Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Downwards or Safest Direction

Downwards or Safest Direction

So in December last year my nephew fails his firearms license on one question. "Where is the safest place to point a firearm?" He answered "in a direction where no person is likely to get shot". The answer they were looking for was "down".
    Then just today a friend of mine failed his on the same question. Yet he selected "down". The answer they were looking for was "in a direction where no person is likely to get shot".
    Two different areas of the country and two different expected answers. Not fair really.
    Anyone else had some similar experiences?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Its hard to soar like an eagle when you are surrounded by turkeys.

Ejected
    I just sat my test a few months ago in Tauranga and remember that specific question, although not the exact wording. I answered with the "in a direction where no person is likely to get shot" and got it correct.

I must say that the test was pretty straight forward except for one or two questions which I thought were so poorly worded that they were a bit of a gamble. It was obviously written by firearms experts & not by syntax experts. A proof read wouldn't go astray.

And some consistency too...
    199p, Dougie, Boulderman and 2 others like this.

If you listen to the seminar all questions are addressed in detail, its just a matter of reciting what the instructor has said I guess.

The guys running mine I just did in November said it was in a direction nobody was likely to get shot ie, if walking on a metal road with a clay bank then pointing into the clay bank but if the road ran out into a clearing and the bank turned into a schist face then obviously down is best.

Surely they just had a chat to the guys and readdreased some points and passed them? They did with people at mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    ...remember that specific question, although not the exact wording. I answered with the "in a direction where no person is likely to get shot" and got it correct.

I must say that the test was pretty straight forward except for one or two questions which I thought were so poorly worded that they were a bit of a gamble. It was obviously written by firearms experts & not by syntax experts. A proof read wouldn't go astray.
    Same here, though it was 6 or 7 years ago I did mine. It is the right answer to the question.

There were a few questions with hopeless ambiguous wording back then too!

I think they are deliberately confusing to get people thinking about safety.

I struck that, I said down. Answer was 'in a safe direction where no one is likely to get shot.' I argued the toss saying down was a safe direction and was passed. Instructor said aloud that he didn't want or expect anyone to fail the course. Personally I did not get much out of the course that I didn't already know as it was rather vague, he was a nice old gent tho.
    Ya can't park there mate.

The example we were given in the course was that down might not be a safe direction (ie if you're upstairs), so giving down as the answer was wrong because you were making assumptions.
    Last edited by GravelBen; 03-03-2015 at 09:54 PM.
    mikee and JRW87 like this.

How about up?

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderman View Post
    How about up?
    Thats still eventually downwards in what like a 3 kilometre radius.

Quote Originally Posted by JRW87 View Post
    Thats still eventually downwards in what like a 3 kilometre radius.
    Ha ha, roger that. Taking my FA licence over here and pointing it up is what is being taught as the safest direction.

Maybe with all the bleating on forums about it being too easy to get they have started to fail people at random?
    Moutere, Tommy and JRW87 like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Slightly off topic. I cant remember much of my course when I done it 20 years ago but I don't recall it ever teaching me real life handling of a firearm, this is something I had to pick up along the way and dint have the family members to show me the ins and outs of a real firearm.
    I only bring this up because a friend (in his 40's) came around last night to look at one of my guns as he had just past his test on the Monday (his kids have been hounding him to get his FAL so they can go hunting), what concerned me was how unfamiliar he was with a firearm (and some very unsafe moments). I know everybody has to start somewhere, but I don't see the point in passing your FAL when you have no idea how to operate a firearm? All the theory in the world isn't going to stop you blowing your hand off or worse the people around you. How is he meant to teach his kids safe handling when he hasn't been shown himself?
    You cant get your drivers licence if you cant drive (some people do apparently).

Quote Originally Posted by screamO View Post
    Slightly off topic. I cant remember much of my course when I done it 20 years ago but I don't recall it ever teaching me real life handling of a firearm, this is something I had to pick up along the way and dint have the family members to show me the ins and outs of a real firearm.
    I only bring this up because a friend (in his 40's) came around last night to look at one of my guns as he had just past his test on the Monday (his kids have been hounding him to get his FAL so they can go hunting), what concerned me was how unfamiliar he was with a firearm (and some very unsafe moments). I know everybody has to start somewhere, but I don't see the point in passing your FAL when you have no idea how to operate a firearm? All the theory in the world isn't going to stop you blowing your hand off or worse the people around you. How is he meant to teach his kids safe handling when he hasn't been shown himself?
    You cant get your drivers licence if you cant drive (some people do apparently).
    One has to start somewhere. To own a firearm one has to have a FAL.
    If one is lucky one will have friends and family to learn from/with or one might join a club.
    It sounds like your friend has you to learn from.
    Tommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    One has to start somewhere. To own a firearm one has to have a FAL.
    If one is lucky one will have friends and family to learn from/with or one might join a club.
    It sounds like your friend has you to learn from.
    I agree, and I'm happy to shear my limited knowledge. I just believe some of this should be covered when you obtain your FAL. It's all very well being told to point the gun in a safe direction, only load when ready to fire, etc. It's more the how to eject the live round if not fired, how to remove the bolt, etc. I know it sounds simple but have seen it, shit I struggle every time with my semi shot gun because I only use it once every couple of years and if I was to play with an AR I would want some one to show me the ins and outs first.
    I'm sure most people would ask for help but I bet a lot don't.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmMauser View Post
    So in December last year my nephew fails his firearms license on one question. "Where is the safest place to point a firearm?" He answeredThe answer they were looking for was "down".
    Then just today a friend of mine failed his on the same question. Yet he selected "down". The answer they were looking for was "in a direction where no person is likely to get shot".
    Two different areas of the country and two different expected answers. Not fair really.
    Anyone else had some similar experiences?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Down" or "up" are not the correct answers. "In a direction where no person is likely to get shot" is correct and I can't understand why your nephew was failed on that question if he did indeed answer the question as you have said. There is only one correct answer to this question and it doesn't vary from district to district as the carbon copy answer sheet is made up of two sheets sealed together and the correct answer is circled on the sheet beneath the one the applicant marks.

It would appear that the MSC instructor made a mistake. Your nephew can contact the Mountain Safety Council and put it to them - Contact Us-Home - Mountain Safety Council NZ

"Down" is not safe if you have a floor level below you and "up" if there is a floor above you. Some of the MSC test multi questions contain all correct answers but one answer will be more safe and thus more correct than the others.