Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Costs involved in creating a fibreglass boat

have you looked at Pelin Dory plans for home building, similar points, shallow draft,stability increases with load,easily driven.

yep dorys are pretty common around here for the netting guys,
    one with a rail along the bottom to lift it up and plane easyier would do, but its not really what I was hoping for
    I literally have 3 boats at the moment, 2.7m 5.2m and a 5.7hard top
    this is just me getting an itchy arse

I just want one by no means do I need one

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    those starco pangas are spot on, but they are just importing Chinese ones and tripleing the price which urks me to no end

If I was to flip one upside down, and essentially just lay the glass over top of it then pop it off and put the strenghtening parts inside would I be able to go that way and bypass the mould step?

is it possible to get it smooth this way or will it be as rough as guts
    Yep you could do that. The shape would need to be angles that would allow you to easily pop it off, hopefully with out destroying one or the other. They use a petting gel or similar mould making gel so it doesn't stick. Inside of yr boat would be smooth, and the hull surface would be glass textured, and not smooth.

You could fill the hull with micro balloons and epoxy, then you would have to fair it back with long boards. Give you and a couple of mates a good work out.
    Once you got it looking good with faired filler, you could use a number of paint systems to prep for painting.
    There are high builds you can use to fill in the small holes before undercoating.

I'm not sure about polyester resin filers as I haven't used but I'm sure you must be able to get them.

The rule of thumb for Resin families is epoxy will stick to polyester but not other way around. Most production boats are glass and polyester resin.

All ways hard to estimate how much filler is required and the associated costs.

fair enough mate thanks for the info

You could also build it with glass over a foam core using temporary frames, either internal or external. This would be much lighter than glass over ply.

If that involves anything to do with polystyrene I wont even consider it, I cant stand touching the stuff

No definitly not, its not strong enough, something like Corecell or Divinicell, it is even worse to touch..... Its very comon for sail boats
    deadidick likes this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Starco Panga on Trade Me I can see the allure. This looks the shizzle. Are they Chinese made? Can you import direct?
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

This bloke has plans for different styles of boats, glass over ply builds. Don't know what size you are looking at, but this is for a 24 footer.

Bowdidge Marine Designs / The Run Riot 24

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Starco Panga on Trade Me I can see the allure. This looks the shizzle. Are they Chinese made? Can you import direct?
    you can mate look on alibaba

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detai....29.244.MMucSj

that one is pretty spec'd up if you look hard and buy a container lot you can get the price right down

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detai...57.29.1.oumGSD

thats a 7m one

that is a really good looking boat, no delta pad tho and lacks the steps of the hull so its not really a panga

their figures are eye opening,

EXTERIOR GRADE B/C PLYWOOD
    9mm - 19 sheets approx
    12mm - 14 sheets approx

RESIN & GLASS (for coatings and reinforced areas)
    Epoxy resin & Hardener - 200kg
    400-450g/sq.m Double Bias - 150 sq.m
    4 kg glue powder ( Cabosil)
    4 kg Q-Cells ( fairing powder)
    Optional:
    Expandable foam for (buoyancy compartments) 6 x 4 litre tins (part A and part B = 4 litres)