Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Hearing protection

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    veitnamcam likes this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Got a suppressor on the .270 now, but years of duckshooting without plugs or muffs has left me with tinnitus. That started with a high pitched whine like a mozzie, and I spent many nights slapping myself silly(er) until I realised the whine never went away. After the missus left the whining stopped-nah just joking, shes still with me and still whining.
    Guys, use hearing protection - particularly you duckshooters. Those grunty 3" shells make a lot of noise.
    mikee likes this.
    Everyone is entitled to their own stupid opinion

Yep tinitus is a bitch, I wish I could cure mine
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Cups hands to ears and says "come again Dundee, what was that"
    Pump action Rushy....what
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Look after your ears even when shooting a .22 Being half deaf with a shithouse full of mozzies buzzing away is not remotely funny. After years as a PH with recoil retards and their damn muzzle brakes leads to too many "Sorry, beg your pardon, didn't catch that."
    kiwi39 likes this.

Remember that you cannot hear leaves rustling and the slight sounds deer make once your hearing is gone. Ever hunted with a mate when you're behind him and you see or hear something he doesn't and you go "pssst" and he doesn't hear you? You can't hear that over tinnitus or with hearing loss.

Even a semi-suppressor reduces the muzzle blast below the alleged damage threshold (and works a good as a muzzle break - excuse the pun). Any load noise hurts my ears and the tinnitus has multiple frequencies (prolly not caused by gunshot) and it's not funny at all!

Anyway, I always wear ear muffs when others are shooting or just ear plugs worn sideways with my semi-suppressor even when hunting (when I get to go hunting). That way I can still hear the leaves rustling (when the tinnitus isn't so bad).

Keep safe in the hills! Gunzrrr's Avatar
    Evidently it only takes one blast to cause some damage. I wear them all the time except when hunting. I have already damaged my hearing and not yet 50. I suppressed a lot of my hunting rifles (not just for this reason though) which helped and so did my mates.