Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Parker Hale Restoration - Need advice

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Make sure the bottom end of the recoil pad follows the angle line of the butt right down to the toe. Have seen plenty of pads installed by D.I.Y's that had the pad squared off instead of the above and they look terrible.
    Rusky and shooternz like this.

Ok guys, I've managed to get scope mounted, stud holes fixed, and now I'm about to sand back recoil pad while fixed on butt.

I've given the flat bottom of the pad a light sand to remove any imperfections from manufacturer. And I've cut and sanded down the butt end. However, the two don't sit flush against each other leaving a very small gap of less then a mil despite spending large amounts of time sanding.

I'm thinking it might be easier to go ahead and sand the edges down and fill the gap with something black that will blend right in. It's not much of a gap, but enough to annoy me. Any suggestions?

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Don't use that thing to mount the rear ring - period.

Best option, is a steel bodied scope (hard to get) with a rail that bolts to the solid wall on the left side of the receiver.
    I have one of these if you want it and it works for you. It came on a brno model 2e I brought and had a rail mounted on the scope and then mounts on the rail that attached to the dovetail on the brno. Free to a good home if you are doing the world a service by saving old rifles. PM me your e-mail and I will send you pics.

Thanks Massive attack. The base mount part I got was actually manufactured for the 303 Enfield I have so it looks good I reckon with the gun. Having said that I'm restoring the 223 Brno next with a sand, re-oil and re-blue ing the barrel. I'll get back to you about that part in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Don't use that thing to mount the rear ring - period.

LE actions are rear-locking (the lugs are at the back of the bolt) so every time you touch the trigger the action body or receiver stretches and relaxes. That is why the scopes kept dying on these or falling off or refusing to hold any sort of zero...
    Combine that with a rear scope base that pivots up and down and have a think about the groups you will end up with...

Best option, is a steel bodied scope (hard to get) with a rail that bolts to the solid wall on the left side of the receiver.

Failing that, a set of PH rings with the full-length steel rail that bolts onto the receiver ring and the top of the charger bridge. But you definately need some sort of solid mount that will absorb the shock and stretch of firing otherwise you'll be disappointed with an otherwise-accurate rifle that won't hold it's zero...
    Its not all that bad! The no4 was the strongest of the lee enfield actions and plenty were converted to .308 under the enfield envoy name and fitted with scopes to good effect. I see its a long branch so will have two great big grooves for rifling, but they can be suprisingly accurate. Gary P s mount should do the trick for you. There is also an ati ali one available at reloaders, but have no idea how good they are.

The ati mount i had sucked , it was too high and is only held solid by set screws lock tighting them made it better but it was still too high, and mine had a montecarlo style stock. If i were to do it again id get done whats on my brno mauser action and get a weaver rail mounted on

Well I've finally finished it. Overall Im pretty happy with it. Thanks to all of you who gave me some advice along the way, certainly learnt a bit. The guys at Gun City were awesome in finding me a scope base mount that actually were made for these rifles, they new what I was looking for and I had the part in my hands within 3 working days. Can't say much for the service of another gun store down the road (too hard basket?). Took it for a walk in the Kaimais yesterday, but deer sightings were low despite the blue skies after the week of rain, and the ones I spooked gave me the slip.

Name:  IMG_4596.JPG
Views: 249
Size:  85.5 KB

Name:  IMG_4598.JPG
Views: 228
Size:  86.3 KB

Name:  IMG_4655.JPG
Views: 358
Size:  226.4 KB

Name:  IMG_4656.JPG
Views: 242
Size:  142.9 KB

Name:  IMG_4657.JPG
Views: 259
Size:  143.8 KB
    jakewire and gadgetman like this.

Thad does look pretty good. How does it shoot? The mount looks interesting does it lock onto the charger bridge or replace it.

Hi Marty. Yet to test it out at range but it has been bore sighted and most of my shots are taken within 50 yards while bush hunting.

Mount locks onto the charger by two threaded lock type screws. Very fickle design but it works real well and some thought has gone into it.

locktight the set screws take it from experience
    Rusky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jakesae101 View Post
    locktight the set screws take it from experience
    Yes that's right. Time will tell if they work and keep true zero.