Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Terminator


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 194
Like Tree285Likes

Thread: New gun security laws

  1. #76
    Member Steve123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    What used to be Franklin
    Posts
    747
    Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    i have a my A cat safe made of 1.5mm folded steel. recessed door, full length internal hinge, electronic combo lock with 2 20mm sliding bolts. bolted down to wall and floor.
    its in an alarmed house with a dogo cross brit bully in the back yard. i consider this beyond what should be required for any A cat firearm including ar15's
    remember that if we give the cops an inch they will take a mile, ar15's today and it will be 10/22's tomorrow
    They can do a buy back on my 10/22 for the right price, over priced pieces of crap that they are

  2. #77
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    1,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
    They can do a buy back on my 10/22 for the right price, over priced pieces of crap that they are
    some are crap shooters, other are great. i use one on rabbits all the time.
    i once spent near on $1800 (inc scope) building one up and it was a pure tack driver!!
    unfortunately had to sell all the guns when we split up as i needed the cash. all on target for a full safe now though
    Steve123 and Fawls like this.

  3. #78
    Member Savage1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,133
    Quote Originally Posted by Jexla View Post
    You're thick, I have finally found my signature. I won't bother arguing with you.
    So,

    I'll assume your logic is that a C cat can put down a higher rate of fire.

    A cat rifles, can only hold 7 rounds unless .22lr. An E is unlimited. Sure you can change magazines in under 5 seconds but that is still a lot of mag changes, four to get 30 rounds out so at least 10 seconds, especially fumbling small 7 round magazines. So the rate of fire is far far higher out of an E cat than an A cat rifle and would take less skill to lay that fire down accurately.

    Full auto is very hard to control, so only when you have a crush of people within 25m will it actually be any more deadly, even then it'd be questionable. I'd rather take on an idiot with a full auto than an idiot with an E cat.

    E cats are also easier to conceal as you can get folding and telescopic stocks which reduce the length to below 762mm. They can also chuck a bayonet on the front. You can even get an E cat MP5 with only a slightly longer barrel than standard.

    There's a reason why most Police and Army rifles have almost all the same features as an E-cat rifle.

    To say an E-cat is no more deadly than an A cat is wrong in my opinion, sure it's easy enough to buy large capacity magazines and clip onto an A cat but that's another matter, and it also makes them E cat.

    So keep your signature up as long as you want, it just shows a level of arrogance and immaturity.

    I'm actually disappointed in myself that I bothered to reply.
    stumpy likes this.

  4. #79
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    1,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    So,

    I'll assume your logic is that a C cat can put down a higher rate of fire.

    A cat rifles, can only hold 7 rounds unless .22lr. An E is unlimited. Sure you can change magazines in under 5 seconds but that is still a lot of mag changes, four to get 30 rounds out so at least 10 seconds, especially fumbling small 7 round magazines. So the rate of fire is far far higher out of an E cat than an A cat rifle and would take less skill to lay that fire down accurately.

    Full auto is very hard to control, so only when you have a crush of people within 25m will it actually be any more deadly, even then it'd be questionable. I'd rather take on an idiot with a full auto than an idiot with an E cat.

    E cats are also easier to conceal as you can get folding and telescopic stocks which reduce the length to below 762mm. They can also chuck a bayonet on the front. You can even get an E cat MP5 with only a slightly longer barrel than standard.

    There's a reason why most Police and Army rifles have almost all the same features as an E-cat rifle.

    To say an E-cat is no more deadly than an A cat is wrong in my opinion, sure it's easy enough to buy large capacity magazines and clip onto an A cat but that's another matter, and it also makes them E cat.

    So keep your signature up as long as you want, it just shows a level of arrogance and immaturity.

    I'm actually disappointed in myself that I bothered to reply.
    i think you mean rimfire not just 22lr.
    17hmr, 22 mag etc are still allowed 15 in the mag
    Steve123 likes this.

  5. #80
    Member Steve123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    What used to be Franklin
    Posts
    747
    Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    some are crap shooters, other are great. i use one on rabbits all the time.
    i once spent near on $1800 (inc scope) building one up and it was a pure tack driver!!
    unfortunately had to sell all the guns when we split up as i needed the cash. all on target for a full safe now though
    A mate had a good fully suppressed one years back but my JW bolt out shoots my standard one. I can't see the point spending heaps on a 22. It's average but nothing spectacular

    Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk

  6. #81
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    1,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
    A mate had a good fully suppressed one years back but my JW bolt out shoots my standard one. I can't see the point spending heaps on a 22. It's average but nothing spectacular

    Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk
    depends on what your passion is, i like 100m head shots with a 22lr. guess its my thing and i like doing it.
    Steve123 likes this.

  7. #82
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    i think you mean rimfire not just 22lr.
    17hmr, 22 mag etc are still allowed 15 in the mag
    .17 HMR or .17 HM2 are restricted to seven rounds in a semi-auto for A-cat.

    15 rounds is for .22 inch rimfire, which would include short, long, long rifle or magnums.

    Read section 2 of the Arms Act.

  8. #83
    Member Beetroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Morrinsville
    Posts
    919
    Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    remember that if we give the cops an inch they will take a mile, ar15's today and it will be 10/22's tomorrow
    Unfortunately this is true and is what stops sensible discussions and laws being created.
    We like too shake our head at Americans and their gun lobby, but all you need to look at is Australia and the UKs gun laws too see this is exactly how it happens.
    Sasquatch, Jexla and Fawls like this.

  9. #84
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    1,279
    Quote Originally Posted by systolic View Post
    .17 HMR or .17 HM2 are restricted to seven rounds in a semi-auto for A-cat.

    15 rounds is for .22 inch rimfire, which would include short, long, long rifle or magnums.

    Read section 2 of the Arms Act.
    law applies to rimfire regardless of caliber. its ok to buy a 22 mag etc with a 10 shot mag

  10. #85
    Member Jexla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Napier
    Posts
    688
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    A cat rifles, can only hold 7 rounds unless .22lr. An E is unlimited.
    You heard it here first folks, no A cat rifle can hold more than 7 rounds.
    Better hand in your Troy pump actions to Savage1 directly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    E cats are also easier to conceal as you can get folding and telescopic stocks which reduce the length to below 762mm.
    Chop chop chop, swap swap swap, they simply don't give a fuck about e cat rules.

    Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    They can also chuck a bayonet on the front.
    A criminal doesn't care, he'll do it anyway, the firearm is stolen anyway and he's trying to kill people, why would he care?
    Also you have a bigger problem to worry about than a pointy thing at the end of the gun.

    Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    You can even get an E cat MP5 with only a slightly longer barrel than standard.
    Guess what that means? You could even make an A cat one too!

    Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    To say an E-cat is no more deadly than an A cat is wrong in my opinion, sure it's easy enough to buy large capacity magazines and clip onto an A cat but that's another matter, and it also makes them E cat.
    Well that sure would stop a criminal using a stolen A cat AR, he'd never dare to use a 30 round mag in it and risk being done for having an E cat gun right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    So keep your signature up as long as you want, it just shows a level of arrogance and immaturity.
    Didn't need your permission (Believe it or not).


    Think you overall missed the boat here Savage.
    Stealing an A cat AR vs an E cat AR makes not a single drop of difference, both can fit normal capacity magazines. Both can have pistol grips. Both can even be converted to full auto.
    All of those are facts.

    EDIT:
    P.S Shout out to those PMing me.

  11. #86
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Tasman
    Posts
    630
    Man, lose the signature.
    You're coming across like an ass.
    Beaker and Tommy like this.

  12. #87
    Member GravelBen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Gorrre
    Posts
    2,410
    Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    law applies to rimfire regardless of caliber. its ok to buy a 22 mag etc with a 10 shot mag
    @systolic is right that the law (presumably written before .17hmr and .17hm2 existed) specifically refers to 'a magazine designed to hold 0.22-inch rimfire cartridges'. I guess you could argue that a .17hmr magazine is 'designed to hold 0.22-inch rimfire cartridges' though as manufacturers generally use the same magazine for both. Would be interesting to see that one tested in court!

    Only applies to semi-autos though of course, bolt/lever/straight pull/pump etc can take as many rounds as you like.

  13. #88
    Member Savage1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,133
    Quote Originally Posted by Jexla View Post
    You heard it here first folks, no A cat rifle can hold more than 7 rounds.
    Better hand in your Troy pump actions to Savage1 directly.



    Chop chop chop, swap swap swap, they simply don't give a fuck about e cat rules.



    A criminal doesn't care, he'll do it anyway, the firearm is stolen anyway and he's trying to kill people, why would he care?
    Also you have a bigger problem to worry about than a pointy thing at the end of the gun.



    Guess what that means? You could even make an A cat one too!



    Well that sure would stop a criminal using a stolen A cat AR, he'd never dare to use a 30 round mag in it and risk being done for having an E cat gun right?



    Didn't need your permission (Believe it or not).


    Think you overall missed the boat here Savage.
    Stealing an A cat AR vs an E cat AR makes not a single drop of difference, both can fit normal capacity magazines. Both can have pistol grips. Both can even be converted to full auto.
    All of those are facts.

    EDIT:
    P.S Shout out to those PMing me.
    See now you're just moving the goal posts to cover your argument. Now you're talking about guns being modified, essentially making them a different category. As I was talking about rates of fire I was obviously talking about semi autos.

    Good luck getting an mp5 on a cat considering it has a freestanding pistol grip and telescopic stock.

    So your logic is that a cat is just as deadly as e cat because it can be modified to e cat making it an e cat, therefore an a cat isn't as deadly as an e cat. Makes perfect sense. You also admit that they can be converted to c cat, therefore making c cat no more deadly than a cat by your logic, however you said that c is more deadly than a cat. Since they can be chopped then they're all as deadly as a pistol?

    You're not the only one that gets PMs.

  14. #89
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Stewart island / canterbury
    Posts
    3,811
    @Savage1 @Jexla if a rifle is pointed at you, do you think you will be worried about if its got a big mag or a telescoping stock, it only takes one bullet in the right place. theives will do as they wish with no regard to the law so this debate is moot.
    Sasquatch, Jexla and 7x64 like this.

  15. #90
    Member stumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Delisle SK Canada
    Posts
    1,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Moutere View Post
    Man, lose the signature.
    You're coming across like an ass.
    you have come across enough times in most of your posts your feelings on police, @Jexla ... and i agree with moutere , lose the sig .... and for all the guys pming you to do what ? give their support ... do it pubicly ... i support @Savage1 and pretty much everything he says .... you ... not so much .
    Savage1 likes this.
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. NZ firearm laws comparable to US firearm laws
    By Krameranzac in forum Off topic
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 19-12-2015, 06:57 AM
  2. Changes to Firearm Laws!
    By Maca49 in forum Off topic
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 22-05-2015, 09:06 AM
  3. Our gun laws
    By Dannz in forum Firearm Safety
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 16-01-2015, 09:56 PM
  4. New Gun laws
    By RichieRich in forum Hunting
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-01-2013, 11:04 AM
  5. New laws in Australia
    By Bavarian_Hunter in forum Hunting Dogs
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 27-11-2012, 07:53 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!