Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Firearms security

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Simple, get a 24 gun safe that is so heavy no sane person would try to shift it

Has the added benefit of having loads of space for "toys"
    but the AO wont pass it unless its bolted down? My AO looked at the bolts and asked how big they were....I had 3 in floor and 2 in wall 8M...
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    but the AO wont pass it unless its bolted down? My AO looked at the bolts and asked how big they were....I had 3 in floor and 2 in wall 8M...
    I have an old safe [circa 1875] that weighs in excess of 800 kgs, sides and top are sand filled so couldn't drill...easy fix was to cut bolt heads and glue in place.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    I have an old safe [circa 1875] that weighs in excess of 800 kgs, sides and top are sand filled so couldn't drill...easy fix was to cut bolt heads and glue in place.
    That is crafty

Cheers guys, sorted out some security today. I Have a 'school locker' with two types locks on and secured to studs, a fireproof very thick pistol safe for ammo and a ammo tin for bolts etc. All in separate locations. How do you reckon it will fear?
    kiwi39 likes this.

Should be fine.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Keep safe in the hills! Gunzrrr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
    As patronising as this may sound, get a big safe and bolt the mf to something solid, and get good security systems in place, because you don't want wankers to gain easy access to it. Because if they do, unless you're taking serious reasonable steps, it'll be your fault.
    If you're thinking about storing your guns with the bolts still inside, don't bother locking the safe.
    I agree with KScott - don't skimp on safety and security ... if you are young fella then I can understand starting with a cheap rack to get you going but please don't think that is safe and secure - its just legal that's all. I have a 10 gun which is bolted to everything I could find and one of those hotel type safes with all the bolts and I use a steel filing cabinet to store all my ammo in. I'm safe, the kids are safe, visitors are safe, everything is alarmed and a smelly old Rottweiler in the yard.

The best thing about a full gun safe is the Mrs can't see what's inside them. Mine is now overflowing and she has no idea.
    steven likes this.

I know someone who dismantles bank vaults. Only problem is you will need a fork hoist to lift the panels

Ex ATM safe... 13mm plus 2 dials, and fairly cheap comparatively... Only issue with that is they are long, as opposed to high.. still, 13mm is 13mm!!

Another trick for the renters is a mount plate at the bottom - Thick steel plate same size as safe floor, sits underneath. Has 4+ welded lugs/12+mm steel rods that stick up from it through corresponding holes in safe floor.

A dozen or so holes in said plate mean you can tek screw the snot out of the plate to the floor and then place the safe on top of it. steel clips sideways through the lugs sticking up through the floor and a few holes drilled for tekscrews into the sides through the studs and you have a safe that feels solid enough for A-cat yet can be moved with a few patchable holes left in the floor.

The other thing is lock up all of your grinders and hacksaws too..

Top Member Remington 5R .300 Win Mag's Avatar
    Obviously A Different Planet To The One You Bastards Are On!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Yip I got a 5 gun safe for 280 delivered. Tried the modified cupboard and the AO laughed at me and told me to sort it.
    Funny thing was the same AO approved my mates old pantry with a shit arse lock on it maybe rural is not as strict (hardly f*&king think so)
    We recently demo'ed my mates house and i gave his old pantry door a sneaky punch and was straight in within 1 minute.......

moral: spend some time or money preferrably both on something SAFE.
    Maybe the AO was smok'n a different kind 'O' Weed by the time he got to you?

If you're thinking about storing your guns with the bolts still inside, don't bother locking the safe.
    So do you offer a service for pump and lever gun owners where it's damn near impossible to pull the bolt without reducing the rifle to a pile of parts?

So how many of you guys go away for a week or more with all your family and have a garage full of grinders/gas cutters etc ? I know I do and it worries me at times. So I keep my bows and gun ammo in the gunsafe in our bedroom. The rifles however are stored in a hidden safe,on the principle if they cant find it they can cut it open .I don't even bother showing the arms officer the hidden one.

Quote Originally Posted by Monsterbishi View Post
    So do you offer a service for pump and lever gun owners where it's damn near impossible to pull the bolt without reducing the rifle to a pile of parts?
    Thanks for missing the point. If you CAN do it, you SHOULD do it.

If you CAN take the bolt out and store it securely somewhere else you SHOULD, because if a thief does break in, hopefully all you're handing them is a big stick. Unless it's a burglar who has spent more time scoping out your place than the GSCB has - after all, doesn't the security discussed here relate to an opportunistic burglar ? Rifles though storing the magazines securely elsewhere - ever tried to fire a semi rifle with no mag ? Shotguns are clearly a different matter unless you leave in a trigger lock or mag lock, but the point is if you want to hand over to a burglar a full, complete firearm that they just pick up and use then go for it - I don't, because I think it's a stupid option.
    Savage1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Simple, get a 24 gun safe that is so heavy no sane person would try to shift it

Has the added benefit of having loads of space for "toys"
    Just had one installed into my new Mai Mai four blokes had to lift it in place then we had to fit the door onto its hinges .
    Kscott likes this.
    BURN BABY BURN
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Thanks for missing the point. If you CAN do it, you SHOULD do it.

If you CAN take the bolt out and store it securely somewhere else you SHOULD, because if a thief does break in, hopefully all you're handing them is a big stick. Unless it's a burglar who has spent more time scoping out your place than the GSCB has - after all, doesn't the security discussed here relate to an opportunistic burglar ? Rifles though storing the magazines securely elsewhere - ever tried to fire a semi rifle with no mag ? Shotguns are clearly a different matter unless you leave in a trigger lock or mag lock, but the point is if you want to hand over to a burglar a full, complete firearm that they just pick up and use then go for it - I don't, because I think it's a stupid option.
    It has always confused me when I hear this from people,

How, if your A cat storage is designed to stop the opportunistic burglar, does storing your bolt separately stop them from finding a rifle with no bolt (after breaking in to a safe no less), and then finding your bolt? Burglars aren't as stupid as 'hunters', in general. I know where most people store their bolts (not locked).

that would mean:

a- If they managed to get into the safe they probably are not an opportunistic burglar so therefore your damned either way.
    b- If they are stealing a rifle they don't have a licence, but a bolt requires no licence to buy? Sure, they cost a lot, but they are crims, they can afford it or just nick one.
    c- you join the 50% (made up number) of people that have lost their bolt, because they store it separately, usually unlocked, and forgot where they put it either after a long hunt, or a house move.

I think its a ridiculous idea personally.

Also, I think burglars look for locks and safes before going through anything else, as it instantly says "steal me if you can!", so a hidden safe should be safer than a locked cupboard in general.

Bunnies next year?

Chris