Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Here's a question that is not so easy to answer.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River

Here's a question that is not so easy to answer.

Well it had the vetting officer baffled yesterday anyway. As a bit of background, my daughter and I both got vetted yesterday for our B and E endorsement and while the vetting officer was here I posed the following question.
    I have an A category AR15 and I am aware that if I have an E category MSSA then that rifle is registered to me and only I can use it and my daughter can't. But when we get our E, what if I have a 30 round magazine and attach it to my AR15 (thereby making it E cat), use it and then take the 30 round magazine off rendering it A cat again, and hand it to my daughter who attaches her own 30 round magazine making it E cat (for the duration that the magazine is on it).

So what is the deal with that? Would it be legal for me to give my A cat AR15 to my daughter ( which it should be)?

Someone on here must know but as I said, the vetting officer didn't know the answer.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Not that it is the same situation. When I did the Mountain safety course the instructor told us that he and his wife were "E" endorsed and had managed to get the same E cat gun registered to both of them, the point of his story was the Police didnt want to do it, possibly didnt know how to or it just didnt work well with their system.

Your AR15 is currently A cat and remains so when you get your E endorsement. While either of you (assuming you both have E cats) may possess multiple 30 shot mags and freely swap them with each other, you can't use them in your A cat AR15. Despite the E endorsement, you would need to get your AR15 put on ticket as an MSSA to use the bigger mags, then with the small mags you could still use it as an A (why?) but it could not be used by anyone without an E endorsement, and even then only when you are present. Your daughter would need a loan permit to use anyone elses MSSA, including yours. The MSSA's are specifically connected to the owner's endorsement. Ridiculous, but that is the situation. Most cops would look at your licence and go away happy without doing a specific serial number check.
    P38, kimjon, mikee and 6 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Well it had the vetting officer baffled yesterday anyway. As a bit of background, my daughter and I both got vetted yesterday for our B and E endorsement and while the vetting officer was here I posed the following question.
    I have an A category AR15 and I am aware that if I have an E category MSSA then that rifle is registered to me and only I can use it and my daughter can't. But when we get our E, what if I have a 30 round magazine and attach it to my AR15 (thereby making it E cat), use it and then take the 30 round magazine off rendering it A cat again, and hand it to my daughter who attaches her own 30 round magazine making it E cat (for the duration that the magazine is on it).

So what is the deal with that? Would it be legal for me to give my A cat AR15 to my daughter ( which it should be)?

Someone on here must know but as I said, the vetting officer didn't know the answer.
    Would be fine as long as you are BOTH the registered owners of said "E" rifle not uncommon situation .

Total bollocks really as long as you both have your E endorsements it should not matter but..................................... we wont go there eh.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Thanks gundoc. That is the sort of answer I was after.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

res
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilli_Dog View Post
    Not that it is the same situation. When I did the Mountain safety course the instructor told us that he and his wife were "E" endorsed and had managed to get the same E cat gun registered to both of them, the point of his story was the Police didnt want to do it, possibly didnt know how to or it just didnt work well with their system.
    My old AO had a Large number of my E cat firarms against both mine and others licances as a practical way to deal with the amount of each year I spend out of NZ, he retired and his replacment (withount any consotation with me) made the only on my freinds licance where they are stored. A right pain in the arse and its resulted in a endless pile of paperwork for both her and I every time Im back in the country-but she swears that the way the old AO was doing it was not aceptable.
    Using Tapatalk

Rushy, your question is a bit like the Emperor's new clothes - it shows up just how fucking idiotic the system we currently work under is

Of course, if you have your C-cat endorsement ( which is just the extra $200 same as E and B and can be applied for all at one time and cost) then you can buy a pistol at auction on your C, take it home without a pinky, apply to get one from your pistol club armourer at your leisure and convenience then get it put onto your B and fire it once it is on your B-cat

Hey I don't make the rules
    P38 and veitnamcam like this.

Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    My old AO had a Large number of my E cat firarms against both mine and others licances as a practical way to deal with the amount of each year I spend out of NZ, he retired and his replacment (withount any consotation with me) made the only on my freinds licance where they are stored. A right pain in the arse and its resulted in a endless pile of paperwork for both her and I every time Im back in the country-but she swears that the way the old AO was doing it was not aceptable.
    ...Lovely isn't she!

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    but it could not be used by anyone without an E endorsement, and even then only when you are present.
    To further prove the point of how retarded our law is.....

This is also incorrect. No one, BUT the registered owner/s may shoot an E endorsed firearm.
    Skatieguy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post

Also,

The vetting officers generally don't know shit about firearms laws, just how to ask the questions written in the book.
    Not their fault, nor is it really their job to know much more, they're not cops or AO's.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    There wouldn't be too many people including lawyers that know a lot (just about everything) about firearms law.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    There wouldn't be too many people including lawyers that know a lot (just about everything) about firearms law.
    Correct, what's your point?

so following same illlogic (is that even a word???) a single shot break open like a TC that has two barrels and a hand/pistol grip...one set of barrels make total overall length more than 762mm and the other barrel doesnt...... so registered as a pistol/handgun your saying it cant be used by anyone else even with the longer barrel....or indeed a but stock fitted??????

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Jexla View Post
    Correct, what's your point?
    Read above.

What's the point of your question?

This is the relevant part of an email I got from my local AO ref. this question. Copy and pasted for your perusal.

When you both have an E endorsement, you are able to jointly own that MSSA. He must have the security too though.

The report that comes with the safe is sufficient.

Regards
    AzumitH and 308 like this.