Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Gun Safe Rules - Advice

Gun Safe Rules - Advice

Hi Everyone,

I'm after some advice if possible... I bought my first gun safe which is big enough to hold two standard sized rifles. It doesn't have a separate lockable compartment for ammo (I bought it prior to Christmas so funds were limited). I have various questions that I am assuming the person coming to vet me and the safe, hopefully next month, will want to check.

Does the safe have to be within the house, i.e. within the walls of the main house? The reason I ask is that I have a 'sort of' basement which has a lockable door. I figured that would be a good place but not sure whether it need to be in the actual house?

Does it need to be attached to a stud/joist? If so has anyone got any advice on the best way to do this?

As the safe is just one compartment, does anyone have any advice on how best to store everything? I figured I would inform the person vetting me that my plan is to store the firearm and ammo in the safe and the bolt elsewhere. Does that work?

I'd like to align as closely to the rules as the person vetting me will see them (although I imagine they will all have different opinions on various things) so I can get my FAL as soon as.

Any advice/suggestions appreciated as always!

Cheers

Matt

my safe (A cat) has 4 "tech screws" with large washers going down into a wooden floor, another 2 screws into the wall behind it. its damn solid!!
    its also inside a bedroom cupboard so no one can see it. inside a well alarmed house with a decent dog in the back.
    but the best security you can have is privacy, dont go ranting on on social media etc of what you own.
    tetawa and Matt-j like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    my safe (A cat) has 4 "tech screws" with large washers going down into a wooden floor, another 2 screws into the wall behind it. its damn solid!!
    its also inside a bedroom cupboard so no one can see it. inside a well alarmed house with a decent dog in the back.
    but the best security you can have is privacy, dont go ranting on on social media etc of what you own.
    +1 on technology screws in the floor and find a stud somewhere in the bedroom closet to back it onto. Metal toolbox with a paddock on it screwed to the floor somewhere else works for ammo and bolt
    Matt-j likes this.

MSL
    Are you guys talking about tech screws or coach screws?

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    I'm meaning the ones that are driven in with the drill and a driver rather than coach bolts with nuts on the inside of the safe

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    When I Google Coach Screws they seem to be readily available - but Technology Screws - nothing comes up... Not sure if they may be known as something different?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt-j View Post
    When I Google Coach Screws they seem to be readily available - but Technology Screws - nothing comes up... Not sure if they may be known as something different?
    Can't tell if you're taking the piss or not. They're called Tek screws. http://www.allpointsfasteners.com/whataretekscrews.html

Gonetropo called them "tech" screws, and 223nut repeated that, and I imagine autocorrect turned that into "technology" screws.
    Reindeer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    Can't tell if you're taking the piss or not. They're called Tek screws. http://www.allpointsfasteners.com/whataretekscrews.html

Gonetropo called them "tech" screws, and 223nut repeated that, and I imagine autocorrect turned that into "technology" screws.
    Thanks stretch - no, not taking the piss - 223nut referred to them as technology screws, which I figured was the correct name based on tech being short for technology. But when you spell it 'tek' that changes the results in Google. Sorry, I don't know much about hardware screws. To me a screw is generally someone who works in a prison, or a female of the species who allowed access to the contents of her knickers...
    tetawa, stretch and keneff like this.

Haha auto correct never fails to deliver - Technology screws the future is here. self fastening screws have landed, order yours today!!
    Matt-j likes this.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    You can install your gun cabinet in the basement or locked garage. Best inside if possible though for obvious reasons not to mention garages can get quite damp. If you do install it in a garage try and keep it out of sight from any windows or cover it up. Not a legal requirement at all but just plain common sense.

Try 10mm coach bolts 67mm or longer with good size washers behind them into a stud or nog. A couple into the floor doesn't hurt either. Substitute Dyna bolts for a concrete floor, these are just suggestions. It's part of my job to inspect firearm security and I've seen some very ingenious and clever ideas.

You must store your ammunition separately from your firearms unless the firearms are made inoperable. You can legally store the bolts in your rifle, however storing them elsewhere makes sense if it's practical to do so.

Apart from satisfying any legal requirement try and make it as difficult as possible for anyone to gain unlawful access to your firearms. That's what it all comes down to.
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

My advice is to get a bigger gun safe now, as a 2 gun safe will soon run out of room.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Yep auto correct got me!
    Matt-j likes this.

Fulla
    If you look at it like there are no rules for mounting...(the arms officer that did mine just grabbed it and shook it, and said yes that's sturdy) yet you want it the best you can do. As in not obvious, and everything you can do to keep a thief out. Nothing's full proof, but Screw, bolt, weld, round off screw/bolts and anything else you can think of. And plenty of those screws etc.And I'm sure it will be fine.
    Bolts and ammo just have to be somewhere else, separate. A small Bunnings safe may suit you, and mount it in the same manner.
    As said sheds can be damp, or somewhere by power so you can use a small wordrobe heater or the likes to keep moisture at bay.
    Maybe keep tools in the shed that can be used to break into the safe out of reach.
    You won't be able to stop thieves but maybe slow them.

Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    If you look at it like there are no rules for mounting...(the arms officer that did mine just grabbed it and shook it, and said yes that's sturdy) yet you want it the best you can do. As in not obvious, and everything you can do to keep a thief out. Nothing's full proof, but Screw, bolt, weld, round off screw/bolts and anything else you can think of. And plenty of those screws etc.And I'm sure it will be fine.
    Bolts and ammo just have to be somewhere else, separate. A small Bunnings safe may suit you, and mount it in the same manner.
    As said sheds can be damp, or somewhere by power so you can use a small wordrobe heater or the likes to keep moisture at bay.
    Maybe keep tools in the shed that can be used to break into the safe out of reach.
    You won't be able to stop thieves but maybe slow them.
    Good advice, thanks Bully

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    You can install your gun cabinet in the basement or locked garage. Best inside if possible though for obvious reasons not to mention garages can get quite damp. If you do install it in a garage try and keep it out of sight from any windows or cover it up. Not a legal requirement at all but just plain common sense.

Try 10mm coach bolts 67mm or longer with good size washers behind them into a stud or nog. A couple into the floor doesn't hurt either. Substitute Dyna bolts for a concrete floor, these are just suggestions. It's part of my job to inspect firearm security and I've seen some very ingenious and clever ideas.

You must store your ammunition separately from your firearms unless the firearms are made inoperable. You can legally store the bolts in your rifle, however storing them elsewhere makes sense if it's practical to do so.

Apart from satisfying any legal requirement try and make it as difficult as possible for anyone to gain unlawful access to your firearms. That's what it all comes down to.
    Thanks 10-Ring, good advice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk