Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 6 Post By big_foot
  • 1 Post By big_foot
  • 3 Post By big_foot

Thread: Second time round

Second time round

Cant remember if I covered it on here or not but a few years back I got an old Vostok 17-01. It underwent a pretty radical transformation coming out as a straight pull bull pup kinda thing, it worked all right but was over complicated and had a few issues, I decided on re-doing it a bit but got to the point where I knew I just wasn't going to be satisfied with any extent of alterations on that platform.

The MK1
    Name:  PC180095.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  1.04 MB

So on Sunday evening, knowing I was about to have three days to myself I got to work on a scuzzy ol' chunk of 9mm ply. Cut 6 peices out of the desired shape then laminated them with epoxy resin.
    Name:  221.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  39.0 KB

Did most of the outside shaping with the belt sander and the inside bits with the router....touchy stuff alright...very little done with a rasp @Toby
    Name:  222.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  29.4 KB

The MK1 required the bolt handle to be lopped off so to replace it I stepped the end of the stub then mirrored the step on an m8 thread then mig welded it at work, ground it down then run a die nut over it. While waiting for the laminating to happen I zinged a new aluminium one up on the lathe.
    Name:  223.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  22.4 KB

Once I was happy with the shape I gave her a nice thick coat of epoxy, followed by some rigorous sanding, followed by another nice thick coat.
    Name:  224.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  19.0 KB

Then 3 coats of primer (sanding in between) and 3 coats of matt black, she was ready for final assembly
    Name:  225.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  46.4 KB

Final product surely aint the prettiest swan on the lake but is showing a bit more promise than the MK1
    Name:  226.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  34.2 KB

As no one had anything bad to say about the el cheapo bipods on tm I got one on the way, and at $25 its 100% of the money Ive had to fork out for this project

Think I might have a armature for that triton saw if you want to hold a spare, just in case?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Think I might have a armature for that triton saw if you want to hold a spare, just in case?
    cheers mate, forgive my ignorance but whats an armature?

The bit that spins with the blade on it, they tend to burn out every now and then, I'll check if I still have it on Monday. You will never use it unles you need it, then you'll be pissed off! Hahahahahahahahaha
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    The bit that spins with the blade on it, they tend to burn out every now and then, I'll check if I still have it on Monday. You will never use it unles you need it, then you'll be pissed off! Hahahahahahahahaha
    Haha roger that, its just got a skil saw bolted on underneath and Ive got 2 more sitting on the shelf

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    When you had it as a straight pull, did you have the bolt handle stub running in a cam groove in your top cover or something?
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by ishoot10s View Post
    When you had it as a straight pull, did you have the bolt handle stub running in a cam groove in your top cover or something?
    yeah it was a slot cut into a plate on an angle that part actually worked quite well, it was getting the trigger and charging bars past the magazine that I run into trouble.
    ishoot10s likes this.

Great work on the conversion.I just don't have the patience for that. What's the accuracy like now that you've put it together?

Quote Originally Posted by Tararua Phil View Post
    Great work on the conversion.I just don't have the patience for that. What's the accuracy like now that you've put it together?
    Cheers, I just like pissing round in my shed, wouldnt mind doing one for my .308 (obviously not out of pine) so need all the practice I can get. Havent had a shot hopefully get it out next weekend at the latest.

Slight change of plan, the el-cheapo chiny scope proved the "get what you pay for" thoery right. Went to bore sight it and the movement I could get was extremely tight, no great loss.

Decided the best remedy for the situation was to fit the Redfeild 3-9x40 off the .308 and she got the open sights put back on, I figured Ive been taking the 12g out mostly and the deer I have shot with the .308 would have been easy if not easier with open sights.

Was gunna buy a slip on suppressor but decided to get busy in the shed, alluminium lopper handle, lathed up some nylon bits to fit it, quick spray of black, works like a treat

Had a bit of a brain fart and modified a scope ring to a camera mount so I can get yous all some varmint slaying action clips

Name:  mk2.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  55.6 KB
    Toby, Scouser and Gibo like this.

Took it out to sight it in the other day, can consistently hit my 80x80 plate at 100 yards with cci subs despite the horribly heavy trigger. Zero is at 9 yards then 100, 120mm high at 55