Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Another Hunter Killed

Another Hunter Killed

Yet again. People need to be more careful.

Fatal Hunting Accident Near Rotorua - national | Stuff.co.nz
    If you don't get Dirt, Blood or Grease under your nails it ain't a hobby

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Yeh Normie, just read it on the Herald website. It is always tragic when something like this happens but this one sounds a bit dodgy as the police are talking to the guy that reported it but are looking for someone else that has done a runner. I think we will find that there is more to this than initially reported.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Far out, maybe I should stay home this weekend??
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Where are you off to Dougie?
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!

What are we doing wrong with our training of people in the use of firearms??

My young fella and his cobber both have just sat their firearms tickets...should this include a HUNT's course..should everyone be taken out into the scrub with an instructor and shown how to clearly identify their bloody target not sound not movement not colour? MAKE BLOODY SURE!!! Should they also be taken to a range to be taught how to safely handle a firearm and made to sit down at a range and shoot of a shit load of ammo to get the 'Rambo" (all new and exciting) urge out of em. I have done these things with both my lad and his mate.... The one thing I drilled into them is you CANNOT PUT THE BULLET BACK IN THE GUN!!

I'm not bloody perfect but come on people this is not acceptable!! We as a hunting community have to do a shit load better and do it NOW.
    Nil durum volenti !!

AOS are out looking for a guy. Also, word is that it might not be on public land. Area cordoned off too. Looks like a bit more than just 'failure to identify target'.

Yep, they wouldn't have an armed cordon wearing ballistic armor if it was an accident. Unless the offender has done a runner.

This is not good why is this happening

Well said Stingray!!!

I was quite surprised when getting my ticket that I was not even required to HOLD a firearm? Wtf? Luckily for me I have had an AWESOME best mate who has taught me very good range ettiquette and also had y ears bleed with toets and safety info while in the army.

It might be interesting to trace back how long ago and where these offenders have obtained their licences.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

I could well be very wrong but I absolutely think by the way the news articles are worded that there will be more to this and I wouldn't be surprised at all if it turns out not to be a "mistaken for an animal" hunting accident. Still tragic whichever way it falls.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Where are you off to Dougie?
    I'm getting a bit stir crazy and excited about a three day trip to Q town next week (hoping to get me some winning shots for that photo comp!) so I'm planning on a day walkies in the Rimutakas with my four legged boy.

Banned
    Absolutely your rite, but apart from hunts courses and dads/mums training there young hunters themselves theres nothing but you tube.
    Ive said before on here when you get your fire arms ticket it should include a practicle test with criticle passes and if you fail it no gun license.just like a car.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    Absolutely your rite, but apart from hunts courses and dads/mums training there young hunters themselves theres nothing but you tube.
    Ive said before on here when you get your fire arms ticket it should include a practicle test with criticle passes and if you fail it no gun license.just like a car.
    Reminds me of somewhere....I think both the instructors and students wear green..

Banned
    Whats it going to be like when my 8 year old wants to sit his license in 8 years time? will he be allowed, will the age go up! the gov is good at knee jerk reactions this is going to impact on him.We have to do something im an advocate of rifle safety so were do you start?. hopefully ive jumped the gun no pun intended.

Neckshot I certainly agree that there needs to be a strong element of practical assessment in the firearms licensing regime and you are right on the money by drawing a parallel with driver licensing. The difficulties that will attach to such a dramatic shift is the cost element (finding the money to fund the assessors and the assessment program) and the hue and cry that would come from the less safe among current license holders that would see the change as a threat to their continued ability to own firearms. All of that aside, there would remain the issue of non licensed people in possession of firearms which again I would not be surprised to learn was involved in this recent tragedy. If I was a betting man, reading between the lines in the article and considering the police reation, i would put ten bucks on the horse that says this has the undertone and flavour of someone protecting his patch.
    veitnamcam likes this.