Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By stumpy
  • 1 Post By stumpy
  • 1 Post By Barryeye

Thread: DIY parkerising

DIY parkerising

found this on another site ...... may help someone out .....

Now before I start giving you the info.. let me just say EYES GLOVES AND MASKS.. we are playing with some caustic chemicals here. Nothing to be afraid of but still..

This recipe is so simple that I was sure it was not going to work.. but it did.

First you get one gallon of distilled water

Break open a D Cell battery must be an alkaline one , cut the end off and took out all the black powder(manganese dioxide). Tap the end of the battery with a hammer, and the end cap will come off with some help from needle nose pliers. Make sure you ONLY get the black stuff and not the silver stuff in the inner core. You don't want that. Break up this stuff in a bag with a hammer to make it more of a powder.

Next up get yourself a 0000 steel wool pad, cut it in half and wash it good with water or spray it down with some brake cleaner, you want all the oils out of it.

Next hit up your local home depot and get yourself some klean strip phosphoric prep and etch (This is nasty stuff, some of you might know.. its 80%+ phosphoric acid handle with gloves on only)

In a stainless steel bowl, boil your distilled water, Black powder from your battery and your steel wool pad. Get the temp up to around 180-190 and eventually that steel wool pad will start to dissolve. Once done, add the klean strip phosphoric prep and etch (About 1/3rd a cup full) to the mix and bring it back up to temperature.

Once up to temp, drop in your part. I chose a glock barrel as I wanted to get this one in the black again (someone polished it when I got it)

Let the part sit in there for about 20 or so mins. I used those cheap range earplugs to plug the barrel so nothing got inside but it wont harm it if a tiny bit gets in.. I plan on getting better barrel plugs in the future however.

Take the part out, wash with hot water, and spray on some CLP and let it soak. It should be ready to use in about 12 hours.

Here is a crummy pic.. but its the best i could do with this cam. Before I did this this barrel had NO finish on it, totally in the white. Now its got a nice dark manganese phosphate dark parkerized finish on it. It looks shiny because its soaked in oil right now.

In person the thing looks brand new!

Anyone got any guns they want re-done.. heh I can see this is going to be an addiction lol

Brian, tararua and Barryeye like this.
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

Have you done this yourself Stumpy ?

I may try it soon on a p226 barrel .... will let you all know , it looks easy

chlorogene on waione st has phosphoric acid cheap as chips stumpy

Page 82 of the latest issue (April/May 2015) of "The Shed" magazine has a 6 page article on DIY Parkerizing.
    @stumpy, can you provide a link to the website article you found?

jeeze .... I clicked on a link from "homemade tools" website ... then put gunsmithing in the search bar ... and found that post .... DIY parkerizing solution - Nevada Shooters

http://www.nevadashooters.com/showth...8391#post58391
    stretch likes this.

I will be very interested in how you get on Stumpy. I live in your neck of the woods and would be willing to share costs.
    stumpy likes this.

DIY parkerising

Length of SS pipe cut in half and end capped and a couple of electric jobs would be a good little set up
    You can do grey or black depending on Ya ingredients

Sent from the swamp

ok , so I have done this ..............and I think I fuked it up , .... there is no Parkerising ....more, like I stripped all colour of the damn thing .....I will put up pics shortly