Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Gun license stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    Does anyone know how this works at international level?
    IE; Can the NZ cops access an immigrants file back in one`s former country of residence?
    I have nothing to hide as I have obviously already been vetted for immigration, but I had to supply the police record check for that, as (at the time) the UK police could not release info without my direct consent.
    I once worked with a guy here in NZ who used to boast he got a clean police clearance for his immigration from South Africa by bribing police in Durban to lose his files or provide a boogie clean one (records were from mid 80's to the early 90's, he came over around '94, so minimal digital records) which consisted of a LOT of petty theft, theft of vehicles, one armed robbery, and a range of drug offenses. Total arsehole, last I heard he'd been unemployed and on dole since mid 2000's with no intention of getting a job.

There have been a few high profile stories of immigrants giving totally false background info in order to gain a job
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Sorry to hijack your post but what about if you've only lived here a couple of months so I don't know anyone here long enough to qualify as being a reference for me. Any ideas???

Cheers Antz

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    The big thing is not ever to tell the Vetting Officer that you would use your firearm for home defense. People joke about it , but you can not joke with the vetting guy on this issue . Home defense is not a reason for wanting a firearms licence - hunting , pest control , small bore / full bore shooting , etc is a legit reason.

A bit off topic , but worth noting.
    Actually that is not true. You can use a firearm for self defence, as many people have. You just can't have it as you reason for obtaining a firearms licence.

Yes, I did answer that to my vetting officer, and he agreed with me.

Cheers Muzza that'll work I thought you had to know them a couple of years. I can use my boss who's a shooter and also my wife.

Thank you Antz

Gone But Not Forgotten
    The big thing is not ever to tell the Vetting Officer that you would use your firearm for home defense. People joke about it , but you can not joke with the vetting guy on this issue . Home defense is not a reason for wanting a firearms licence - hunting , pest control , small bore / full bore shooting , etc is a legit reason.

A bit off topic , but worth noting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshogi View Post
    Actually that is not true. You can use a firearm for self defence, as many people have. You just can't have it as you reason for obtaining a firearms licence.

Yes, I did answer that to my vetting officer, and he agreed with me.
    You are both correct. Two different questions and both will be asked by the vetting officer.

The question I think Muzza is referring to: Tell me your reasons for wanting a licence.
    The question I think Koshogi is referring to: Tell me your responsibilities when using firearms; such as on private land, in self defence?
    Jexla likes this.

Your boss is your wife ??? You poor sod .. ;-) ( I guess you missed the comma in there , huh ? )

Nah - just explain your situation an you should be good . Think of all the Saffas that arrive here knowing no-one and sitting their firearms licence a couple of weeks after they arrive . Not an uncommon scenario. You will be fine .
    Lol fark no there's no way she'd employ me. Punctuation was never one of my strong points haha

Cheers Antz

Your boss is your wife ??? You poor sod .. ;-) ( I guess you missed the comma in there , huh ? )

Nah - just explain your situation an you should be good . Think of all the Saffas that arrive here knowing no-one and sitting their firearms licence a couple of weeks after they arrive . Not an uncommon scenario. You will be fine .
    It didn't work for me. I had photocopies of previous Fal in EU, reference from previous employers, am a qualified game keeper(4years full time studying) ,worked as a keeper since 20 years old and had the Mrs as reference. I had to wait six months and get NZ reference.
    Nothing is tough about having a 70 lb bow and looking like an uncoordinated praying mantis while trying to draw it back.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    You are both correct. Two different questions and both will be asked by the vetting officer.

The question I think Muzza is referring to: Tell me your reasons for wanting a licence.
    The question I think Koshogi is referring to: Tell me your responsibilities when using firearms; such as on private land, in self defence?
    I wasn't asked either of those questions.

The question was "Can you use a firearm in self defence? "

Maybe outside/different than the vetter's guide.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshogi View Post
    I wasn't asked either of those questions.

The question was "Can you use a firearm in self defence? "

Maybe outside/different than the vetter's guide.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Surprised that you weren't asked the first question mentioned above, or something meaning the same thing, as it's in the vetting guide which you sign. The second could be put as you were asked or "would you use a firearm in self defence?" Or again, something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
    I have a record - no violence or drugs/booze but did result in jail time.
    I have a FAL - I was upfront with the AO interviewing me and he was happy.
    So were my referees.
    Same story here, Gerbs. I checked with the AO and he told me it was worth having a go ( my stuff was a long time ago). So I did and got my FAL, no probs. Just be upfront with the AO and the vetter.What they want is to know you are a "fit and proper person" to own a firearm NOW.
    10-Ring likes this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    The vetter came to talk with my daughter about her A cat today.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Thought I'd stick a bit in here about what's now required in the uk as we are supposed to have the tightest gun laws in Europe. Application now cost £56 and can take four to five months. You have to have good reason to own a firearm Shotgun application is separate. Shotguns are limited to three shot unless on your firearms certificate. There are no Automatics allowed. Semi automatic .22 rimfires are accepted but no centre fires. You cannot own a firearm unless you have the land to shoot it on and this land has to be approved. Flat land no backstop,anywhere near a public footpath, road, etc is not going to get approval. It says on your returned certificate what the firearm is to be used for it control of deer, fox etc if you fail to ask for fox on a calibre then you are not allowed to use it on them. Bloody daft if your in 1000 acre Forrest with your 30:06 and mr fox steps out then and it's not on your certificate then ? If you don't ask for humane killing ie: deer,cow,dog hit by a car lying in the road then you would be breaking the law by shooting it and believe me someone has been done for it and lost his fac for doing it. You now have to have two referees of good character. You have to supply the name of your Doctor and allow Police to get in touch with them. Your home will be visited to check storage it gun safe and separate bolt and ammo safe. If it's your first time application you will be required to have a mentor which is supposed to be someone with experienced at handling firearms. You are told how many rounds you are allowed to keep for each calibre and they take a very dim view if your over your limit on inspection. Renewal is five yearly. You can't make jokes about defence and you would never even threaten to shoot anyone. There is a test that can be taken in UK run by BASC and deer society which covers deer species,shooting seasons, the Law regarding firearms. Recognition of species and a shooting test. Safety plays a big part in the test. The law encourages this to taken and I expect in years to come it may even be required if your to obtain an FAC. If you are leasing land then insurance companies often require it. Jobs for the Boys.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Hey Pomme bastard thanks for the summary. Clearly we have it a lot better over here. If you told the average kiwi firearms license holder that he / she couldn't shoot something with a rifle because it hadn't been disclosed at the time of purchase then the animal in question would soon be dead at your feet to prove they bloody well can.

By the way, we have a one for one Pomme trading scheme going over here. If you ever wanted to come on down then I would sponsor one of our members like @Pengy or @Scouser to be returned.
    Pengy and Scouser like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

You would have to drug me first mate. I wont go back voluntarily
    Forgotmaboltagain+1