Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Same Woman - different dress

Same Woman - different dress

Hi

My Weatherby looked like arse in its POS plastic stock, so I decided to make a stock for it today.

I've basically finished it, but I want to turn down the barrel as its way too heavy and this is the only way I can realistically drop any weight. I'll cut it down to 16'' while I'm at it which should take off about 1.5-2.5lb as the current contour is a heavy bull barrel.

I fitted a Remington (BDL long action) trigger guard, as the Weatherby one is very ugly and square. The Remington one works with a modyfied weathery box inside. The long action Remington hole spacing is the same as the Weatherby's medium action which was a bonus too. The spring and hinge even work which is very cool.

I'll finish the stock once I have the barrel contour turned down, then I'll bed it and oil it. Anyway here are some pics:

Note: the barrel channel on this stock has been routered to suit the smaller contour I'll be going with, so at this point in time the bull barrel wont sit in the channel.

Kj
    Last edited by kimjon; 17-11-2012 at 09:23 PM.

Very nice

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Master craftsman type work there kimjon. It never ceases to amaze me how you blokes on here work with your rifles. I am very much a buy it, use as it came rifle owner. the only modification I have ever done is to tie a bit of cotton around the muzzle as a wind indicator.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Master craftsman type work there kimjon. It never ceases to amaze me how you blokes on here work with your rifles. I am very much a buy it, use as it came rifle owner. the only modification I have ever done is to tie a bit of cotton around the muzzle as a wind indicator.

Cheers Rushy

That was the best hunting tip I was ever given as a young hunter starting out. I went from walking around the bush fluking the odd deer to tipping them over on a regular basis after the penny dropped on how important wind direction was.

kj

WOW!!! The barrel chop and re-contour took 3lb off the overall weight!!!

I went with a BSA style barrel contour which I've done before on my .223 with great success, but loosing 3lb of weight was a very welcome outcome. It was 8.5lb before and now its only 5.5lb which is awesome.

Now that the barrel contour fits into the barrel channel, I can see that it doesn't quite work aesthetically at the mo, so I'll bed it and then do the finial changes to the shape to make look a bit ''slimmer'' in the forend and pistol grip areas to suit the new lines of that the skinny barrel creates.

kj
    stingray likes this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Jeez thats some handy work KJ. Id never thought id see the day I 'd like a Weatherby Nice looking wood too. What is it?

Thats a substantial weight loss
    Who did the barrel for you?
    Be interested to see if its got "fussy' with the loads it likes now or not.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Jeez thats some handy work KJ. Id never thought id see the day I 'd like a Weatherby Nice looking wood too. What is it?
    Haha, me too.

The wood is Walnut, that has been seasoned for 30+ years. It was a reject bit that I got off Ted Stone about 25 years ago and never did anything with. It has a few faults in the wood...but I've designed around them as best I can.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Thats a substantial weight loss
    Who did the barrel for you?
    Be interested to see if its got "fussy' with the loads it likes now or not.
    Arthur Cleland did this one for me. I'd usually do my own lathe work, but most of my tools are in long term storage at the moment. Lukily to make a stock you only need a router ($65 from placemakers), a ''cheese greater'' rasp, a saw and some sand paper.

I worked up two loads for it when it had an 18'' heavy barrel and both shot well, one was sub-sonic which is really the entire purpose of this build with a 240SMK projectile, and another in super-sonic with 110gr projectiles. Both shot very well, but what else would you expect from a Trueflight barrel. The new profile should still shoot well, I'm never going to get it hot as its not designed to be a high volume shooter.

kj
    Last edited by kimjon; 24-11-2012 at 09:38 AM.

Naracoorte South Australia/From South Canterbury
    What shape of router bits do you use and did you do all the inletting with the router?
    Nice work

On initially seeing it I had assumed you had been on the mill. Thats some pretty tidy router work. Did well to keep the inletting square. A press set up for mortis and tennon joints can be handy for those sorts of tasks but not something I would buy specifically for it (just handy if you have access to one)

I love the mini router I just brought from placemakers, its so easy to man handel about. I mainly use a 1/4'' square and a 1/2'' radius bit. The router is pretty easy to ''freestyle'' on wood like walnut or maple etc as the grain is very forgiving and wont punish you if you go againts it like other timber can. I don't even bother with the router guides anymore, I just do it all by hand. A few years ago when I first tried making stocks I'd spend hours and hours getting a perfect wood metal fit, but now I only worry about the bits you'll see (the top), anything else is pretty rough...but the epoxy bedding will hide it

kj
    Munsey likes this.

Banned
    Thats great craftmanship mate.

Okay, I finally found some spare time to finish this stock. Sorry about the shitty pics (my cell phone) it doesn't really do it justice.

kj

Have you thought about checkering it?
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Have you thought about checkering it?
    Nah, I know my own limitations. It would look like a 10yr old did it if I had a go at checkering.

kj