Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Firearms license

Firearms license

I've been waiting for my firearms license to turn up for a couple of months now (vetting officer said would be maximum of 5weeks). I was wondering if I could go to the police and get a temporary license till my license card turns up as I've got a hunting trip coming up and need a rifle

Can anyone shed any light on this situation

Thanks in advance

Yes you should be able to

Others have noted typical delays like this so it's a case of the squeaky wheel gets the grease - complain often and loudly

And welcome to the forum

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Welcome to the forum Hyslop. Go and talk to your local AO about a temporary license. The delays in issuing at the moment are bloody ridiculous. I am still waiting on a new license for a couple of endorsements two months down the track from the approval date. Admittedly Christmas was in the middle but they are positively lethargic in getting shit done.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Welcome to the forum Hyslop. Go and talk to your local AO about a temporary license. The delays in issuing at the moment are bloody ridiculous. I am still waiting on a new license for a couple of endorsements two months down the track from the approval date. Admittedly Christmas was in the middle but they are positively lethargic in getting shit done.
    I was in the same boat, my new licence turned up last week. My AO said I was good to go without the new licence. If you buy from a dealer they should be able to ring the AO to find out if you have a licence.

what a load of shit. it took them 3months to renew my licence last year. straight forward renewal . referees and safe check took 2 or 3 weeks. waste of time ringing. They need a rocket up there ar##$ and start doing there job.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    I was in the same boat, my new licence turned up last week. My AO said I was good to go without the new licence. If you buy from a dealer they should be able to ring the AO to find out if you have a licence.
    Stug, unfortunately for me the manager of my nearest arms office doesn't see it that way and even though he is the one confirming to me that I have the endorsements, he and his office will not sign off on a permit to procure. I am totally frustrated by the lack of momentum and enthusiasm they have towards being helpful.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!

That sucks @Rushy I had a phone call the day they approved my endorsement and was told I could buy a pistol that day, my hold up was at the club end trying to get the pinkie over the holidays,

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    what a load of shit. it took them 3months to renew my licence last year. straight forward renewal . referees and safe check took 2 or 3 weeks. waste of time ringing. They need a rocket up there ar##$ and start doing there job.
    It makes me want to communicate with the new minister and point out the incompetence and ineptitude being applied to what should be a simple processing function but I don't want to be subjected to the small minded future discrimination that could follow such action.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    There was a long delay autumn and early winter of last year due to some problems with the printing. Then things improved to around the 2-3 weeks late winter and spring. The earthquake did damage the printing office in Molesworth Street, Wellington. Then we had the annual Christmas holidays which leads to a backlog. The issues should be sorted now and currently I've seen an average of three weeks after vetting for the licence to arrive.

The average cost to the police for processing and issuing of an A category firearms licence was just short of $300 several years back; it's probably increased since then. There are hundreds of applications each week; sometimes each day. The only real way to speed the process up would be to hire more staff. The police budget is underfunded by the government and has been for many years so extra staff for firearms licence processing is probably well down the list of priorities. On the other hand if an applicant doesn't mind paying $300 for their FAL then I'm sure that would certainly help.

If you have any problems with delays don't hesitate to contact your local AO. The licences are delivered in a plain white envelop by normal post and it's always possible, though rare, that a licence could go missing.

Unfortunately that is not the story that I am being told. The last four weeks have been responded to with "Head office hasn't sent it to the printer yet". Military intelligence have a grading system for information that goes from A:1 to E:5. E:5 means source unreliable: information probably untrue. The arms office I have been dealing with is rapidly approaching the point with me where they will merit this grade.

It makes me want to communicate with the new minister and point out the incompetence and ineptitude being applied to what should be a simple processing function but I don't want to be subjected to the small minded future discrimination that could follow such action.
    That is your best bet the more people that complain to their boss can only help, I complained about a different matter and got a reply from some flunky who passed it on to the commissioner of police's flunky
    who replied to me, not very helpful but keep complaining it is an election year, Fill their inboxes with complains and they may take note, do nothing and they will stay the same incompetent wankers they are.
    308 likes this.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Unfortunately that is not the story that I am being told. The last four weeks have been responded to with "Head office hasn't sent it to the printer yet". Military intelligence have a grading system for information that goes from A:1 to E:5. E:5 means source unreliable: information probably untrue. The arms office I have been dealing with is rapidly approaching the point with me where they will merit this grade.
    Rushy, it'll probably take Head Office a year or so to sort through all the related paperwork for your past misdeeds, going back to your Tokoroa High School days.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    Rushy, it'll probably take Head Office a year or so to sort through all the related paperwork for your past misdeeds, going back to your Tokoroa High School days.
    Ha ha ha ha maybe the old copper that kicked my arse for spray painting the Presbyterian church with a bottle of Fanta is now in the head office and recognised my name. The bugger frog marched me by the ear all the way home that day and handed me over to the old man with a strong suggestion that he should take me out to the wood shed. Come to think about it he would have to be 90 now so not really likely I don't suppose.
    Last edited by Rushy; 06-02-2017 at 12:12 PM.
    10-Ring and keneff like this.

Thanks for the help guys I'll give him a bell tomorrow and see what we can arrange