Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Black coatings..

Black coatings..

Hey guys what options have I got for a matte black finish on my rifles steel components. And who does it if its not DIY accessible. Needs to be durable. Cheers in advance.
    Tim.

Caretaker
    Give Scott at ssrnz.co.nz an email and he will point you in the right direction.
    BRADS and PERRISCICABA like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Greystone guns in Leeston do cerakote(?)

Thanks lads will contact. Cerakote vs mil spec? Opinions

Etch parts with appropriate etch primer ( plastic/metal). For topcoat use black catalysed automotive basecoat. (Spies Hecker)

it will give a finish like the flat paint finish in the engine bay of your car.

Sounds interesting @Wild game havester ..
    just looked at prices for cerakote @ greystone. 350 for a remmy or 450 for a tikka!!! they must be charging out an almighty hourly rate cause im sure there musnt be much in product when buying bulk. Id expect to pay around 200 for mil spec or the like am I way off? Might have to DIY..

I don't know how durable these guys coatings would be compared to Duracoat etc, but I have seen their work and it is impressive

Fluid Coatings NZ Ltd - News
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

If your in the depth south. Talk to Andy at Coating Supplies Ltd, he should be able to sort you out. Lechler have some etches, a black 'wash etch' would be best, as you don't want build just rust protection and a bond coat.

This is a single pack etch; https://portal.lechler.eu/DesktopMod...EntryId=136089

or for a 2 pack etch use Lechler 29107,;https://portal.lechler.eu/DesktopMod...EntryId=136093

For top coat a Black automotive base coat catalysed with 2 pack fast hardener, should give you the finish, light even coats give a flatter finish (less is best, just get proper cover for protection).( check comparability with primer.) you could also use camouflage colours.tans greens browns.

Spies Hecker Spectroflex maybe another solution, would need to check durability and gloss level.ask Andy.

If you want to paint your stock, you can get a soft matt finish with this ; https://portal.lechler.eu/DesktopMod...=Core_Download

Spray out test panels to test and make sure of the finish you require. Let me know if he can't do small quantities or point you to someone using these. The main problem will be the quantities, hardeners come in 1 litre. But if someone is using these in the area you can sometime buy just the amount you require. There maybe a car painter who could do this for you.

Coating Supplies Ltd
    82 Clyde St Invercargill 9810
    03-214 1840

Last edited by Wild game havester; 21-07-2014 at 10:07 PM.
    Pengy and deepsouthaussie like this.

Cheers @Pengy im interested in making a relatively informed decision so the more kinfo I csn process the better. @7mmsaum are you pulling my leg got a message from a scott at ssrnz saying he doesnt own a gun and knows nothing of what im after haha?
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by deepsouthaussie View Post
    Cheers @Pengy im interested in making a relatively informed decision so the more kinfo I csn process the better. @7mmsaum are you pulling my leg got a message from a scott at ssrnz saying he doesnt own a gun and knows nothing of what im after haha?
    you will have more luck with this email addy

ssrnz@xtra.co.nz
    BRADS and PERRISCICABA like this.

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by deepsouthaussie View Post

Ssrnz@xtra.co.nz is Scott trails email addy

The Scott you spoke to is a roofing expert in napier
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Hahaha. Yeah got the wrong website. Coincidence there was a scott there too! Thanks @7mmsaum

Quote Originally Posted by Wild game havester View Post
    If your in the depth south. Talk to Andy at Coating Supplies Ltd, he should be able to sort you out. Lechler have some etches, a black 'wash etch' would be best, as you don't want build just rust protection and a bond coat.

This is a single pack etch; https://portal.lechler.eu/DesktopMod...EntryId=136089

or for a 2 pack etch use Lechler 29107,;https://portal.lechler.eu/DesktopMod...EntryId=136093

For top coat a Black automotive base coat catalysed with 2 pack fast hardener, should give you the finish, light even coats give a flatter finish (less is best, just get proper cover for protection).( check comparability with primer.) you could also use camouflage colours.tans greens browns.

Spies Hecker Spectroflex maybe another solution, would need to check durability and gloss level.ask Andy.

If you want to paint your stock, you can get a soft matt finish with this ; https://portal.lechler.eu/DesktopMod...=Core_Download

Spray out test panels to test and make sure of the finish you require. Let me know if he can't do small quantities or point you to someone using these. The main problem will be the quantities, hardeners come in 1 litre. But if someone is using these in the area you can sometime buy just the amount you require. There maybe a car painter who could do this for you.

Coating Supplies Ltd
    82 Clyde St Invercargill 9810
    03-214 1840

Thanks for that mate very much appreciated. . I will have a think about that. one issue is not having all my own spray painting gear. Cost would increase significantly buying it all but will pop in and see what the materials will cost next time I go past Clyde street.

Cheers

I did my .22 with rattle can Metal Protect I got from Placemakers, came out nice and it seems pretty tough, no scratches or flaking after 18 months or so. Will be doing my AR with some colorpak cans soon, but it's alloy so I'm not worried about rust prevention.

@Whisper was telling me about a product you can do at home but cant remember what it was called. hopefully he chimes in and tell us what it is