Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree285Likes

Thread: New gun security laws

Or fly a plane into a building
    Savage1 and res like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post

A cat rifles, can only hold 7 rounds unless .22lr. An E is unlimited. Sure you can change magazines in under 5 seconds...
    Semi A-cat rifles can only hold 7 rounds, non semi is unlimited too. I find your post suggesting which FAL holder would be more deadly in some sort of shootout with police amusing.

Reality is, they are criminals and they don't care what features the firearm has. That's why they are criminals.

I think it's sad you two are caught up in a ruckus on this forum, in some ways I agree with both of you. I can see why @Jexla has his view on police considering top level brass is upto some serious ultra vires shit currently.

However this has nothing to do with you @Savage1 or any other law enforcement personnel on this site.
    199p, tetawa, Beaker and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post

Reality is, they are criminals and they don't care what features the firearm has. That's why they are criminals.
    Best statement of the thread yet.

If someone can explain to me how restricting the rights and freedoms of law abiding has a direct effect on criminal activities then I would love to hear it.
    Truth is the "law abiding" are easy targets and since they are easily found its easier to hound them on "technicalities"
    veitnamcam, tetawa, blake and 5 others like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    ultra vires
    Everytime someone says that, God kills a puppy.

Because it's the go-to, copy 'n paste, phrase
    Steve123 likes this.

Emotions run high on our rights and responsibilities, we should be able to enjoy our sport without worrying about somebody pinching our hard earned toys. Unfortunately our hobby's tools are more appealing to criminals than a skier's.

I would feel shithouse if mine got pinched even tho they can be replaced be insurance.

Tighter security measures wouldn't worry me too much ( a few grand in a 800 dollar safe spot or a few grand in a glorified cupboard)

Let's not argue the finer points of the alphabet AbCdeF. Geee why can't we all just agree.

While some people have issue with the police, I have always been polite even when in the wrong and it has gone fine. No matter what walk of life you will always strike assholes.

If you bump into more than 2 assholes a day.... Maybe your the asshole
    kiwijames, 308, Beaker and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
    Everytime someone says that, God kills a puppy.

Because it's the go-to, copy 'n paste, phrase
    or even worse justin bieber releases a new single
    Kscott likes this.

Police inspector says gun and knife crime has stayed steady or declined. Maybe I'm not just making it up with the statistics available to me?

"Glossop said gun and knife crime had remained steady or declined across most districts, which was an encouraging trend."

The surprising items wielded as weapons in New Zealand | Stuff.co.nz
    GravelBen likes this.

WE MUST CHANGE THINGS TO MAKE OUR LIVES HARDER TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM THAT WE'RE TERRIFIED OF THAT oh it doesn't actually exist
    kiwijames, GravelBen and Jexla like this.

Overall statistics showed firearms made up about 10 per cent of weapons offences, while sharp instruments; knives, glass bottles etc. accounted for 20 per cent.

Glossop said gun and knife crime had remained steady or declined across most districts, which was an encouraging trend.

But he said he was concerned about people carrying around weapons or keeping them in their car for protection - which could be an offence without a lawful excuse.

The danger, he said, was the risk of weapon escalation.

"If the baddies start thinking everybody's armed with something then they'll carry a bigger weapon and before you know it we're talking about firearms and before you know it we're going to hell in a handbasket.

"Too many people think it's OK to keep possession of something that they'll carry with them to protect themselves. If everybody starts doing that then we may as well move to America."
    Nailed it. Too many people keep possession of something that they carry to 'protect' themselves, and that's where Police should be directing their actions. Perhaps if more strident measures were policed, a South Auckland 2 year old wouldn't have been killed by a shotgun kept under the bed. How the shotgun got there and why should be a top priority.

sawn off shotgun owned by a non licensed owner at that. this is what the cops should make the focus of any gun laws not the law abiding

As per the original post for this thread, was it security ? And just how said firearm ended up in the wrong hands. Not every FAL holder is law abiding

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
    Not every FAL holder is law abiding
    Here's a few from a couple of minutes googling:

John Mowatt
    The Bedroom Murders: 29 shots, 3 people dead. Why? - National - NZ Herald News

Peter Edwards
    Man jailed for selling guns to gang | Radio New Zealand News

Dale Jenner
    Gun stash on show - news - waikato-times | Stuff.co.nz

John Mabey
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10593826

Re-railing this thread

- Has there been anything in the media on this? Not that I've seen and those muck raking turd-farmers are always onto this crap like it's 1/10th of the threat they portray it to be.

Ps "turd-farmer" is my fav insult for the week. Funny AF imo

Latest info from Firearms Owners United is that there are no approved BCE category safes and that police will have to approve a certain make and model for compliance. It sounds like the issue may stem from dodgy Chinese manufacturers, who have sent compliant samples and then cut lots of corners come production time.
    stumpy likes this.

So if you are the lucky owner of a now non complyant jobbie what are your options. It was approved when you bought it.