Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Book Review...Mud, Sweat and Tears by Bear Grylls

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    My apologies, I didn't mean to offend. Wasn't sympathy. Was meant to be encouragement.
    You didnt offend me at all. We authors are very temperamental 'rushy' You know that. The encouragement will serve a better use aimed at the forum.

Books can survive Good Publicity and Bad Publicity..... but not indifference and it is this type of indifference that is always going to kill the 'Resource Library' portion of this forum off.

A good forum is about a little more than squeezing that extra 40 FPS out of some obscure calibre.
    Last edited by Scribe; 03-07-2012 at 02:24 PM.
    eltoro likes this.

sturg4
    Sorry EeeeBeees we have hijacked your thread.

Good on you for kicking off with a book review.

Scribe I think you may be expecting a little to much a little to soon. This is a very young forum with a growing but very small following. I see your thread only went up on the 19th and has 62 views. If that was a trade me aucton I wouldn't expect any success at all.
    I would genuinely like to read your book.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

sturg4
    Hallo 'sneeze' my first book went up on the board a lot earlier than the 19th.

This is not trade me I am not trying to sell anyone anything.
    These are both books that have always appealed to hunters, but they have recieved a very limited response in our library on here.
    The second book got no response at all.

This is book reading weather. If you cant be encouraged to pick up a book now then what is it going to be like come spring

Remember this is our own resource library section I thought that I could give a bit of a nudge along.

Its not about the books at all, they have been around long enough to stand on there own merit and have recieved plenty of very good reviews. ...Perhaps I will copy some of these reviews onto the thread to create a bit of interest.

This remember is a resource library and its books are meant to be read...I am not going leave the book sitting there unread while everybody thinks to themselves they must be bloody awful books no one wants to read them.

If 'sneeze' as you say you genuinely want to read one of the books whats stopping you. Hell there must be readers among us besides myself who have struggled to find something worth reading this last month.
    Last edited by Scribe; 03-07-2012 at 05:41 PM.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by scottrods View Post
    I've already read it, and I found it a light read.

I accept that the territorial SAS are a different bunch from the full timers but those guys have to still go to work and achieve the same tests and pass rates at the weekend afterwards. They still do jobs in theatres around the world as much as a reg SAS. I'd find it hard to say they are any less elite.

I dont doubt his soldiering qualities but, it is to me, annoying with the way his short time in a reserve unit is thrived upon. I know a couple of ex 22 regs that feel the same.
    How can the standards and criteria be the same from fulltime to part-time? Impossible when you only serve a month or 2 total out of a year and some modules are 3-6 months long for regular troopers.
    So therefore the standards required have to be different. Would you take your rifle to a full or part-time smith?

Aussie SAS got removed from the same status as 22 and 1 SAS for similar paradeing. I deal with an Aussie reserve SAS member everyday, that is a complete knob so maybe I am biased. He wears a peak cap with the wings and dagger on it everywhere. Most regulars I know, never showpony their membership in the unit. Only people close to them know what they do and sometimes they dont.
    Last edited by R93; 03-07-2012 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    I doubt if resource library will survive without a full life support system "Dundee"

I cant give away a book read not even by offering to pay the postage to the readers door. "Hey the book isnt that bad".

'I am outa there anyway' you just end up looking like a try hard if you try to persevere with something that has already got rigor mortis
    I do not understand your words, Scribe...a resource library is exactly that...when we look at all the sections and threads from us all, we are all contributing to a great forum...and whats more we all appreciate each others knowledge and experiences; especially the new hunters who are busting to know what others know...we are hunters, we feel more at home with fellow hunters than just about anyone else.

A try hard...what other way is there to be

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    So therefore the standards required have to be different. Would you take your rifle to a full or part-time smith?

Aussie SAS got removed from the same status as 22 and 1 SAS for similar paradeing. I deal with an Aussie reserve SAS member everyday, that is a complete knob so maybe I am biased. He wears a peak cap with the wings and dagger on it everywhere. Most regulars I know, never showpony their membership in the unit. Only people close to them know what they do and sometimes they dont.
    I like these comments That guy sounds like a tool. One of the things I love about 1NZSAS is that they are so modest. And secretive - I met the CSM of the group five years ago and he told me that for years his flatmates thought he was a rubbish truck driver when he was actually off training!
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Its your choice, you can stay the course and try and give this section a push along, leave your books here for the bennifit of those that have come and those that havn't made it here yet or you can withdraw them.I dont see the latter as being of any bennfit to anyone but I wont loose any sleep over it.If you really want to know whats stopping me from reading one of your books then drop me a PM, Im not putting my personal life in a public forum.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Hallo 'sneeze' my first book went up on the board a lot earlier than the 19th.

This is not trade me I am not trying to sell anyone anything.
    These are both books that have always appealed to hunters, but they have recieved a very limited response in our library on here.
    The second book got no response at all.

This is book reading weather. If you cant be encouraged to pick up a book now then what is it going to be like come spring

Remember this is our own resource library section I thought that I could give a bit of a nudge along.

Its not about the books at all, they have been around long enough to stand on there own merit and have recieved plenty of very good reviews. ...Perhaps I will copy some of these reviews onto the thread to create a bit of interest.

This remember is a resource library and its books are meant to be read...I am not going leave the book sitting there unread while everybody thinks to themselves they must be bloody awful books no one wants to read them.

If 'sneeze' as you say you genuinely want to read one of the books whats stopping you. Hell there must be readers among us besides myself who have struggled to find something worth reading this last month.

I would like to read your books Scribe,I was under the immpresion they were out being read at the mo and we had to wait our turn?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    I do not understand your words, Scribe...a resource library is exactly that...when we look at all the sections and threads from us all, we are all contributing to a great forum...and whats more we all appreciate each others knowledge and experiences; especially the new hunters who are busting to know what others know...we are hunters, we feel more at home with fellow hunters than just about anyone else.

A try hard...what other way is there to be
    Lets just look at the words Resource and Library EeeBeees. It is neither at the moment.
    Resources...It has none
    Library... it is not
    'Spanners' is right in his take on it. Certain resources will be needed to be put into it to attract people to it then perhaps Resource Library will have the chance to develope a life like most of the other sections have or are. Putting resources wont just be enough by itself, when the resources are there we must use them.

Perhaps the words 'A try hard' comes from a much older time 'EeeBees'

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I would like to read your books Scribe,I was under the impression they were out being read at the moment and we had to wait our turn?
    +1

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I would like to read your books Scribe,I was under the immpresion they were out being read at the mo and we had to wait our turn?
    Hulloo Vietnamcam The first book is out there 'dundee' has got it and 'spanners is having it next. The second has been sitting in the resource library since the 19th waiting for a reader... I took it out today.

To be frank, I have never understood what makes perfectly fit and sound humans want to jump out of perfectly fine aeroplanes...one thousand and one, one thousand and two

R93
    Hulloo Vietnamcam The first book is out there 'dundee' has got it and 'spanners is having it next. The second has been sitting in the resource library since the 19th waiting for a reader... I took it out today.
    I am keen to read both but will have to wait till I get home or a fixed abode here in OZ.

Lets just look at the words Resource and Library EeeBeees. It is neither at the moment.
    Resources...It has none
    Library... it is not
    'Spanners' is right in his take on it. Certain resources will be needed to be put into it to attract people to it then perhaps Resource Library will have the chance to develope a life like most of the other sections have or are. Putting resources wont just be enough by itself, when the resources are there we must use them.

Perhaps the words 'A try hard' comes from a much older time 'EeeBees'
    Patience, Grasshopper, put the book back on
    Ive got a better idea....why not call this section something else...like Good Reads and Reviews
    Last edited by EeeBees; 03-07-2012 at 09:02 PM. Reason: cos I wanted too!!!