Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch NZGR


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Spudattack
  • 2 Post By Tommy

Thread: Anyone tried putting shelves in their safe?

  1. #1
    Member mcdeee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    North Island
    Posts
    91

    Anyone tried putting shelves in their safe?

    My tall E-cat safe will entirely contain handguns. I've been thinking about the best way to have shelves... or perhaps some other method of arranging them. Thoughts?

  2. #2
    308
    308 is offline
    Member 308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Wgtn
    Posts
    1,472
    I've seen fabric and velcro hanging off the door with pockets for pistols to sling into or if you have the cases stack em up

    Best setup sighted so far (sorry no pics) is done with coated wire like a shoe rack where the wires are bent up at a 45 degree angle and wrapped in soft fabric so as to go up the muzzle about 50mm or so - when you open the safe they are all there presented to you

  3. #3
    Rwt
    Rwt is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chch
    Posts
    118
    I did something similar one of my safes for ammo storage. Just cut bits of ply/particle board to the right size and then separated them with some 2x2 in each corner. The idea was that each caliber had its own shelf.

  4. #4
    Member mcdeee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    North Island
    Posts
    91
    Hmm... another thing is that I'm trying to avoid drilling holes through the sides of my nice new safe. Tricky though... I wonder if there are shelves that use tension to hold on.

  5. #5
    Rwt
    Rwt is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chch
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdeee View Post
    Hmm... another thing is that I'm trying to avoid drilling holes through the sides of my nice new safe. Tricky though... I wonder if there are shelves that use tension to hold on.
    Glue some strong magnets on them to hold everything in place

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    hokitika
    Posts
    1,082
    Yip I welded mine in


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

  7. #7
    Numzane Spudattack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Whangarei
    Posts
    2,295
    Quote Originally Posted by Rwt View Post
    I did something similar one of my safes for ammo storage. Just cut bits of ply/particle board to the right size and then separated them with some 2x2 in each corner. The idea was that each caliber had its own shelf.
    I did the same, I just made some sides out of ply with lugs for the shelves to sit on, the shelves then just drop in and once seated hold the ply sides against the side of the safe so no holes or welding.





    Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk
    dogmatix, Survy and Beaker like this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Stewart island / canterbury
    Posts
    5,046
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdeee View Post
    Hmm... another thing is that I'm trying to avoid drilling holes through the sides of my nice new safe. Tricky though... I wonder if there are shelves that use tension to hold on.
    Glue...

  9. #9
    Member mcdeee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    North Island
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    I did the same, I just made some sides out of ply with lugs for the shelves to sit on, the shelves then just drop in and once seated hold the ply sides against the side of the safe so no holes or welding.
    Ah, now why didn't I think of this. I might build something similar

  10. #10
    Member Tommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    3,444
    Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    is done with coated wire like a shoe rack where the wires are bent up at a 45 degree angle and wrapped in soft fabric so as to go up the muzzle about 50mm or so - when you open the safe they are all there presented to you
    Could use a layer or two of heatshrink to provide a soft coating on the bits that go into barrel
    dogmatix and 308 like this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

  11. #11
    Member Jexla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Napier
    Posts
    789
    You might currently think you only want pistols... why you think you don't want scary assault rifles?

    You know what they say.... por que no los dos?

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. has RL16 hist the shelves anywhere in NZ yet?
    By yerimaginaryM8 in forum Reloading and Ballistics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 28-10-2016, 12:36 PM
  2. Putting Humpty Dumpty together again
    By LittleDave in forum Taxidermy
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 20-09-2016, 11:04 AM
  3. Putting in the hard yards pays off.
    By Philipo in forum The Magazine
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 15-02-2016, 11:16 PM
  4. Removing a stock and putting it back on
    By phillipgr in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 27-01-2014, 04:57 PM
  5. That's one way of putting out a fire
    By Barefoot in forum Off topic
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 13-08-2013, 10:28 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!