Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: A live mortar blown up in Bay of Plenty was 'still highly explosive'

Started sending this to MPs and anyone who will listen....I would email Mr Cahill but unfortunately logic and common sense appear to be foreign languages to him...

I am writing this in the hopes that someone will actually listen to reason. Everyone in the media seems to be falling over themselves to back Chris Cahill over a buyer being able to obtain firearms through trade me without a license.

There is two issues here where fault can be placed.

First and foremost- The person who sent / sold the firearm to the unlicensed buyer will be a trademe me user and I am sure the Police should be asking him for the evidence that he received that the buyer actually had a license which is obviously NOT the case. Was he deceived? Or did he supply without checking?

Second, If that seller has evidence that shows he has verified that the buyer from trade me had a license, then if that verification is false then the buyer is guilty of fraud or forgery or whatever means of deception he used to obtain the firearm illegally.

In all of the possible scenarios that I can think of here, there is a law that has been broken intentionally by someone, be it the seller / supplier of the firearms and the person who possessed them. There are already laws in place to restrict these actions, and clearly if people are intent on breaking the law, the clearly more laws for them to break will not help. None of the proposed suggestions from Mr Cahill would make any difference to someone who is intent on breaking the law.
    As for his claims of importing; did he import through the legal channels which require permits to import or customs checks. If he obtained permits to import from the Police then what verification did they see that showed he had the appropriate license to import?

While this is a terrible tragedy and there is no disagreement that he should have, under NO circumstance, had firearms, the question has to be asked; why the members of the community did not come forward and say to the police that there is an unlicensed / unsuitable person with firearms here. His "mate" was even on TV saying that he knew that he had firearms and that he was using methods of deception to import and procure these, yet he sees nothing wrong with this. In my personal view, he is almost as much responsibility for his inaction as the person who fired the gun.

I can only wish to see some signs of common sense and I hope to hear logic and practicality and reason as we approach an election, unfortunately as long as Chris Cahill keeps talking, both my wishes and hopes will likely fall on deaf ears. He brings emotion and personal agenda's to the table with no thought to logic and common sense. His information is usually inaccurate enough that he is either badly informed or intentionally deceptive. Ironically, one can only hope it is the former of the two.

I would like to hear on the media that prosecutions will follow as Police find who sold him these firearms and / or who (if anyone other than the perpetrator) can share the blame for not informing the Police he had firearms or that the Police did nothing when / if they were informed.

Thank you for your time
    Badbootboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    The level of stupidity in some of those comments are of Olympic quality.
    It is disturbing once you realise that many people we rub shoulders with from day to day are sadly illiterate, do not think critically, and must therefore be content to ride through life feeding their brains on TV soundbites. But this does not bar them from having opinions, even voting.
    Ryan and norsk like this.