Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: 100 Dairy cows Pb poisioned at Southland clay club

Fuck Brads I just sprayed my screen with beer
    Spanners, BRADS and Gibo like this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

i dont understand why he would slaughter the rest of the mob??? all the farmers i know would stay up night and day to try save 1 cow if they could.... sounds like a silly cunt to me.
    Bryan and Happy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    Two paragraphs in that report contradict themselves. Firstly they weren't in milk. Then farmer decided to kill the remaining stock.

quotes:
    "Approximately 20 affected cattle, from a mob of about 100 cows, died or were euthanised at that time, the farmer subsequently chose to humanely slaughter the remaining cattle. Some of the cattle were pregnant," MPI said in a statement issued to the Fiordland Advocate.''

(so the rest were killed?)

"Cattle were removed from the affected paddocks to safe grazing and have been monitored through tests on blood and milk to confirm milk from the cows was safe."

(How can the rest be moved if the first paragraph says the remaining stock were destroyed?)

(And the above paragraph says they were testing milk)

"Fonterra's general manager of milk supply, technical and assurance, Dianne Schumacher, said the herd was not milking at the time of the exposure and there was no food safety risk."

(You can't test milk if the cows aren't milking)

Something is wrong with that report......................... Oh wait, its the media
    That Schumacher a fast bitch!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

#4 is gold!!!!
    Spanners likes this.

You don't get lead poison overnight. It would take a little while to accumulate in the system of the cows I guess.

Doesn't lead sink? Just make sure you don't pour the milk bottle upside down in your cup of tee trying to get the last few drops and you should be fine
    Spanners and Gibo like this.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    1 vets are often wrong
    Particularly in poisoning cases.

2 this time of year nitrate levels are high in crops.

3 as has been pointed out by others nothing adds up.....someone is trying two get there dead cows paid for

4 I think your knob
    you are thinking about his knob?!!!!!

I do a shit load of shooting here and before I became the Boss the old man use to make me pick up the wads from the shotgun as he thought the cows might choke on the plastic and the shells that were left lying around the place.

Damned if he could get me to pick up the lead or steel that was fired.

The only cows that die from lead poisoning here,only died because someone squeezed a trigger
    Spanners likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

I heard of the same thing happening a few years ago the shot was caught in maize behind a gun club. Cows died but it wasn't quick.
    Think it was in the Manawatu

There are a vast number of variables which would affect lead uptake into crops. It's quite plausible that conditions were right in this paddock.

The bottom line is, it is ridiculous to compare what happened here to the paddocks that you shoot on which subsequently don't kill cows. Lead uptake was tested by:

a) a local vet (may have had vested interest, but unlikely)
    b) Fonterra - they have absolutely no reason to falsify positive pb results in the blood of stock, and
    c) Environment Southland, who also have absolutely no reason to falsify results.

d) I think the true knobs are people who insult others because they follow evidence-based reasoning rather than anecdotal "BUT ANIMALS DIDN'T DIE ON MY GUN CLUB'S LAND" reasoning. One test can be flawed. Two tests, unlikely, but possible. Three independent tests from separate organisations all confirming lb poisoning? Denying that is just silly. Incidentally, the blood test for lead is very basic, common, and accurate.

Ok, so maybe Environment Southland alone may have been suspicious - I guess they probably don't like lead entering the environment. But yeah, suggesting three independent groups all collaborated on this big conspiracy to pretend cattle died from lead poisoning? That's well and truly into the realm of tinfoil-hat crazy talk.

The end result is likely to be tougher resource consent restrictions for ranges (harder for any new ones being built ie new Ardmore Range, shotgun or not) and more restrictions in Council district plans on them too.
    All towards to the goal of banning lead completely in firearm projectiles Commiefornia style.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    The end result is likely to be tougher resource consent restrictions for ranges.................
    All towards to the goal of banning lead completely in firearm projectiles Commiefornia style.
    Didn't take long for one group to leap on the bandwagon. "An animal rights group wants lead hunting ammunition to be fully banned after 20 cows developed lead poisoning at a Southland farm....."

Some loony claims in the article from this group, such as , "...."We know that in New Zealand thousands of duck shooters still use shotguns that take lead shot and we know that every time they fire on cartridge about 200 lead pellets will end up in our environment...."

LINK HERE.......

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Sapper View Post
    Didn't take long for one group to leap on the bandwagon. "We know that in New Zealand thousands of duck shooters still use shotguns that take lead shot and we know that every time they fire on cartridge about 200 lead pellets will end up in our environment...."

I really gots to get meself one of those shotguns that can't fire lead. .

The Greenies say recycling is good for the environment.

hahaha was talking to a mate farming down the road from this poor bugger. only 20 cows died he didnt shoot the others just moved them of the crop. medias full of it as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I heard of the same thing happening a few years ago the shot was caught in maize behind a gun club. Cows died but it wasn't quick.
    Think it was in the Manawatu
    Yep Kopane. I think it was a maize crop , similar deal the shot accumulated in the standing plant.