Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Home Security

P38

Home Security

After our recent burglary I have been looking at ways to improve my home security especially with the storage of my firearms.

I've seen these wireless IP motion detection cameras on Trade Me and thought they would be the bees knees to alert me to something not quite right at home when we are not there.

WiFi Wireless Security IP Camera BLACK | Trade Me

I know nothing about these cameras other than what I've read in the Auctions.

My question to the Forum is
    Has anyone installed/used these cameras?
    What do you recon about their performance good, bad or otherwise?
    For a couple of hundy investment are they worthwhile installing?

I'd appriciate your thoughts on this.

Cheers
    Pete

Should be alright but would also consider including a monitored burglar alarm in the set up cameras are good for catching the pricks red handed and identifying but an alarm squaking its arse off should attract attention from neighbours as well as the authorities that gets the activation signal at the monitoring service. If it were me I would have a Security fence like you see on car yards with hotwires and razor wire along the top of the fence line they try to get through they get a boot the try to go over they get cut up
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

P38
    I hear what your saying Hunter308.

Silent Monitored Alarms have been in for over a week now.

Unfortunately Razor wire and mains powered hot wires, while a bloody good idea, just isn't gonna be a happening thing for my Home.
    I want the criminals to end up living behind the wire .... not me.

The idea of the cameras was to not only be notified when away from home but also to enable me to identify the criminals and record their activities.

Not knowing who they are is one of the worst parts of being burgled for me.

For all I know these bastards could live over the back fence.

Whats the resolution like on these cameras?
    Is it good enough to positively identify people or are they crappy like many of the security camera photos shown on Police Ten Seven?

Knowledge is power.

Cheers
    Pete
    Last edited by P38; 03-06-2013 at 11:39 PM.

Ejected
    Booby traps.

SiB
    Remember you can set the alarm system to call your cell ph with an error msg. I had one that would txt which sensor had been triggered and I could decide to make the call to my security contractor if serious/suspicious. Saved me monitoring fees, though a call-out was $80-odd it suited me at the time.

remember a UPS power supply is necessary if you're serious.

Got dogs? Statiscally, fewer houses with dogs are burgled.

I still like the booby trap, razor wire and HV electric cable best of all though.
    NOBODY IS PERFECT - but if you're from Yorkshire you're pretty close
    The above was written slowly, for those of us who can't read quickly.

I'm following this with interest as p 38's story has me thinking about my own security - especially surrounding crims checking out your security then coming back !
    If my work annoys me, I cull them

Some of the security companies take forever to respond and when they do they can't actually do anything about it, then when they discover a break in has actually occurred they get around to calling the Police. If it's a silent alarm then make sure your company has instructions to call Police immediately, not when they confirmed a break in. Burgs on jobs are right up there in the Police priority, especially when firearms could be involved, and they will get there quicker than the security company and be able to do something about it if burglars are on scene. If the alarm messaged to your phone you could call 111 yourself, especially if there are multiple sensor activations.

Chances are they will see your beefed up security and move on to another place.

Hard drive digital video recorder, hook it up with cameras have it secured away either in roof or something that takes time to get into
    Have a secondary HDD hooked up and hidden away, in the event they do get to the recording equipment they may take it but you will still have the secondary recording everything.
    House alarm got an external siren ? Great well get 2 or 3 louder the better.
    Get a gate buzzer set and approx 1 meter from the ground you know like in the shops buzz when you walk in, great for when your home and you can get it hooked up to alarm system to start real time no lapse recording when it goes off.
    Doesn't hurt to have audio capture too catch their voice or pickup names.

Get to know of the neighbours and if you already do, why not start up neighbourhood support group ? Easy to do, crime prevention is not just your responsibility it's everyone's.
    Grouchy Smurf had it right all along...

Purchased last year and imported directly into NZ.

GSM alarm similar to this one here, nice and loud and pop in a GSM cell chip and it'll txt to all the numbers listed that the alarm has gone off. Half a dozen motion sensors around the house, door and window sensors, and wireless key remotes and external solar powered siren. I want the buggers to know the alarm has gone off to deter the casual burglar. A similar one on TM goes for @NZ$450.

5 x cctv camera unit here with IR and waterproof cameras here. 3 cameras have an overt presence, 2 cameras are a bit more covert but only if you glance around. Looking will easily show them. Has web browser viewing and an app for viewing them on my phone. Records onto an endless loop and the quality is amazing - crisp and clear, I went for the 700 line tv cameras which cost a touch more but record in higher quality (the shit ones you see on bank videos and Police 10/7 are usually only 400 line cameras). It also helps having the cameras mounted where you would get a good shot of someone's face rather than up high looking down at a peak cap.

Overall way cheaper than buying in NZ, I could set it up the way I wanted and the dealers in AliExpress all replied promptly and delivered to NZ with no hassles.

Plus I have great neighbours

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Awesome Tussock.

Although I'm not sure what you did to get the lipstik out

My sister has a Neopolitan called Ruby.
    Ruby takes up the whole lounge floor when she's stretched out.

Cheers
    Pete

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
    Purchased last year and imported directly into NZ.

GSM alarm similar to this one here, nice and loud and pop in a GSM cell chip and it'll txt to all the numbers listed that the alarm has gone off. Half a dozen motion sensors around the house, door and window sensors, and wireless key remotes and external solar powered siren. I want the buggers to know the alarm has gone off to deter the casual burglar. A similar one on TM goes for @NZ$450.

5 x cctv camera unit here with IR and waterproof cameras here. 3 cameras have an overt presence, 2 cameras are a bit more covert but only if you glance around. Looking will easily show them. Has web browser viewing and an app for viewing them on my phone. Records onto an endless loop and the quality is amazing - crisp and clear, I went for the 700 line tv cameras which cost a touch more but record in higher quality (the shit ones you see on bank videos and Police 10/7 are usually only 400 line cameras). It also helps having the cameras mounted where you would get a good shot of someone's face rather than up high looking down at a peak cap.

Overall way cheaper than buying in NZ, I could set it up the way I wanted and the dealers in AliExpress all replied promptly and delivered to NZ with no hassles.

Plus I have great neighbours
    Thanks for this Kscot.

I'll check it out.

Cheers
    Pete

My cousin breeds Neos, offered me a pup as security but i reckon it would cost more to feed than a house alarm and video etc

Iv got a big black dog with a bark like a shot gun going off that will bail anyone at the gate and a medium black dog that will sneak round behind and bite if you do happen to get in.
    There is a sign on the gate sayin do not enter dogs roaming free, and they are.
    Enter uninvited and get chewed too bloody bad.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Tools not Toys
    Anyone got one of those damaged Ecat safes of TM?????????? From Topmaq in CHCH
    Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Iv got a big black dog with a bark like a shot gun going off that will bail anyone at the gate and a medium black dog that will sneak round behind and bite if you do happen to get in.
    There is a sign on the gate sayin do not enter dogs roaming free, and they are.
    Enter uninvited and get chewed too bloody bad.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    +1 my front fence is .900 high everyone crosses the road now.he has the whole yard.