Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree35Likes
  • 2 Post By P38
  • 11 Post By 257weatherby
  • 1 Post By P38
  • 5 Post By timattalon
  • 2 Post By Maca49
  • 2 Post By Fawls
  • 5 Post By gadgetman
  • 1 Post By Friwi

Thread: Australian Gun Amnesty

P38

Australian Gun Amnesty

Looks like our Aussi cousins are having another Gun Amnesty, spurred on by the belief that they have 260,000 plus illegal guns in the country and a deteriorating National Security environment.

So despite having some of the toughest firearms laws in the world for quite a number of yeas now there's been a flood of illegal firearms into the country.

Probally just highlights that no matter how tough your laws are criminals will always disrespect the law .... That's why they are criminals.

Australia to hold first gun amnesty since Port Arthur | Radio New Zealand News

Cheers
    Pete
    Wirehunt and veitnamcam like this.
    Arguing with an Engineer is like Wrestling a Pig in Mud.

After awhile you realise the Pig loves it.

sneakywaza I got
    Yep, I'm a crim, I have lots of illegal fire arms I want to use to shoot other crims, cops, or just generally stick up pubs and dairies, so.......... I'm gonna give up my guns under a so called "amnesty" why exactly? Any way, if I want more guns, I'll just access your silly register, find out who has guns, and go to their house and steal them.

If, you are politically correct, socially correct, or just a fuckwit, please understand the above was facetious sarcasm.
    P38, veitnamcam, gadgetman and 8 others like this.

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    Yep, I'm a crim, I have lots of illegal fire arms I want to use to shoot other crims, cops, or just generally stick up pubs and dairies, so.......... I'm gonna give up my guns under a so called "amnesty" why exactly? Any way, if I want more guns, I'll just access your silly register, find out who has guns, and go to their house and steal them.

If, you are politically correct, socially correct, or just a fuckwit, please understand the above was facetious sarcasm.
    Your on to it @257weatherby

What self respecting criminal would hand in his illegal firearms during an amnesty?

After all they are Criminals for a reason people!

The amnesty will only push the monetary value of illegal firearms higher and make them even more coverted by the criminals in our societies.

It's a simple supply and demand curve.

Cheers
    Pete
    stingray likes this.
    Arguing with an Engineer is like Wrestling a Pig in Mud.

After awhile you realise the Pig loves it.

The article quotes a Mr Keenan as saying "It might be a family heirloom, it could be the family member who owned it has died for example and the family just doesn't know what to do with it." but I suspect these firearms are probably NOT the ones that will make any difference. If my logic is sound, I suspect if person A has granddads old service pistol at home (illegally) then it is likely that it has been in Australia in granddads possession for many years, in which case the new owner is probably a long time Australian and therefore sees Ozzie as his country which means he is not likely to be a terrorist.......

Far more likely is the illegal firearms will mostly be the ones that "vanished" after they bought in their draconian gun restrictions. In which case the "We know that we've got a big illicit firearm market in Australia, 260,000 illicit guns we believe are out there," would be entirely of their own making (consequences of poor govt decisions)
    P38, veitnamcam, stingray and 2 others like this.

Thank goodness COLFO, FOUNZ and the Police Minister scuppered the PHQ 'back door trickery' effort.
    Their 'illegal' guns number is a little close to our 'licensed firearms owners' figure - so are we Kiwis exporting our licensed firearms to Aussie?
    That's 'tongue in cheek' for the overly sensitive readers

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    The article quotes a Mr Keenan as saying "It might be a family heirloom, it could be the family member who owned it has died for example and the family just doesn't know what to do with it." but I suspect these firearms are probably NOT the ones that will make any difference. If my logic is sound, I suspect if person A has granddads old service pistol at home (illegally) then it is likely that it has been in Australia in granddads possession for many years, in which case the new owner is probably a long time Australian and therefore sees Ozzie as his country which means he is not likely to be a terrorist.......

Far more likely is the illegal firearms will mostly be the ones that "vanished" after they bought in their draconian gun restrictions. In which case the "We know that we've got a big illicit firearm market in Australia, 260,000 illicit guns we believe are out there," would be entirely of their own making (consequences of poor govt decisions)
    The first paragraph would see at least 3 handed in, then the AO would think shit they're nice!! Ill...... give them a nice home!
    P38 and Fawls like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

I just cant see what they are trying to achieve with this, as above do they think the criminals are going to hand in their illegal firearms? or have I missed something.
    P38 and veitnamcam like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fawls View Post
    I just cant see what they are trying to achieve with this, as above do they think the criminals are going to hand in their illegal firearms? or have I missed something.
    Well of course they will. Then the law men will ride off, job done and everyone safe, into the sunset on their unicorns.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

It is funny the quote from the cop saying that they have the best and toughest gun laws in the world and yet they have 260000 illegal firearm in nature ( or probably more towns actually! Where drugs sell well!), so that is a bit of a pleonasm !
    timattalon likes this.