Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree285Likes

Thread: New gun security laws

She did not take the regio for the cop?

Getting back on track, I am about to move house and checked out the new security regs for cabinets and safes it says for wooden floors should be bolted through a steel plate but does not give the thickness of said plate
    anybody know what it should be no point in asking Mr plod most of them have no idea even those that should, be interested in what people have had passed do not want to waste money on thicker than I need to do the job.
    Last edited by shooternz; 16-08-2016 at 04:21 PM. Reason: bad spelling

A cabinet should be bolted to a minimum of two surfaces, one of which shall be the floor. Bolt shafts shall be a minimum of 10 mm in diameter and when bolted into concrete, expanding or chemical setting bolts may be used. Where the cabinet is bolted to a wooden floor it shall be through bolted to a steel plate which exceeds the floor area of the cabinet and is retained on at least two floor joists. All nuts must be on the inside of the cabinet, and bolts welded or burred to resist removal. It is recommended that the cabinet or box be bolted in a confined space, such as a wardrobe or cupboard.
    http://www.police.govt.nz/sites/defa...nts-pol67n.pdf

Firearms forms and guides | New Zealand Police

Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    Getting back on track, I am about to move house and checked out the new security regs for cabinets and safes it says for wooden floors should be bolted through a steel plate but does not give the thickness of said plate
    anybody know what it should be no point in asking Mr plod most of them have no idea even those that should, be interested in what people have had passed do not want to waste money on thicker than I need to do the job.
    I haven't had my wood-floor installation certified yet, but I have assumed the minimum plate thickness would be 6mm for mild steel. I've gone with 8mm checker-plate, as that's what I was able to score for free. Using 1/2" threaded rod for the bolts because again, free.
    Tommy likes this.

Yes I have read the specs on that, and there is no plate thickness mentioned.

That's what I thought with the plate bolted to the floor joists the only way to get it out is with a chainsaw and I have 3 safes with not enough room between them to fit a chainsaw so I will go with the 3mm our vetting officer and AO are both pretty reasonable people,

Just filled my renewal form out. It's interesting to see that the police are using drivers licence numbers as i d for all concerned.
    I believe this is illegal but who is going to argue if he wants to keep hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Just filled my renewal form out. It's interesting to see that the police are using drivers licence numbers as i d for all concerned.
    I believe this is illegal but who is going to argue if he wants to keep hunting.
    They simply have presumed that because it is on the form they have to fill it out. But that is not the case. The drivers license details are there for the purchase of Airguns where they buyer does not need a FA license, but has to be over 18. This way the cops use the same form and simply put a Driver license down as proof of age. Apparently this is too simple.

Question has to be asked...why would a DL make any difference? You dont have to have a DL to buy a car so why would you want one to buy a rifle? Could be handy if you are buying a LAV or a Tank though.....

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    They simply have presumed that because it is on the form they have to fill it out. But that is not the case. The drivers license details are there for the purchase of Airguns where they buyer does not need a FA license, but has to be over 18. This way the cops use the same form and simply put a Driver license down as proof of age. Apparently this is too simple.

Question has to be asked...why would a DL make any difference? You dont have to have a DL to buy a car so why would you want one to buy a rifle? Could be handy if you are buying a LAV or a Tank though.....
    Pretty sure I made a post about this exact scenario. Copper tried to tell me if I was using this form I had to fill it all in. Told him to send it to the AO and she can talk to me about it if she so wishes.
    Never heard from her, but it took over a week for it to get sent to the dealer.

I tried to explain it to one the other day, to no avail.

Even showed the AO where it says "Firearms Licence OR Drivers Licence (as the case may require )" on the back of THEIR form. Unfortunately, I guess reading comprehension isn't a requirement for the job.

I have a deep hatred for the Police. They have this history of doing whatever they feel like. We cannot rely on police to protect us from the criminals. We ought to get firearms safety training and own a gun for the safety of our family.
    Get firearms safety training course only from any NRA certified training school.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerjacky View Post
    I have a deep hatred for the Police. They have this history of doing whatever they feel like. We cannot rely on police to protect us from the criminals. We ought to get firearms safety training and own a gun for the safety of our family.
    You are a complete idiot and I really hope you stay in India or Boston, or wherever you are, and never come to New Zealand.
    Brian, 308, kotuku and 2 others like this.

Then go to the US because your ideal society awaits you

Not here, sunshine
    mucko, mikee and 6x47 like this.

We have firearms safety training already and yet hunters shoot each other. Putting firearms in the hands of angry people in a tense situation is fucking stupid.

Where abouts do you live anyway ?

Probably just trolling
    199p likes this.