Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Firearm gun safe fit

Firearm gun safe fit

New to the firearm world, applying for my A Cat, and would go for E cat later on, so thought would be saving time and money to have Cat E safe installed. question is how do you fit safe on a concrete floor? do i need to find a certified tradie for that?
    Also on Cat E, AO told me i need to be part of club, target shooting is not sufficient reason to have Cat E, how should i go about this?

Banned
    10mm dyna bolts into the floor. Drill the holes deep enough so that when time comes to move the safe, you can just hammer the bolts down to flush or below and slide the safe out.

Much easier than trying to move the safe with the bolts sticking up into it.

You can own an e cat without belonging to a club hes making that up unless you said 3 gun. Pest control, hunting and target shooting are all valid reasons for wanting the extra mag capacity and a freestanding pistol grip, which is really what it boils down to
    Antz and moonyading like this.

Bit hard claiming target shooting as a reason if you're not a member of a club that does target shooting, that won't wash for 3Gun.

Seeing you've just joined the forum (and I'm a naturally suspicious person) where abouts are you ? Which AO gave you requirements about getting your E ?
    moonyading likes this.

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by systolic View Post
    10mm dyna bolts into the floor. Drill the holes deep enough so that when time comes to move the safe, you can just hammer the bolts down to flush or below and slide the safe out.

Much easier than trying to move the safe with the bolts sticking up into it.
    Almost!

Fix the E-Cat Safe with at least two 10mm bolts into the concrete floor (Dyna, Chemset etc) and at least two 10mm Coach bolts back into the wall studs behind the safe.

You can do it yourself with a good drill but you will have to get a masonry drill bit to drill the concrete.

Cheers
    Pete
    moonyading likes this.
    Arguing with an Engineer is like Wrestling a Pig in Mud.

After awhile you realise the Pig loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
    Almost!

Fix the E-Cat Safe with at least two 10mm bolts into the concrete floor (Dyna, Chemset etc) and at least two 10mm Coach bolts back into the wall studs behind the safe.

You can do it yourself with a good drill but you will have to get a masonry drill bit to drill the concrete.

Cheers
    Pete
    4 in the floor, 2 in the wall Pete!

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    You can own an e cat without belonging to a club hes making that up unless you said 3 gun. Pest control, hunting and target shooting are all valid reasons for wanting the extra mag capacity and a freestanding pistol grip, which is really what it boils down to
    Can I ask what reason you gave for your cat E? I'd like to apply for mine but it all looks a little confusing

Cheers Antz

Quote Originally Posted by moonyading View Post
    Also on Cat E, AO told me i need to be part of club, target shooting is not sufficient reason to have Cat E, how should i go about this?
    You don't need any reason. You only need to be 'a fit and proper person ', which you already would have been deemed to be if they issue with a firearm licence.

Ask your AO, where in the Arms Act or Regulations does it say I need a reason?
    moonyading likes this.

Kscott, quite observant, i'm very new to the forum, this is my first post, and i'm in the process of getting my A Cat license, trying to get gun safe sorted at the mo, and attending the safety class. i'm in Auckland, so Pest control really a not a good idea, the AO is from Counties Manukau.

As a accountant, trying to work out the cost benefit effect for this job

Thanks P38, will get to bunnings see whether i can get it nailed myself.

One thing I had heard about the dyna bolt is some AO's measure the diameter of the bolt , a 10mm dyna bolt has an 8mm(?) bolt. the ones I measured a 12mm dyna bolt has a 10mm bolt.
    P38 likes this.

Kscott, quite observant, i'm very new to the forum, this is my first post, and i'm in the process of getting my A Cat license, trying to get gun safe sorted at the mo, and attending the safety class. i'm in Auckland, so Pest control really a not a good idea, the AO is from Counties Manukau.
    Waiuku Pistol a Club would be the closest range to join, open Wednesday to Sunday's for members. Applying for a firearms license and going straight for E will be a challenge, despite what the law says, the Police will want a reason why you need high capacity mags, etc.

Safe wise, spend as much as you can, then a bit more. It's a one off purchase and you want good, effective safe storage. As mentioned, bolt to concrete floor or plate under joists, and bolt into wall, unless you can make a very strong room...

Good point mate, i guess i will get the A Cat for now. will do Cat E later on, hopefully the law will not change at the time.

Aiming to fit a Cat E safe, so that won't need to upgrade the storage IF i am going to Cat E.

Thanks for help!
    Kscott likes this.

the AO is from Counties Manukau.
    Good luck with him!

Oh no, sounds creepy....