Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree106Likes

Thread: The IRIS - a great Kiwi product, what do you think?

The IRIS - a great Kiwi product, what do you think?

Hi Forum, last week we did a show about the IRIS from the Hunters Safety Lab.

Before recording the interview I was unsure if I liked the idea or not (and had some concerns) , after talking to the inventor I really like the idea of the product, but am yet to try it out - I now have one to try (although I will not get a chance to use it for a couple of weeks)

What do you think about the idea of this Kiwi designed product, and have any of you tried it?

Would you use it?

If you are unsure or want to know more listen to the show and reply to this post .

Below is a link to the show and a photo of the set that I am going to try out.

EP19 - Interview with MICHAEL SCOTT from the Hunter Safety Lab 08/04 by The Hunting Show | Hobbies Podcasts

also let me know if you do not want me using your comments when I review the product in a few weeks time.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Honestly, no I wold not use it.
    ebf, Toby, BRADS and 2 others like this.

No thanks. Look, I completely see where the guy is going with this but someone at some point will rely on it to tell them if its OK to shoot or not and will make the biggest mistake of their and the other persons life.
    P38, ishoot10s, ebf and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
    No thanks. Look, I completely see where the guy is going with this but someone at some point will rely on it to tell them if its OK to shoot or not and will make the biggest mistake of their and the other persons life.
    This is just a question - don't you think its just another tool in the hunter safety tool box.... I don't think you would stop checking (well I wouldn't)

I think of the James "Dodzy" Dodds case, and cant help but think this tool could have saved a life.

I would challenge you to tune into the interview as well, see what you think about what the inventor MICHAEL SCOTT has to say.

The idea is good in theory, but not everyone's going to wear it. Making it near useless and like mentioned above there are people who will buy this so they don't have to identify there target which brings us back to the first point not everyone will wear it. So it could quite possibly make things worse.
    Kiwi Greg and steven like this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

ebf
    I mostly hunt with iron sights, so not really applicable.

Also not 100% comfortable with people relying on an electronic gadget and someone else wearing the id strip - would prefer that we have a fundamental change in hunter education and licensing to address the issue of non target identification.

Having said that, if it saves one family from losing a dad/brother/son, then it is not a bad thing.
    scottrods, Pengy and POME like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Yea I understand your reasoning for this thread.

I - like many hunters, as you know - don't like to rely on technology. I can only see another form of reliance on a item that runs on a battery and If flat wouldn't identify a hunter.

I would prefer it to be smacked into everyone with a hammer to identify their target first.
    scottrods and Happy like this.

ebf
    Oh, and if you want to use comments from here, I suggest you SPECIFICALLY ask the relevant user, rather than just assuming a blanket agreement - not cool.

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Oh, and if you want to use comments from here, I suggest you SPECIFICALLY ask the relevant user, rather than just assuming a blanket agreement - not cool.
    This is a public forum, like Facebook, and no one is using their real name any comment made in any forum could end up in the news or media, I am always careful and respectful with using comments because I like using this and other forum.

IN Saying that, point taken.

I mostly hunt with iron sights, so not really applicable.

Also not 100% comfortable with people relying on an electronic gadget and someone else wearing the id strip - would prefer that we have a fundamental change in hunter education and licensing to address the issue of non target identification.

Having said that, if it saves one family from losing a dad/brother/son, then it is not a bad thing.
    67% of hunting accident victims are shot by a member of their own hunting party, so maybe it would help with friendly fire accidents. YOU ARE RIGHT education is the key, I think things like this are the back up.

ebf
    Friendly fire accidents....

Failure to identify target
    Failure to stick to agreed hunting zones
    Failure to think clearly and control "buck fever" or whatever you want to call it.

I am seriously concerned that this type of "solution" will be exactly what is seized upon by the do-gooders and media. It is a band-aid, and does not address the real issue.
    P38, Kiwi Greg, Ryan and 1 others like this.

Friendly fire accidents....

Failure to identify target
    Failure to stick to agreed hunting zones
    Failure to think clearly and control "buck fever" or whatever you want to call it.

I am seriously concerned that this type of "solution" will be exactly what is seized upon by the do-gooders and media. It is a band-aid, and does not address the real issue.
    Good point, I do agree with what you are saying (in fact had similar thoughts). But if it saves a life.......

P38
    Nice Idea and very good intentions.

But the design and function of this device is poorly thought through and can be defeated in many, many, ways IMO.

The major flaw I see is introducing the idea that an "Electronic Gadget" should be relied upon to replace the "Hunters" responsibility to "Positively Identifying His Target".

Even if this Electronic Device was manufactured to the Highest Standards (e.g. 6 Sigma) there would still be failure rates in the order of 6 units per million coming out of the factory Add to this all the other variants that consumers will inevitably add to the use of this device, I would suggest that you may see a higher failure rate than the current status quo.

Also bear in mind that those same people you mentioned who "Failed to Positively Identify their Targets" would also fail to use this device or simply ignore the warnings it gave them.

Unfortunately while were are all living and breathing carbon based organisms your never going to be able to completely eliminate the idiot factor.

The obvious commercial factor combined with the not so subtle suggestions that this the complete answer and should be used by all hunters also some what disturbs me.

Cheers
    Pete
    ebf, Happy, Gibo and 2 others like this.

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hunting Show View Post
    This is a public forum, like Facebook, and no one is using their real name any comment made in any forum could end up in the news or media, I am always careful and respectful with using comments because I like using this and other forum.

IN Saying that, point taken.
    I use my real name, so do lots of others.

Please bear this in mind.

Cheers
    Pete
    ebf, Gibo and The Hunting Show like this.

Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
    I use my real name, so do lots of others.

Please bear this in mind.

Cheers
    Pete
    Yes, was more trying to point out that this like most things on line is a public forum, I have always been careful and respectful when quoting, but many others are not