Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: no license needed

whoop , guess i was well wrong

43B Restriction on sales of ammunition

(1)

Every person commits an offence and is liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding $1,000 who sells or supplies ammunition for any firearm or restricted weapon to a person who is not—

(a)
    the holder of a firearms licence; or

(b)
    a licensed dealer.

(2)

In any prosecution for an offence against subsection (1) in which it is proved that the defendant sold or supplied ammunition for a firearm or restricted weapon to any person, the burden of proving that that person was—

(a)

(b)
    a licensed dealer,—

shall lie on the defendant.

(3)

It is a good defence to a prosecution for an offence against subsection (1) if the defendant proves—

(a)
    that the ammunition was supplied to a person for use under the immediate supervision of the holder of a firearms licence; and

(b)
    that at all times while the person to whom the ammunition was supplied was in possession of the ammunition, that person was under the immediate supervision of the holder of a firearms licence.

(4)

A defendant may, in the case of a prosecution for an offence against subsection (1), discharge the burden of proof placed on the defendant by subsection (2) by proving that the defendant took reasonable steps to ascertain whether the person to whom the ammunition was sold or supplied was—

(a)

(b)
    a licensed dealer.

(5)

Nothing in this section applies in relation to any ammunition for a firearm to which paragraph (a) or paragraph (b) or
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

That section is only regarding the sale and purchase of ammunition. Possession is covered by section 45 and 51 of the Arms Act 1983.

Sec51 is specific in regards to being in a public place and Sec45 covers any place. FAL isn't essential(eg courier drivers etc) but it can be hard to prove a lawful purpose without one.

Clear as mud?

[QUOTE=Savage1;487196]I've quite recently dealt with a guy that was making pistols for gang members, he was either modifying blank firing pistols or making completely new ones, some were disguised as pens that fired .22LR and some of the modifed blank firing pistols were done superbly well, from what I could tell he'd made barrel sleves and manufactured the critical components. He was a toolmaker by trade and had become addicted to meth, he was a mongrel to begin with anyway and very dangerous.

That's just one recent incident, I come across a lot of criminals in possession of firearms and a lot of home made ones, the dumbest most low level bottom feeders still have access to firearms.

The gangs recruit or lean on people with very good knowledge of firearms to assemble and manufacture them, and have friends with FALs to get them ammo, never heard of crims with a reloading setup but it's not unlikely. They don't go through ammo like the average shooter, most of them would have never fired their weapons so need very little ammo.

Ammo access isn't the problem, I think the best change that could be made would be to make E-cat level security the standard for A-cat. And please people, don't store your f%$king safe keys in another smaller less sturdy safe beside the main safe, or anywhere remotely obvious for that matter.

Wow I went off on a tangent there, I've completely forgotten what I was originally talking about.

All of this is my opinion and my opinion alone.[/QUOTEits alright cutting precision posts is bloody stressful
    stumpy likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmynostars View Post
    Working this concept through why don't you need a fal for guyfawks?
    probably be a good idea considering how many people hurt themselves, wait until you have to get powergel or ampho, that is another layer of licensing

you don't need a licence to buy a car,
    you don't need a licence to buy potassium permanganate and glycerine (and various other 'garden supplies')

you're only buying components not ammunition.
    should you have to get a licence to buy black powder?
    what about a press, might as well lump brass in to that.
    then there's the matter of lead and moulds. are you buying for sinkers or projectiles? better safe than sorry though....

Be careful what you wish for, it might come true.
    veitnamcam and PERRISCICABA like this.

Quote Originally Posted by nseagoon View Post
    you don't need a licence to buy a car,
    you don't need a licence to buy potassium permanganate and glycerine (and various other 'garden supplies')

you're only buying components not ammunition.
    should you have to get a licence to buy black powder?
    what about a press, might as well lump brass in to that.
    then there's the matter of lead and moulds. are you buying for sinkers or projectiles? better safe than sorry though....

Be careful what you wish for, it might come true.
    fair point but i would have thought primers were the important part!

Please don't open this can of worms. Being able to craft my own ammo is one of the few freedoms I enjoy without telling big brother
    zimmer, res, PERRISCICABA and 3 others like this.

For Christ's sake, don't give any more encouragement to the petty bureaucrats that infest our country! The fact that there is no current problem with the purchasing regime for reloading components, or the misuse therof, means that things should continue as they are. We are inundated with bullshit regulations that serve no purpose other than to give a perception of 'control' to mindless Government departments, and line a few pockets in the process. When I was a teenager I could purchase gelignite, detonators, and safety fuse (for lawful use) just by signing the explosives register, get a job as a forklift driver without a specific ticket to drive one, same as a chainsaw operator, or any one of many jobs. We are being taken over by meddling fuckwits who promote such crap in order to make their purile and insignificant little lives seem useful. Not one of these bureaucratic changes has had any effect on industrial accidents, misuse of explosives, etc, but has made life more difficult and expensive for those who wish to use such items. I am not supporting the excesses of Pol Pot but he had a few good ideas!
    zimmer, kotuku, northdude and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    well at $70 plus a box of 20 it wont take long to get to 5grand!