Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: The Law - any clarity?

I haven't bothered to read either of your cases, so I will limit myself to the information that you have provided.

You fail to identify the what context of that specific case might be. Clearly the judge in your quote does not rule out other cases requiring exactly that. The facts in Dreaden might well establish a lower level of accountability in either recklessness or carelessness, but again that is not specified in your response.

Secondly the judge does not define the meaning of that particular phrase "so as to", which at first glance appears to indicate both knowledge and awareness of outcome. It also implies intent, and unless there is specific disqualification of that meaning what you have quoted is not the end of the matter.

Reasonable cause - is grammatically correct for the sentence structure. You couldn't put "use" into that sentence and make sense. "Cause" is not compulsion in this context, and is simply a requirement for objectively considered choice. As such it is subject to review by others, and is not simply a matter of what the individual thinks is OK. And yes that may be balanced against the effect as you indicated, but objective evaluation of one and not the other is inconsistent as pointed out below.

As you may well know, a counter defence is actually a defence in general understanding, and yes I accept that super sensitivity is not a recognised defence in law for someone charged with this offence. But as a principle it is well established in determining effect in subjective response to accident, incident or claim for injury. To suggest that it bears no relevance to subjective response in this type of offence seems not only counter intuitive, it is also inconsistent with general legal principles. It has not been established that an objective evaluation of the complainants response is not applicable in what you have shown.

You are welcome to show where that has been established, but Dreaden doesn't in what you have shown here...

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidney View Post
    I haven't bothered to read either of your cases, so I will limit myself to the information that you have provided.

You fail to identify the what context of that specific case might be. Clearly the judge in your quote does not rule out other cases requiring exactly that. The facts in Dreaden might well establish a lower level of accountability in either recklessness or carelessness, but again that is not specified in your response.
    If you are saying I have not correctly formed the Ratio Decidendi from these two cases, isnt the onus on you to identify the correct ratio and my exact error? Here you are essentially saying you have not read these cases but I am (probably) wrong nevertheless.

Secondly the judge does not define the meaning of that particular phrase "so as to", which at first glance appears to indicate both knowledge and awareness of outcome. It also implies intent, and unless there is specific disqualification of that meaning what you have quoted is not the end of the matter.
    Unless and until you can prove "so as to" carries that intention burden, you are stuck with the Dreaden dictum.

Reasonable cause - is grammatically correct for the sentence structure. You couldn't put "use" into that sentence and make sense. "Cause" is not compulsion in this context, and is simply a requirement for objectively considered choice. As such it is subject to review by others, and is not simply a matter of what the individual thinks is OK. And yes that may be balanced against the effect as you indicated, but objective evaluation of one and not the other is inconsistent as pointed out below.
    Yes...? I am not sure if this passage is intended to rebut my previous posts and if so which part.

As you may well know, a counter defence is actually a defence in general understanding,
    I do not know that to be the case at all.

and yes I accept that super sensitivity is not a recognised defence in law for someone charged with this offence. But as a principle it is well established in determining effect in subjective response to accident, incident or claim for injury.
    You will have to elaborate on this point. I am only aware of one area of law where Egg Shell is recognised as a possible defence - that is private nuisance. Would you kindly explain how and in what other areas of law "it is well established in determining effect in subjective response to accident, incident or claim for injury."

To suggest that it bears no relevance to subjective response in this type of offence seems not only counter intuitive, it is also inconsistent with general legal principles. It has not been established that an objective evaluation of the complainants response is not applicable in what you have shown.
    I have made no such suggestion. Let me repeat my position:
    • As a defendant, you would logically argue that a normal person in the complainant's shoe would not have been scared, therefore the judge should draw the conclusion that this complainant was not in fact scared. If the judge accepts this submission and finds, as a matter of fact, the complainant was not scared, the charge fails.
    • However, as a defendant you may not argue that because a normal person in the complainant's shoe would not have been scared, this complainant was being unreasonable if he was scared. As long as the judge finds that the complainant was scared, regardless whether it was reasonable or not (i.e. whether he was a egg shell skull or not), this part of the charge is satisfied.

I am not sure how else to state this position more clearly.

You are welcome to show where that has been established, but Dreaden doesn't in what you have shown here...
    The quoted passage from Dreaden simply says intention to scare is not required. That passage does not deal with reasonableness of being scared.

No I am saying you haven't made your case... don't bother quoting latin at me, I know just as much as you do, if not more. The wider audience are already unimpressed with this argument already, and latin will finish them off.

Dreadon as you quoted it, does not bind other cases in applying the need for intention to be established. The judge say specifically that in the quote that you made. Again you fail to qualify the context or the facts in argument - it is possible that the judge brought in other levels of accountability, recklessness or carelessness but you do not specify. You made the argument - I just questioned it - you need to back it up..

Egg shell sensitivity? What about mental injury? The most obvious area? Do you think that the mental effect of being frightened might have some relationship to that area of law in allowing a judge to determine the merit of the complainants case?

This law cannot be applied in the absense of knowledge, absence of intent, abcense of recklessness or carelessness. If it was that would lead to inequitable outcome. All I am asking you to do is to clarify what is required to establish this offence and what you have quoted from Dreadon does not do that. This is not a strict liability offence.