Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Home Security

Where do you live Pete? Bloody hell!

On the farm we have quite a few trail cams set up and they've helped with a handful of charges laid by the local cop. Dad also never has less than 15 dogs at one time and they are trained to bark at strange vehicles or people driving up the road (a no exit one) or the drive. A couple of the big huntaways would sort you out pretty quick if you upset them too much. Add the dogs to motion sensors and alarms and flood lights that light up the workshop yard area like daylight. Will only stop 'honest' burglars though, but helps with insurance etc.

Our new community I have moved to seems to be fairly friendly, we have had a couple of the older neighbours knock on our door to let us know we had visitors while we were obviously away. Both times they were just mates, but good to know the neighbours have nothing better to do than keep an eye on the new place! If we go away for extended time I set up a trail cam just for evidence sake.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
    Steven

Are they not very secure even with a log on and password?

Do these cameras even have have a log on and password feature?

I thought I could begin the recording on the PC I have accessed the cameras from.

Like I said i know nothing about them but the idea sounds good.

Cheers
    Pete
    See, if I talk about my experience with these cameras then its like awesome, as I used to think like you only before installing these but to be honest it can be said as "Dangerous Dog" that detect the Damn theft!! And burgles the alarm, so don't hesitate to installs these,, try on!!

Pete,
    I dont know much about those cameras on TM but as soon as I saw then I thought I bet they're being brought in from China. Lo and behold 10 seconds later I found them for you:

Wholesale WiFi Wireless Security IP Camera - Buy Low Price WiFi Wireless Security IP Camera Lots on Aliexpress.com

If you do go for one of them do yourself a favour and bring one in yourself for $40US

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Lots of advise ,some crap some good. A monited alarm is your best bet with an external siren The security guy will get there before the cops most times. A camera in your house is good and is evidence in court. But be careful how you use that footage. For those guys who think I'll do the monitoring myself and respond, good luck. most crims are brought up in a very different environment than us, and physical violence is their way of life, for most it's the only life they have. My 2 cents

P38
    Thanks for the advise guys.

I have installed monitored alarms and a will install a couple of IP cameras too.
    Monitoring costs less than a box of beer a month.... should of done this years ago.

Thanks for the link Stu I 'll follow that up, can afford to install a couple at that price.

Gapped Axe your right these guys just don't operate in my world and although I'm ok with a bit of Physical biffo going down from time to time ....... These particular guys are to be avoided that's for sure.

The idea is for the camera and monitored alarms to alert us to a situation then it's a simple 111 call to leave it to the professionals sort the rest.

JD is also on patrol and loving it.

Cheers
    Pete

Hi Pete, if you can, install a couple of dummy cams up high and put the real ones down about chest height in the 'blind spot" works real well.

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    Hi Pete, if you can, install a couple of dummy cams up high and put the real ones down about chest height in the 'blind spot" works real well.
    Thanks for this advise Walker.

Cheers
    Pete

Walker is right on the money, we have our cams at face height, set in interior corners so they can't be circumvented - another thing to keep in mind is that if you have security lihgting that they don't face towards the lens at all, otherwise come the evening they lose a lot of definition from white balance issues.