Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: jesus wept

I never. Mentioned the four occasions when the same bloke has suddenly popped up in an area i am hunting when he is supposed to be in another part of the park.
    "no sign there or couldnt cross river " are two lame excuses i recall
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

well pengy old chap[ youve my sympathies there- ya must wonder how ya come to be akin to daggy sheeps arse on a hot day -attracting this blowfly!
    if you encounter him again take him aside and genteely point out that youre no longer an item ;furthermore should he not take heed youll invoke the oscar pistorious defence and he wont have a leg to stand on- but make sure ya dont stump him.
    Pengy and Micky Duck like this.

Before taking a rifle into a house, tent , basher or car . Step 1..mag out..Step 2 bolt out, action cleared. Step 3 .. Step inside. Really simple even an idiot should manage.
    Pengy likes this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Turehu View Post
    Before taking a rifle into a house, tent , basher or car . Step 1..mag out..Step 2 bolt out, action cleared. Step 3 .. Step inside. Really simple even an idiot should manage.
    Welcome Turehu.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    Certainly makes him questionable in my opinion.

Although I am sure said member will post here to protest that the above is all BS
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Anyone know the outcome for the little kiddy ? I hope all good.

I bought a wee semi auto 22 a while back, then while at an `ex` mates place, I thought I would show it to him.
    He hunts and has few firearms. Anyway, he doesn't bother to check the state of the rifle, but proceeds to twirl it around above his head while laughing and telling me "its a fcking toy"....then he pulls the trigger. It was cocked somehow, but unloaded, luckily. I knew it was unloaded, but not sure how it got cocked.
    Same guy shot a hole in the ground a meter in front of himself on hunt, while trying to lower the hammer on his 30-30 when hammer slipped. No safety on. Also bragged to me about shooting a deer at 80 meters when all he could see was a patch of orange through the bush...."But I knew it was a deer, cos I watched it for 5 minutes and could see it breathing"

I don't hunt with him anymore

Point I am making is that even people who have been around firearms for many years can make the most basic errors.
    I never. Mentioned the four occasions when the same bloke has suddenly popped up in an area i am hunting when he is supposed to be in another part of the park.
    "no sign there or couldnt cross river " are two lame excuses i recall

A ticking timebomb in anyones book.
    You can do your best to keep away from unsafe rip, shit and bust hunters. Unfortunately there is no law of stupidity to keep them out of the bush.
    Sound similar to the NZDA firearms safety guy down lower SI who recently mistook another hunter for a deer and killed him.
    Another reason to hunt with a partner, at least one of you can make it out to call for help

Banned
    What good sound comments here. A great thread for all newly licenced gun owners to read in entirety as they still don't receive proper hands on training 4 1/2 years on
    Mintie likes this.

My heart goes out to this family - I cannot imagine the stress and regret they must be experiencing right now. At some point in the chain if events, someone was negligent, and it lead to a tragedy unfolding. We can all take a lesson from this and should do so.

I've experienced a negligent discharge, although thankfully there were no injuries. All it takes is a single incorrect assumption or a lapse in dilligence. Numerous friends and associates have as well - almost all with semi auto pistols.

I believe that if you handle firearms regularly enough, the odds of something like this happening increases, to the point where your number will come up. Just pray that on that day, you are fortunate enough to get away without an injury, let alone a fatality.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

This thread is from 2014.......

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    This thread is from 2014.......
    Yes it is, that it why I said 4 1/2 years on. Regardless, there are salutary lessons for newly licenced shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    Guns always loaded and the horse always kicks. (Anyone know if this saying came from a very old film I saw when I was a kid called the Sundowner's). First time I heard it an I am just curious. I know its on someone's avatar

I bet kids put the slug gun away in the Cupboard loaded.

No excuse though it should never have been pointed at another human.
    Doubtful, unless they were soft kids.
    The gun goes back in the cupboard when the ammo runs out!
    Mintie likes this.
    Use enough gun

Anyone know the outcome for the little kiddy ? I hope all good.

I bought a wee semi auto 22 a while back, then while at an `ex` mates place, I thought I would show it to him.
    He hunts and has few firearms. Anyway, he doesn't bother to check the state of the rifle, but proceeds to twirl it around above his head while laughing and telling me "its a fcking toy"....then he pulls the trigger. It was cocked somehow, but unloaded, luckily. I knew it was unloaded, but not sure how it got cocked.
    Same guy shot a hole in the ground a meter in front of himself on hunt, while trying to lower the hammer on his 30-30 when hammer slipped. No safety on. Also bragged to me about shooting a deer at 80 meters when all he could see was a patch of orange through the bush...."But I knew it was a deer, cos I watched it for 5 minutes and could see it breathing"

I don't hunt with him anymore

Point I am making is that even people who have been around firearms for many years can make the most basic errors.
    Wow, that just makes my blood run cold.

I had an instructor deal to me at Burnham when I was 16 for accepting a firearm without asking if it was 'safe' (empty), that sorted me out for life and has kept me and others safe at least in part and I've handed that lesson on to others albeit without the kicking.
    Moa Hunter likes this.