Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By rs200nz
  • 2 Post By rs200nz
  • 1 Post By Kscott

Thread: Network Security Camera Setup

Network Security Camera Setup

Hi all,

As more and more stories hit the interwebs about peoples guns getting stolen I thought I would do everyone on here a favour and recommend a decent quality but very affordable camera system to protect their prized possessions. We recently invested in a HIKVISION system from China which is a full CCTV system including it's own recording box with remote etc. The cameras are Power over Ethernet "POE" which are extremely easy to mount and cable as it only requires a network cable from the main unit to the camera. This "one" cable powers and delivers Full HD Camera Footage to the main unit from each camera. The unit we have purchased is a 16 channel unit and comes initially with 4 POE cameras. This is a great kit as the main unit can support a total of 8 POE Cameras and 8 non POE Cameras meaning you can continue to scale this unit upwards if required. I wouldn't envisage people wanting more than 8 cameras in a standard house unless it's a big one. A good point to note is that the unit inc HDD uses a total of 25watts of power. That is an extremely affordable way to record video without having a full computer running.

The main unit was fitted with a 4TB Surveillance grade HDD to help store all of the full HD video. A spool of CAT5E network cable purchased to run to the cameras which are configured to record full continuous video motion detection. The quality of these cameras is amazing. They all have Sony Cmos sensors that provide amazing quality and excellent light. The cameras all have 30m IR projection so you can see in pitch black rooms. We have done a lot of research affordable systems and this one had the best reviews across the internet. The brand HIKVISION is actually one of the bigger players in the CCTV market. Remember most things come from China and usually come from the same factory!

This system is to help people who want extra security in their house. Yes you can purchase $5,000 plus systems but I don't really see the point when you can get a system this good imported into NZ for $1100NZD ($1500NZD total for system with HDD and cable sourced locally). This solution offers quality while also staying affordable. It has an intuitive main menu where you can select calendar days and play recorded data. Any one can drive it. I'll even come around and help set it up if needed! I run on rum.... The system also has the ability to email, or trigger outputs such as triggering home alarms, lights etc. You can also get the security app to view recorded media on your smartphone.

Aliexpress.com is the best place to buy the camera system we have purchased. They offer free shipping but I recommend you pay the extra $50 for express shipping. It gets to NZ in a matter of days and is track n trace. The guy is really helpful and has great after sale service. Package Sale CCTV KIT Hikvision NVR DS 7616NI SE/P + Hikvision 3MP IP camera DS 2CD2032 I 4pcs HIKVISIN KIT Free shipping-in CCTV DVRs from Home Improvement on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

PB tech has the 4tb Surveillance edition HDD's available for an excellent price. Can purchase online and have it shipped.
    PB Tech - HDDWD44000 : WD 4TB Purple Surveillance Edition 64MB SATA3 HDD , 24x7 Reliability ,Built for personal, home office or small business surveillance systems using up to 32 cameras. AllFrame TM Technology , 3 Years warranty

PB tech also has the reels of CAT5e cable (The cable needed to connect cameras to the main unit) You could just pay a sparky to do the cabling but I like to do things on my own You would need to get some of the plastic ends to terminate onto the cable also. PB tech sells these also
    PB Tech - ITPUTP501-S : DYNAMIX 305M Cat5E Blue SOLID UTP Cable Roll. 350MHz, 24 AWGx4P, PVC Jacket. Supplied in Pull Box.

Happy to answer any questions on above if people need help. Hope that is answer some of you need to get extra security for you and your family!

Cheers,
    Brad
    outdoorlad, Yukon, Happy and 1 others like this.

And if the thieving scum use balaclavas and gloves, cameras are a waste of time...I would rather spend the money on preventative security.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

I'd rather see who was in my house and what they did while they were inside it. Also with a camera pointing out onto the driveway there is a good chance you will get a shot of their car. This is for people who want some sort of extra protection in their house while they are at work or away. It's not going to suit the requirements of every person on here.
    Kscott and Gerbs like this.

Cameras do not give protection. The smarter crims are very savvy to cameras...they no longer drive up the driveway...they wear clothing to disguise themselves...they carry devices to detect camera switch on points...they don't give a fuck as they know how long it takes to get security personal to your home...as for the police, that can be a five day wait.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

+1 for CCTV cameras, good idea IMO. It supplements good home security rather than replacing it.
    rs200nz likes this.

Thanks for the info. Really useful to know what available.

Best to keep them out in the first place, but determined thieves will find a way.

I reckon a good alarm with a loud high pitch shrill, a really deep sub-woofer rumble, and high power strobes would give the perfect get-the-fuck-out message.

Hikvision make good gear if its genuine atlas gentech retail it here if people want nz support . You can also set them up with sd cards and browse them instead of having a nvr . Easiest way to setup remote viewing is to get your service provider to assign you a static ip address ( it costs) and setup the correct port forwarding or you can do it with one of the ddns websites for free as others have said only really works well in conjuction with another system such as a alarm you can also get cameras that are 3g and will send you still images on motion detect

Electronic and physical security compliment each other
    For maximum security go steel, alarms and CCTV

Quote Originally Posted by jakesae101 View Post
    Hikvision make good gear if its genuine atlas gentech retail it here if people want nz support . You can also set them up with sd cards and browse them instead of having a nvr . Easiest way to setup remote viewing is to get your service provider to assign you a static ip address ( it costs) and setup the correct port forwarding or you can do it with one of the ddns websites for free as others have said only really works well in conjuction with another system such as a alarm you can also get cameras that are 3g and will send you still images on motion detect
    I think Atlas Gentech quoted 3k + for the same setup here is Nuu Zulland