Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Homebrew beer, who's doing it?

Haha, nicely put, I'm definitely no threat to lion or db either. I'll give it a couple more tries...then I'll admit defeat and come to the dark side of witch craft and boiling pots?

I'm a slow learner though, so it will take a couple more failures for me to get there

We just opened our first bottle of chocolate malt stout. Only three weeks in the bottle but despite a lack of bubbles, bloody good.
    Won't be tipping this down the sink.
    kimjon likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    I have only done one kit beer and had similar results. Not bad but Lion and DB certainly were not getting too worried. I guess you can work them up to be better but All Grain is a good step up.
    Put 30L into the boil pot today. Just have to take my girls to the circus so will finish it off tonight.
    I like the pot.! Did ya put the ball valve and temp gauge on yourself?

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deepsouthaussie View Post
    I like the pot.! Did ya put the ball valve and temp gauge on yourself?

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
    Nah. It's a off the shelf pot from http://www.brewshop.co.nz/brewing-eq...ith-ports.html.
    My HLT though is a converted 20L keg. Had a mate weld 2 x 1/2" sockets on.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Three brews down now, the first was drinkable...just. the second was shit, ands was tipped out. And the third rates promising, very promising...

Kj

Ok, I'm repeating myself but what the hell its Friday and I'm getting pissed, sorry drunk, on my own stuff so what the hell: toss any instructions, they are not worth shite, brew for four weeks minimum, then bottle for at lest another four, more will improve flavour, if you get impatient then buy more bottles do you can brew more beer...

Kits are ok. But you are just rehydrating someone's else's beer, ever had rehydrated food that tasted better than fresh, just saying...biab is easy, all grain requires more equipment, buy are really big pot and get a ball valve welded on, seriously it's an investment!
    kiwijames and kimjon like this.

1.060 into the kettle from 6.5kg grain.
    This isn't going to be a session APA
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

That's a flash hydrometer. Mine looks like a sex toy and floats in a tube.

Kj

Quote Originally Posted by kimjon View Post
    That's a flash hydrometer. Mine looks like a sex toy and floats in a tube.

Kj
    Refractometer. Thought it would be the ducks nuts. Shame as it is so slow the hydrometer is about as fast to cool a 100ml sample. ATC supposedly but it drifts and wanders about to be such a pain in the ass.

Made this tonight, a bottle drying rack. Pretty low tech...but should work like a charm!

Kj
    kiwijames and Shelley like this.

Just waiting patiently for this season's walnuts to grow so I can harvest some and make more norcino...molto bello...
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

I usae 1.5litre softdrink bottles to bottle minand wait for it I cleaned the bastards with the water blaster-stack crates on side against thedriveway fence c-feed in a hefty janola brew via wash bottle on the blaster leave for 10mins then hit em with water .
    always did the job.also that long filler tube -you can just connect a piece of tubing to your tap and go from bottle to bottle pinching its end when bottle is full.