Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rupert

Thread: Home made aluminium stock questions

Home made aluminium stock questions

Looking at trying to build an aluminium stock for my grunig 308, design like a dolphin aluminium stock. Anyone done this before and have any tips? Not sure what to do about the grunig large barrel block arrangement, and how to inlet it. Any help appreciated.

how about you make a wooden pattern and get one cast

I still have an early model Grunig and Elmiger with that great dork hanging off the action. Mine is still in its original Anschutz style stock. When I rebedded it the block presented a challenge.... Talking to one of the older club shooters he mentioned that some owners got the block milled off and fitted a different recoil lug arrangement. Not sure I would want to try that though.

Get a friend with a good milling machine , a Paire of wise and a long block of aluminium .... That would be a start

yeah mines the same, anschutz stock but the previous owner modified it so im looking to replace it, would like to leave the block there if i could, not keen on modifying it that far.

Martin358 has the idea, +1 for making a wooden model and having it cast. I worked for a short time in an aluminium and brass foundry when I was about 20. I needed to fit two carbs to a Triumph 500. I made the wooden manifold model and had it cast in aluminum. Wasn't difficult even for my first go at the process. Made a half dozen more and sold them to others in the same situation as I was in (getting anything from the UK was really difficult). So, if you are going to make one stock, don't. It is just as easy to make half a dozen more and sell them on to others who also need them.
    WallyR likes this.

The issue with casting is you lose any temper and hence wind up with a softer final product, I would rather machine out of a billet of 6061 t6 Or out of thinner sheet and bolt laminate to retain temper and strength, not that the recoil on a 308 is large, but why start with a softer product

Agree, maybe using 40x10mm bar might work for your situation as it did for my latest build. Pictured here:

http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n.../index293.html

Used a dropsaw and table router, hand drilled and tapped assembly. PM me is you want any other details.

Exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of

if i could figure out how to PM on this thing i would.

ebf
    really depends on the machines you have access to... mill ? can you weld alu ?

also, what is the rifle going to be used for ? prone only f-class type shooting or something else.

little metals in chc is a good source for 7075

browse thru the accurate shooter image archives, there are loads of interesting designs.

another factor to consider is the barrel you have, if it has a long knox form or straight profile you could consider a barrel clamp design.
    Last edited by ebf; 17-08-2016 at 10:17 PM.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

ebf
    forgot to say as well that the grip mount on the dolphin is the bomb - simple but very effective. if you can make something similar you have loads of options in terms of aftermarket ar15 grips

Rifle will be used for prone/bench. My plan was to drill and tap most joins, not weld, will have to swap some sparky work for access to mill.
    I'll have to take a closer look at the dolphin grip. Was looking at a barrel clamp designs but never seen one in the flesh. Think they are a great idea.
    Yeah ive been through a lot of the accurate shooter stuff but wanted ideas/tips from some locals.

ebf
    You up in Northland right ? Have a chat to Iain at the Whangarei club.