular saw blades ( not the tipped ones thogh) make good blades and I have used a piece from a saw mill band saw blade that exploded when it hit a steel dog in a log.

Von Gruff.