Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: AOS shooting -TVOne sunday program

R93
    Spot on sasquatch😆

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Sasquatch likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Jesus wept it was a bloody one off situation even for the AOS-and human nature being what it is ,mistakes can be made(id like to think few and far between in this instance).

As for the other allegations please name your sources,as shitstirring grubby wee journos sure as hell wont!

whilst Im on my hobby horse lets not forget the bloody clowns who namby pamby to these types ,who allowed this lowlife to see the light of day beyond the bars of a cell.who supplied him with weapons drugs and encouragement to go on his godforsaken crime spree .These mongrels deserve your comtempt and questions about conduct as much as the AOS do if not more
    .The tragedy that happened was a singular probable once in a lifetime occurence and is probably still agonised over by those who were actually present at the very instant. Do they really need a bloody bunch of amateur sleuths and psychologists turning up all this crap all over again???FGS leave it to the assorted keyboard warrior on tardme message boards and the likes,whod either crap themselves or run a country mile if you even showed em a gun.they also think drink driving txting driving etc is still a game some of them!
    sure its everyones right to an opinion but like arms socks and a..holes everyone has em and they too STINK
    oneshot likes this.

R93
    It was a while ago but we used to train and share some training with STG/AOS.

I do not recall if it was the case back then but I would think a strict selection of personal for those roles is/should be required.

It happens in the forces for certain roles as not everyone has the goods mentally (most important) or physically.

There should be regular refresher training and testing. Fail and you're off that role until you pass within a time frame.

Money also has a huge amount to do with quality of training and trainers. So maybe that is an issue.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Maca49, hamsav and Sasquatch like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Whilst I support the Police generally, there is no doubt (based on several court cases and other instances I have been involved with) that there is a 'we make the rules as we are the Police' attitude that starts at PNHQ and trickles down through the ranks. It is only when a few concerned (or affected) citizens take them to Court that the law triumphs over Police 'policy' and other activities. Over the years I have had quite a bit of contact with Police firearms training and have a very low opinion of the general standard of Police use of firearms. This is not really the fault of the individual Police trainers (some of whom are quite skilled) but a combination of PNHQ policy and worse, the over-confident attitude of many (usually quite inept) officers when undergoing training The Police have no more rights than you or me when it comes to firing at people - yes, they are exempt from various provisions of the Arms Act, but not from the various 'misuse' provisions, nor from the Crimes Act. I have been involved in cases where people have been charged and convicted of 'misuse' offences which were much safer to all concerned than the Police shooting on the Auckland motorway. The Police actions in tampering with evidence are certainly worthy of prison time, and not to bring charges against the officers involved in this particular shooting is both a gross misuse of Police powers and a travesty of justice. Sadly, this is far from the first time that Police have actively covered up their misdeeds, and I am afraid that it will take a large and stiff-bristled broom to sweep the rot out of the department.
    kokako, mikee, GravelBen and 8 others like this.

I'm not saying that Police or AOS are perfect, this is a disaster of monumental proportions and there is no real excuse for the officers missing their shots.

One difference in this compared to say a hunter shooting another hunter by mistake is that the officers were firing to protect themselves or others, not trying to get a slab of meat or a duck for the freezer, lack of action could possibly have been as bad as this mistake. Hence no charges under the Arms or Crimes Act, this was overseen by the Queen's Counsel if I recall correctly, certainly no Police coverup.

I have no idea why the firearm would have been dismantled, that goes against all investagative principles, it just blows my mind that it'd happened. I imagine heads rolled over that.

After watching that documentry a few things stuck out, 40% hearing loss and two blown eardrums from a bullet coming through the windshield?! Sounds a bit far fetched, also why is ACC not paying him anymore?

I do think it is a bit hypocritical to pay out to NAITOKO's family yet not a person who was injured.

However I don't want to see NZ go the way of the USA and UK with civil litigation everywhere.
    Survy, Andrew46826, hanse and 6 others like this.

^^^ Well said!

Yes. Well said.
    And also the stuff in the show was from one side who is seeking money. There was little other information contained in the show which h related to the other stuff that happened.
    We can't make judgements without all the info.
    We weren't there.
    Savage1, kotuku and Michael B like this.

And Im bloody glad I wasnt! I could have died! As savage says it was a monumental! but stop the bullshit, sort it out and pay for the cockup its just not right, the man injured was an innocent bystander, caught up in some bad shit. I also think the crim should be charged with murder, he should feel the full force of the law for without him none of it would have happened, he was the lucky bugger
    mikee likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    +Id say that would be highly unlikely Savage.
    ummm-gents lets not forget TV is about ratings ,not fucking truthfinding -if these shallow little rating whores can twist a story to lift their they will.I m also suprised some of you seem tobe as gullible as to accept the verdict of the court of public opinion with without qualification.
    Ive seen similat TV docos produced in psychiatric hospitals where film crews were totally inappropriate broke privacy and the final version had as much relationship with the actual truth as my arse does with albert einstein.
    finally a lot of these so called documentary makers either produce to a hidden agenda,or use this to demonstrate the bloody great chips on their shoulders!
    how do we know what happened -were we in the front line do we know exactly what when where how who ,what was said what assessments made .NO-so why offer a half cocked opinion.
    There are certain journalists that are known to put their own spin on things. One, a TV political editor, has been known to use quotes selectively.

Quote Originally Posted by jim160 View Post
    Yes. Well said.
    And also the stuff in the show was from one side who is seeking money. There was little other information contained in the show which h related to the other stuff that happened.
    We can't make judgements without all the info.
    We weren't there.
    One of the best comments in this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    Whilst I support the Police generally, there is no doubt (based on several court cases and other instances I have been involved with) that there is a 'we make the rules as we are the Police' attitude that starts at PNHQ and trickles down through the ranks. It is only when a few concerned (or affected) citizens take them to Court that the law triumphs over Police 'policy' and other activities. Over the years I have had quite a bit of contact with Police firearms training and have a very low opinion of the general standard of Police use of firearms. This is not really the fault of the individual Police trainers (some of whom are quite skilled) but a combination of PNHQ policy and worse, the over-confident attitude of many (usually quite inept) officers when undergoing training The Police have no more rights than you or me when it comes to firing at people - yes, they are exempt from various provisions of the Arms Act, but not from the various 'misuse' provisions, nor from the Crimes Act. I have been involved in cases where people have been charged and convicted of 'misuse' offences which were much safer to all concerned than the Police shooting on the Auckland motorway. The Police actions in tampering with evidence are certainly worthy of prison time, and not to bring charges against the officers involved in this particular shooting is both a gross misuse of Police powers and a travesty of justice. Sadly, this is far from the first time that Police have actively covered up their misdeeds, and I am afraid that it will take a large and stiff-bristled broom to sweep the rot out of the department.
    I don't know you. I don't know your history, experience etc. But I do know the police have the right to use deadly force to arrest or prevent escape of an offender (Sections 39 and 40 of the Crimes Act) while those called to assist police do not!

Therefore your comment that police have no more rights under the Crimes Act is incorrect.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    +1 I think the problem is that the police investigate themselves via the police complaints authority. It's a bit like saying that the AA know about cars so they should do both the investigation into traffic accidents and also rule on the verdict.

While it's a valid point that they were doing their duty when this mishap happened not persuing their recreation like all the hunting accidents that doesn't absolve them of respolsability.

If I was driving a digger as part of my job and ran oversomebody there would be a investigation and if I was found to be neglagent then it would rightly be manslaughter. Ambuliance drivers have been prosicuted by the police for dangerious driving while on the job.

Ambulance drivers are allowed to legally break the speed limit but the point is they can't do that irrisponsabily. It's the same (or should be the same) for AOS members.

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
    +1 I think the problem is that the police investigate themselves via the police complaints authority. It's a bit like saying that the AA know about cars so they should do both the investigation into traffic accidents and also rule on the verdict.
    Or an accountant being accused of fraud, then auditing their own books and making an official decision about their innocence.

Its definitely an issue - even if they do reach the right decision people will be suspicious of it, justice must be seen to be done and all that.

And if they make a wrong decision it can turn into a nightmare for innocent non-police parties to get justice. How many years did it take before the truth came out about that Alexandra cop who pulled out in front of a young kid, then lied about it and blamed him for the crash?

I know most cops are good guys doing a hard job, but the nature of that job means independent accountability is important.
    Maca49 likes this.

I think the rules of engagement for our soldiers are much more difficult in a urban combat zone or peace keeping. If one of our soldiers accidently wounds or kills a innocent there is a full investigation. I think they have a much more stressfull job to do than someone on the back of a truck armed with a .22. That's my opinion anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post

While it's a valid point that they were doing their duty when this mishap happened not persuing their recreation like all the hunting accidents that doesn't absolve them of respolsability.

If I was driving a digger as part of my job and ran oversomebody there would be a investigation and if I was found to be neglagent then it would rightly be manslaughter. Ambuliance drivers have been prosicuted by the police for dangerious driving while on the job.

Ambulance drivers are allowed to legally break the speed limit but the point is they can't do that irrisponsabily. It's the same (or should be the same) for AOS members.
    The IPCA investigate the complaints, not the Police. And none of the IPCA are serving Police.
    Yes, Police and Ambulance can exceed the speed limit, but if they crash or something go wrong, then they are to blame. Regardless.
    Police are more likely to be prosecuted for any offences to prove they don't show favouritism.
    In Auckland if they did anything wrong or were criminal, I guarantee the IPCA would recommend a prosecution. But they didn't so I guess they deemed it ok.

But everyone is entitled to their own opinion on what partial information people have. No one has read all the information or seen all the evidence. Or know exactly what happened. So how can people give an opinion on something they don't know about.

If anyone has a link or a copy of the Police and IPCA investigation, I would be keen for a read. Cause without that it is all guess work.

my 2 cents anyway.
    Savage1, Survy and Danny like this.

Police shooting of Halatau Naitoko - short version
    PDF Report - long version