Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Norinco 22wmr project

Good thread Cambo I am watching with interest.
    I am also a bit of a Norinco .22 magnum fan. You can still buy magazines new for as low as $50 (5shot). What I did was bought a couple of the earler models JW15D which had 10 shot magazines cheap on trade me and put a 5shot magazine on and resold. Occasionally 5 shot magazines come up on Trade Me and I have bought some for as little as $20.
    I bought one of these rifles over 25 years ago, put a cheap 6x nikko stirling scope on it (still on it with no problems), and I would hate to think what it has shot, it would have shot 2 or 3 deer, several goats, literally 100s of wallabies, god knows how many rabbits and hares(500+ rabbits in one day when they were in their peak in central) and probably about 40+ cattle beasts (homekill).
    This old rifle looks like shit but still shoots like shit. I use Winchester 40gr HP and buy it in 10 brick lots normally a couple of times a year but I religiously clean it thoroughly after use. All I have done to it is a minor trigger adjustment and cleaned out the forend so the barrel doesnt touch the stock anymore.
    I was going to keep one of the other Norincos I bought and get it threaded for a suppressor for night shooting just as you have done but instead bought one of the only .22mags that I have seen that shoots better than my old Norinco magnum already threaded,a Marlin XT. I doubt if the Marlin will outlast my Norinco. Incidentally the other 3 I bought and passed on also shot oK.
    I did hear the other day of a gunsmith that will not thread Norincos because sometimes the bore is not centred correctly in the barrel.
    Critics down cry and boohoo them because of their finish but just about all of my mates that have used mine have gone and bought one the same.
    Mine is my go to rifle. I also own a .22, a .17hmr and a ,223 but if I could only have 1 rifle I would keep my .22magnum Norinco.
    So keep posting your progress.

Thanks Cambo

The scope itself is good. solid and well made... Don't know if I am sold on non-locking target turrets on a bush rifle though... It just seems a bit like asking for them to be bumped and at the crucial moment your scope is out a couple of inches

cheers
    Tracy

Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    That 104 look real good now.

How do you find that scope?
    I need to look for a better scope for on the wmr.

ive also got the bushrangerin 7.62x39.Mine is glass bedded with barrel bed sealed by glass &mat.
    freefloated up till last 2"before recoil lug. she is tapped for a suppressor which she shares with big sister the venerable no4 mk1 .303.admittedly my gear is from guncity &tm but what the hell im having a ton of fun doing it myself and as we have a resident porker population round our duckshooting pond guess whats travelling with the 12guage!
    my recoil pad-chinese $6.00 jandals -bloody excellent !
    one comment-for some reason mine likes the 125gn tucker better than 123gn .303 is same -sprays 150gn rds like mad womens shit,but 180gn trundle down the line sweet as.

Finally managed to track down another mag for the rifle.
    Only problem is it is real bad quality compared to my other mag.
    Bottom kept coming off and mag spring and follower drops out. Ended up giving the mag a few adjustments and the base stays on now.
    Also found out the bloddy thing jams in the rifle.
    Is real tight to get to lock in place and then it is stuck in and needs a screwdriver to lever out.

Think I know what causes it though. The small cut outs are for the retainer/release. The crappy mag is in the pic on the left.
    There's quite a difference in the shape of the cut outs.
    I'm going to try and file/die grind them out a wee bit to see it that fixes the issue.

Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh