Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Campbell Live Tonight

It's just the laws in NZ, that American the other day got $4k fine and his licence cancelled for taking a life in a car accident! Justice? Doesn't really exist. IMHO
    jim160, Trevs and jack like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Tough call to make I think - in most hunting accidents the shooter has been punished more harshly already (by having to live with what they've done, face the victims family etc) than what they'll get from the court - and if thats the case then whats the point in jail time if it isn't going to prevent anyone else from doing the same thing? If the chance of shooting their mate doesn't make someone think twice about their target then the chance of jail time won't either.

If this guy isn't showing remorse (going by what others are saying, I didn't watch it) then he probably does deserve more - obviously a murder charge is out of the question as he didn't intend to kill someone, but manslaughter seems justified.

Easy for us all to sit behind a computer and make big calls about judgement and punishment, but to be honest I'm glad it isn't me that has to sit up there and decide what the appropriate sentence is in cases like this.
    Gapped axe and Gibo like this.

whats that old saying ???IF IN DOUBT....DONT. thats probably why you never see many nude chainsaw operators.seriously tho ,it seems to me theres been a rash of these incidents over the last 2+years ,and sadly one is one too many.

I watched the programme tonight and feel for the familys that lost there loved one.
    GravelBen and Dynastar27 like this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    It's just the laws in NZ, that American the other day got $4k fine and his licence cancelled for taking a life in a car accident! Justice? Doesn't really exist. IMHO
    Justice exists Maca, it is just that through our court system it is applied very inconsistently.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    I watched the programme tonight and feel for the familys that lost there loved one.
    I am with you Dundee. Families are most impacted in events like this.
    jack likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by jim160 View Post
    Never watched Campbell live as I don't like him much. He has his own idea on some things and reports what he thinks rather than what the actual truth is. But hey, that's just my opinion.
    Bear in mind he's only the presenter, doesn't make all the stories.

Thought the charge of careless use of a firearm was weird, if Mears got imprisoned, can't see why this guy shouldn't either. Pull trigger, kill someone = strong punishment.

When I was with hunt4life coming through some bush my brother and hut4lifes mate were ahead of us as Im rather slow on hills and we talked about shooting people for a deer but when we watched them going off through the bush they never looked like a deer at all. There was a point where they didn't look human either as you could see fuck all of anything but could make out movement.

Never seen anyone look like a deer but if these type of people can do it then I may do it and I can only hope I make the right descisions at the time.
    Rich007, zimmer and Gibo like this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    When I was with hunt4life coming through some bush my brother and hut4lifes mate were ahead of us as Im rather slow on hills and we talked about shooting people for a deer but when we watched them going off through the bush they never looked like a deer at all. There was a point where they didn't look human either as you could see fuck all of anything but could make out movement.

Never seen anyone look like a deer but if these type of people can do it then I may do it and I can only hope I make the right descisions at the time.
    People will see what they want to see. How people miss a train approaching on train tracks is beyond me, but many that survive getting hit by a train swear that there was no train.
    The mind plays tricks on people and what the eyes see and what the brain thinks are sometimes different. Hence why people get shot or hit by trains. Because the person is certain it's a deer or the tracks are clear.
    Kscott, striker, Rich007 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
    Bear in mind he's only the presenter, doesn't make all the stories.

Thought the charge of careless use of a firearm was weird, if Mears got imprisoned, can't see why this guy shouldn't either. Pull trigger, kill someone = strong punishment.
    C'mon its not that hard to work out... there are significant differences why Mears was charged with manslaughter... He was breaking the law to start with... shooting from a vehicle, public road, spotlighting, shooting into a public Doc camping area, and shot a teacher brushing her teeth in a creek.

This guy shot a hunter in the bush by mistake.... no laws broken up until he did that....?

Major differences... for the charge of manslaughter to be applied in any circumstance, there is most likely a context of illegality in the circumstances... e.g. a punch resulting in falling down and striking head.... driving when drunk and killing someone etc... Mears is in that category... no so in this case....
    AzumitH likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Justice is being held to account, by society and facing the victims.... there is justice here...

the "pound of flesh" thing aint about justice, its got nothing to do with it.... its just revenge... there is no proportionality of outcome that equates to the loss of a life...

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney View Post
    C'mon its not that hard to work out... there are significant differences why Mears was charged with manslaughter... He was breaking the law to start with... shooting from a vehicle, public road, spotlighting, shooting into a public Doc camping area, and shot a teacher brushing her teeth in a creek.

This guy shot a hunter in the bush by mistake.... no laws broken up until he did that....?

Major differences... for the charge of manslaughter to be applied in any circumstance, there is most likely a context of illegality in the circumstances... e.g. a punch resulting in falling down and striking head.... driving when drunk and killing someone etc... Mears is in that category... no so in this case....
    Mears was charged and convicted with manslaughter for the shooting. All the other elements while certainly reflect his desire to break the law, didn't come into effect for the manslaughter charge. The circumstances are the same - point a rifle at a target thinking it was an animal, pull trigger, kill someone.

Plus Mears pleaded guilty, like our hunter friend Wayne Edgerton who has pleaded guilty to careless use. The charge laid is different for the same type of event.

The circumstances surrounding the event always play a part in determining what charges are laid. There are significant differences between these two examples. If you don't understand that, then we are all blessed that you are neither a prosecutor or a judge.

Of course that apparently won't stop you being a commentator...
    outdoorlad likes this.

Thank you for your kind yet ignorant words

I wasn't being kind, which part was ignorant?