Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: DIY thumb hole A-cat stock for AR-15

DCA

DIY thumb hole A-cat stock for AR-15

Anyone have any info on what the rules are about making your own "thumb hole" A-cat stock for a AR. Everything on the market is either shite or way over priced. It'd be nice to convert a Magpul UBR and still be able to use the adjustable function. I have the design skills and connections to get it made to a high standard so its not going to be a hatchet job. Thanks for any info...done a good search and couldn't find anything

I think if you were to have a telescopic connector bar running from stock to pistol grip you would probably be ok

You'd be making the pistol grip no longer free-standing, but you want the stock to still be telescopic? My understanding is that if it can be adjusted without tools, it's an MSSA.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    nzvermin likes this.

DCA
    Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    You'd be making the pistol grip no longer free-standing, but you want the stock to still be telescopic? My understanding is that if it can be adjusted without tools, it's an MSSA.

ok ..yea still want it to adjustable . I was thinking of attaching the "bar" from the front QD mount on the UBR down to the grip so its not free standing anymore and that still lets the UBR be adjustable. But if the law is about the stock being adjustable then I'd have to go down the route of fixing it from the butt to the grip

DCA
    lol now I do know I have said I have design skills and am proceeding to use ms paint...but its time for bed not busting out solidworks lol but this is the concept. Where/who do I go to find out about the law? NZ dealers must have to submit their A-cat stocks to the police Armorer
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by DCA View Post
    lol now I do know I have said I have design skills and am proceeding to use ms paint...but its time for bed not busting out solidworks lol but this is the concept. Where/who do I go to find out about the law? NZ dealers must have to submit their A-cat stocks to the police Armorer
    The law is not defined that well. http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/p....html#DLM72627.

All it says in this regard is "a folding or telescopic butt". Neither the term folding nor telescopic are defined in the act, so we should rely on their commonly understood meaning. Folding things rotated around a pivot axis. Telescopic things have two or more coaxial or concentric parts that slide inside/outside of each other.

Think outside the box and you'll come up with ways of keeping an adjustable stock by using mechanisms other than folding or telescopic.

The police will think you're taking the piss, and they'll likely harp on about the "intent" of the wording of the act. They also seem to have a fetish for losing these arguments when it goes to court.

Just get your E, it's not hard at all.
    grunzter and Tommy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    But then I can't supervise others using it, nor can I let other endorsed shooters have a go without going through the permit to procure process. Twice.

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    But then I can't supervise others using it, nor can I let other endorsed shooters have a go without going through the permit to procure process. Twice.

Whilst I agree it's fucking stupid, you don't actually have to complete the permit to procure process. The user gets the permit which is valid for (30days?) and that then permits them for that period. Instead of completing it you just let it lapse so the original owner needs not do anything.

The new versions on the AIl stocks are A-Cat with adjustable LOP, fucking ugly but gives you an idea that you can have an adjustable stock in A-cat
    have you looked at the 54Industries stocks? they look pretty cool for A-Cat

DCA
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    Yea think I will now..

DCA
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy79 View Post
    The new versions on the AIl stocks are A-Cat with adjustable LOP, fucking ugly but gives you an idea that you can have an adjustable stock in A-cat
    have you looked at the 54Industries stocks? they look pretty cool for A-Cat
    Yea I do like 54 industies stocks but can't justify the money they want for them and still not be adjustable... Think I'll jus jump through some hoops for my E-Cat

Name:  0008962_magpul-moe-fixed-carbine-stock.jpeg
Views: 785
Size:  106.7 KB

If my understanding is correct technically you could do this.
    It is connected at two point and is therefore no longer free standing.

Name:  4ff5889ec66cbb0b3c3ce417ceea72b1.png
Views: 657
Size:  57.0 KB
    I've always loathed the necessity of sleep. Like death, it puts even the most powerful men on their backs.

From the legal definition above, this would meet the standard and could be fitted to any M4 type butt stock and uses pre-existing mounting points (rear sling swivel and pistol grip screws)

A) Orange would replace the rear sling swivel, and is a rear sling point and a sturdy hollow steel tube with lengthwise slit. This would mount where the sling swivel mounts, and act as an outer sleeve for the pistol grip extension. The lengthwise slit is to allow a captive retaining pin in part B to move back and forth when the stock is extended or collapsed, but not allow the extension to pop free accidenally.

B) Red is a sturdy steel rod that mounts inside the pistol grip using the pistol grip retaining screw/bolt. It extends downward out of the grip, then back up in line with part A's tube. It slides lengthwise inside part A and is retained by a small cross pin.

I would try to make these to sell... but frankly I know I would never get around to it, so maybe someone out there can make use of it. Also go easy on my artistic skills

Name:  Extendable A Cat. Stock.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  62.5 KB

All that said, the more E cat (and other endorsements) that're held, the stronger the shooting community is as a whole. If they decide to go after one group, they aren't going to leave A-Cat alone, so may as well have skin in the game.

Gunsnz already make a similar stock to that one