Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: New Build

New Build

Just about to start a new build , its going to be a close copy of a USMC M40A1 rifle , here's a pic of the stock , will post others as I get the rest of the parts etc .

DAF and R93 like this.

R93
    7.62 as well?
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

A worthy build, very cool. Will you try and get the Unertl 10x or a US optics replica?

As USO actually refurbed old Unertls as well as making their version of IT called the MST-100 , which differed in that the USMC wanted to be able to mount them in a 30 moa canted rail , and this was hard to do with the Unertl , the main difference was a small button that stuck out at 45 degrees , this allowed room for a coil spring , that and they used SS for the knobs , as the steel ones rusted bad , and a new way to make the reticle , all out of steel , rather than the steel & drops of paint to get the mildots , these scopes had to be kept out of the heat/ on hot days , covered , or the mildots would basically melt off .

As the USMC used both Unertl & USO scopes , its not wrong to use a USO MST-100 .

If you look at pics of my Parker Hale M87/C3A1 build , you will see it uses a USO MST-100 , and this M40A1 will use a MST-100 as well .
    It will use a USO M40A1 scope mount as well , the main area , where mine will differ from the std M40A1 replicas , is I will be using a Badger Ord , trigger guard , which is a heavy one piece bit of kit , and in my view , much better than the modied & chopped steel , Win70 guard .

In reguard to calibre , YES it has to be 308WIN , as the scope is cammed just for a 173-175gr bullet at 2600 fps ,

shooternz likes this.

Here's some pics of some one else's M40A1 , and pics of the USO clip slot scope mount .

DAF, Normie, 7mmsaum and 6 others like this.

The scope mounts rings are brazed/welded to the base , so they cannot come off , and has recoil lug front and rear , the action has to have a small square taken out at the back , just as the old Mauser98 , ie so you can fit a 5rd srtipper clip into the slot , and at the front a very small 1/2 circle , like 6mm dia , so the bullet tip clears .
    Clip slotted actions where in use as target rifles , and as such had iron aperture sights .
    In this case they used 40x target actions , and made a scope mount to fit into this cutting & lock in place .

Cheers Chris

What barrel are you using? I have a 7.62 40X I want to restore to original specs I want to get a barrel with the correct measurements any help would be appreciated. Robert.

At this stage , I am unsure what i will use , as to barrel , the profile I will use , will be a bit different , as well , the M40s have no straight section at all at the start , I will use 1-2 inche straight at start to bed better for support of barrel .
    The profile is basically a Douglas #7 , specs call for 1.18 at start to 0.90 at muzzle , at 24 inches , a straght taper of about .01159 per inche .
    The 1st had Atkinson barrels , then HS-Precision , then Hart barrels , twist rate is 1-12 .

If you want more on the specs of a M40A1 build , go to snipershide , they have a sticky , thread about it .
    I would like to go with a bartlein barrel , but it will depend on whats available in NZ at the moment etc .

Cheers Chris

Did they have a shorter cocking piece on the fiberglass stock equipped rifles or was this phased out with the first m40 wood stocked rifle?

Not 100% sure , but think the 1st , M40 as used in Nam ( wood stock 40x ) , had the short shroud , later ones did not .

GOOD news , my brand new MST-100 scope & mount are in NZ right now , Bad news , is they try to deliver today , while I'm at work , BUGGER , so it will sit in post office for the next several day s

If it goes Boom; I'm there faregame's Avatar
    Can you call them
    They may deliver to work instead

sent via tapatalk

Just got the scope & mount

7mmsaum and R93 like this.

LJP
    That scope looks freakn solid. If you broke the rifle the scope looks like it would double as a club

Ejected
    This is a cool build. Think I may have to follow suit. Where/who are the best people to source parts from?
    Where did you score the stock and scope off, and how accurate is the camming on those things?