Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: MSC just sacked all its volunteers.

Crazy.
    stingray likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Ryan some of us just cant be "fcuked"
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by greghud View Post
    just back from the road show with the head of the mountain safety council.
    long story short we will all be replaced by paid staff, delivering to less than a third of the current locations.
    Yay!
    i am so mad i could just scream!
    Greg

So you're saying that it's all done and dusted when there are still eight "workshops" yet to be held? They want our input on the three modules they are presenting, one only is for 5 full time paid employees to deliver, one for 40 part time and one for fifteen part time and 72 volunteers.

I hadn't realised it was the firearms instructors they were getting rid of, I thought you guys were "safe". Can't see how they are going to keep the same level of service. Rural people are probably going to have to travel a long way or wait a long time to be able to go on a course.
    Backdoor firearms control. You have to go on a course to get your firearms licence, sorry the next course in your area is 2020.

It's a disgrace, I'm sure they have already decided on what option they are going with & the roadshow is a token "consultation" I was working so missed the one here, the only reason they want to hold onto it is because of the money they get from NZ Police & they are trying to spin it to sound like they know what they are doing. The sooner its contracted out to another organisation the better.
    mikee likes this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    It's a disgrace, I'm sure they have already decided on what option they are going with & the roadshow is a token "consultation" I was working so missed the one here, the only reason they want to hold onto it is because of the money they get from NZ Police & they are trying to spin it to sound like they know what they are doing. The sooner its contracted out to another organisation the better.
    You're possibly very right about that but lets wait until we get some official statement from the MSC or Police before commencing the mudslinging.

I spoke to someone highish up in MSC apparently driven by the Police. Police are worried only 140ish active firearms instructors and most over 60. Also worried about inconsistencies in delivery and moderation of the courses.
    ebf likes this.

Great, so instead of 140 firearms instructors there are now 0. Instead of perceived inconsistencies in delivery and moderation of the courses, there is now a consistent non-delivery of courses. It will be interesting to see what happens from here.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Great, so instead of 140 firearms instructors there are now 0......
    Again, that is yet to be confirmed.

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by StrikerNZ View Post
    To even think they can replace the work of 500 competent and trained volunteers with 5 (full) or 45 (part-time) paid contractors is just ridiculous.
    How often did the MSC volunteer instructors undergo continuing training or refreshers ?

To what standard was their competency as instructors and adherence to content assessed ?

I've had both good (bushcraft & river safety) and bad (firearms) experiences with MSC courses....
    Dougie likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by AzumitH View Post
    So potentially a new hurdle for those looking to get their firearms license?
    yes definatly, there is currently 500 ish members delivering in 148 locations, that will be narrowed down to 40 in 45 locations, part time.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    Don't think firearms have been affected.
    heres one senario, the southland district will have 1 part time paid staff member delivering all licences, if he or she decided that they dont like guns, then no one in southland can go anyware else to do the test.
    how would that affect firearms?

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    I read somewhere that police are now working with ex MSC instructors to deliver the FAL courses, I think they have given up on MSC too (but this was on the interwebby so could just be bollocks too)
    the members quit msc to deliver indepentantly, msc have made it clear that they WILL be taking the contract and there will be NO independant contractors.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    So you're saying that it's all done and dusted when there are still eight "workshops" yet to be held? They want our input on the three modules they are presenting, one only is for 5 full time paid employees to deliver, one for 40 part time and one for fifteen part time and 72 volunteers.
    yep, the head had a predetermined outcome, the roadshow is a box ticking exercise to cover the consultation process.
    msc will be going ahead with option a. 40 part time staff in 45 locations.
    the head of the msc dose not hold a FAL
    he has no interest in firearms, he is a failed school teacher.
    he would not answer even the most basic questions like cost recovery for what was a free service.
    this is a hatchet job and its comming from the top.
    outdoorlad likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    I hadn't realised it was the firearms instructors they were getting rid of, I thought you guys were "safe". Can't see how they are going to keep the same level of service. Rural people are probably going to have to travel a long way or wait a long time to be able to go on a course.
    Backdoor firearms control. You have to go on a course to get your firearms licence, sorry the next course in your area is 2020.
    bingo!