Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree191Likes

Thread: Gun shot fired in Gun City Car park

personally, throw the whole damn book at him !
    no excuses, no "had a hard life BS"
    if i had seen it i would have pulled the bastard out of his car and laid him out till the cops arrived
    Feral, screamO and MSSPNZ like this.

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    To have an accidental discharge a firearm needs to be loaded. Remind me again what rule number three is.
    @Rushy

And how would anyone consider the deliberate loading of a firearm in such a place could ever be considered as "Accidental"

Cheers
    Pete
    Feral likes this.
    Arguing with an Engineer is like Wrestling a Pig in Mud.

After awhile you realise the Pig loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by Guypie View Post
    It shouldn't be too hard to get the situation sorted out without going down the court rabbithole. What I think should be your course of action is:

1) go file a report with the police, find out who is in charge of the case and get it all put on the same case number as when the culprit handed himself in (you may have already done this part)
    2) Give your insurance company the details of the officer who is dealing with the case and the case number
    3) your insurance company should then just confirm it's all tickety boo and pay you out the full replacement value/repair your car, no excess etc as they will get that out of mr accidental discharge.

I'm no expert but from my own dealings with police when someone wrote off my car this is pretty much how it should go down. Sorry you have to go through this, hope it all pans out for you.
    You would think so right ?!
    I think the lady we dealt with at the insurance company was just very ill informed. She added a hell of a lot of trouble to something that the company needs to deal with.
    only time will tell i guess. Mean while we know less than mr DT and it technically has nothing to do with him and the police refuse to give any details to us. If this were any regular day and it have been a car vs car and the person run and hide they would be done for not reporting the accident and running from the scene of the crime (from my understanding)

Quote Originally Posted by MSSPNZ View Post
    You would think so right ?! If this were any regular day and it have been a car vs car and the person run and hide they would be done for not reporting the accident and running from the scene of the crime (from my understanding)
    Totally. You've every right to be severely fucked off imo
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

northdude
    our good old injustice system working for the innocent once again

Quote Originally Posted by hamsav View Post
    Maybe ( I don't know your Dad ) taking this twit to court and making him pay for the damage done might be the "win " that could perk your Dad up a bit, you know , sticking it to some idiot that deserves it instead of just sucking it up

May get a win, but would then have to endure the usual "got no money, will give you $5 a week " BS.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by screamO View Post
    Maybe post some photos of the damage...........you never know, there are some bloody good buggers on here that might be able to help one way or anther.
    A valid point. Most firearms owners will be disgusted if you don't get some compensation. There are a lot of good buggers on here that may have access to panelbeating and painting equipment....

Quote Originally Posted by faregame View Post
    Yes - however, like the military those locations are places weapons are used as part of their duties

For civilians etc places gun and bullets should only be connected at ranges, hunting areas etc
    Not a car park or shop
    Nope this was a rifle that was being stored for a member of the public. Same as the loaded shotgun that was given back to a person and he discharged through the boot of his car?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

I'd reckon the shotgun issue is more a case of the guy getting complacent with his unloading procedures. Maybe the guy shot till he was too tired to check he was clear (lesson there). Maybe he's in too much of a habit and thought he was unloaded (also a lesson there). Either way that bloke should buy a lotto ticket because a car you can replace. What if that was a baby in a pram....
    Wirehunt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead is better View Post
    I'd reckon the shotgun issue is more a case of the guy getting complacent with his unloading procedures. Maybe the guy shot till he was too tired to check he was clear (lesson there). Maybe he's in too much of a habit and thought he was unloaded (also a lesson there). Either way that bloke should buy a lotto ticket because a car you can replace. What if that was a baby in a pram....
    sorry but COMPLACENCY HAS NO BUSINESS Around firearms.alternatively could we apply complacency to drink driving -i feeling complacent when i had the last beer ,then drove writing my car off and killing innocent people.
    NO in both cases simple rules bloody prevail -rules understandable by children in primary schools(the lingo at least)and if you cant understand those bloody rules then NO FAL.you make it your 1st priority to always be aware of the state of readiness of your weapon, dog tired ,or fresh out of the fartsack dont matter.
    I never never fail to frequently check my weapon and if IM hunting in a group -making fellow hunters aware of it.exactly the same. if geese are in abundance as we move in or out of the site -if im loaded all in the party know,so if opportunity does present ,and it has, we can take advantage.
    on return to the truck-Its unload and get someone to verify empty breech&mag before i put the gun in its case.
    same with my rifles-mag out ,bolt out gun stowed away ,mag,bolt and ammo all secured.
    christ only knows I get the shits when travelling in the truck or car with my armoury -all is locked away and covered up .if a cop stops me and finds this whats he /she to think?? let alone the dubious forms of DNAwho allegedly govern us and make the bloody laws despite that fact that possibly 90%of them wouldnt know a modern hunting weaponif it was to leap up and bite them on the arse.no,its all rambo and sniper shit they talk,licking party members arses in the process.
    as a modern f/a owner we gotta be aware of this.
    the lacksadaisical actions of a 50 yr old shooter cannot under any circumstances be condoned nor excused-sad fact of life .otherwise we just serve to enable slack practise ,and we know what that outcome is.
    tetawa, kidmac42 and ROKTOY like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    sorry but COMPLACENCY HAS NO BUSINESS Around firearms.alternatively could we apply complacency to drink driving -i feeling complacent when i had the last beer ,then drove writing my car off and killing innocent people.
    NO in both cases simple rules bloody prevail -rules understandable by children in primary schools(the lingo at least)and if you cant understand those bloody rules then NO FAL.you make it your 1st priority to always be aware of the state of readiness of your weapon, dog tired ,or fresh out of the fartsack dont matter.
    I never never fail to frequently check my weapon and if IM hunting in a group -making fellow hunters aware of it.exactly the same. if geese are in abundance as we move in or out of the site -if im loaded all in the party know,so if opportunity does present ,and it has, we can take advantage.
    on return to the truck-Its unload and get someone to verify empty breech&mag before i put the gun in its case.
    same with my rifles-mag out ,bolt out gun stowed away ,mag,bolt and ammo all secured.
    christ only knows I get the shits when travelling in the truck or car with my armoury -all is locked away and covered up .if a cop stops me and finds this whats he /she to think?? let alone the dubious forms of DNAwho allegedly govern us and make the bloody laws despite that fact that possibly 90%of them wouldnt know a modern hunting weaponif it was to leap up and bite them on the arse.no,its all rambo and sniper shit they talk,licking party members arses in the process.
    as a modern f/a owner we gotta be aware of this.
    the lacksadaisical actions of a 50 yr old shooter cannot under any circumstances be condoned nor excused-sad fact of life .otherwise we just serve to enable slack practise ,and we know what that outcome is.
    Agree 100%
    No excuses acceptable, we are all aware of the rules, and of the severity of risk if we don't stick to the rules.
    Hells Bells, rules or not, common sense has a place, doesn't it. Are we still allowed to exercise that here?
    kidmac42 and Hutch like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ROKTOY View Post
    Agree 100%
    No excuses acceptable, we are all aware of the rules, and of the severity of risk if we don't stick to the rules.
    Hells Bells, rules or not, common sense has a place, doesn't it. Are we still allowed to exercise that here?
    Common sense is a commodity that is being bred out of nz, cotton wool is its would-be replacement.
    tetawa, hamsav and Steve123 like this.
    Ya can't park there mate.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by kidmac42 View Post
    Common sense is a commodity that is being bred out of nz, cotton wool is its would-be replacement.
    Obituary

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.
    He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:

- Knowing when to come in out of the rain;
    - Why the early bird gets the worm;
    - Life isn't always fair; and
    - Maybe it was my fault..

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge). His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.

It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death, by his parents, Truth and Trust, by his wife, Discretion, by his daughter, Responsibility, and by his son, Reason.

He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers:
    I Know My Rights
    I Want It Now
    Someone Else Is To Blame
    I'm A Victim
    Not many attended his funeral because
    so few realized he was gone..
    If you still remember him, pass this on.
    If not, join the majority and do nothing.
    tetawa, kotuku, northdude and 10 others like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Having been in the firearms trade for over 45 years I can assure you that there is no shortage of fuckwits with firearms licenses! It is not that they are bad people, but they just fail to take all the checks that most people do when finishing shooting for the day. I have personally had 15 to 20 loaded firearms handed to me over the counter. I have always followed the common-sense course and pointed them in a safe direction while opening the action. The only two people who never got the full reaming from me were women who were dropping of guns for repair on behalf of fathers or sons, however they both went home with very pointed messages for the offenders. A loaded and cocked .308 Norma Magnum was passed to me by a Ch-Ch Detective Sergeant (who passed the muzzle across my face). He got the double reaming with chocolate sprinkles and whipped cream! He told me it had been in the back seat of his car since a hunting trip the previous weekend. People make silly mistakes from time to time that endanger others (including me and every other person) and it is part of being human. Some people just don't seem to get the message that firearms need a constant higher level of attention. Police, despite the 'superior' opinions of some of them, are humans and therefore liable to the same foibles as anyone else, a fact they need to consider before 'throwing the book' at people. The list of 'accidental' (I say negligent) discharges of firearms by the Police over the years is very long indeed, and is a far higher percentage than other sectors of society. Their situation is exacerbated by poor training, coupled with a superiority complex that comes from being in the largest gang in the country. There are only two types of people that don't make mistakes; those that are not yet born, and those that are dead.
    outdoorlad, mikee, nzfubz and 10 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    Having been in the firearms trade for over 45 years I can assure you that there is no shortage of fuckwits with firearms licenses! It is not that they are bad people, but they just fail to take all the checks that most people do when finishing shooting for the day. I have personally had 15 to 20 loaded firearms handed to me over the counter. I have always followed the common-sense course and pointed them in a safe direction while opening the action. The only two people who never got the full reaming from me were women who were dropping of guns for repair on behalf of fathers or sons, however they both went home with very pointed messages for the offenders. A loaded and cocked .308 Norma Magnum was passed to me by a Ch-Ch Detective Sergeant (who passed the muzzle across my face). He got the double reaming with chocolate sprinkles and whipped cream! He told me it had been in the back seat of his car since a hunting trip the previous weekend. People make silly mistakes from time to time that endanger others (including me and every other person) and it is part of being human. Some people just don't seem to get the message that firearms need a constant higher level of attention. Police, despite the 'superior' opinions of some of them, are humans and therefore liable to the same foibles as anyone else, a fact they need to consider before 'throwing the book' at people. The list of 'accidental' (I say negligent) discharges of firearms by the Police over the years is very long indeed, and is a far higher percentage than other sectors of society. Their situation is exacerbated by poor training, coupled with a superiority complex that comes from being in the largest gang in the country. There are only two types of people that don't make mistakes; those that are not yet born, and those that are dead.
    Which cuts it down to one as the dead have made mistakes....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk