Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Opening bolt before handling rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    About 1963 for a couple of years I worked for Tisdall's Sports (PNth) after school.

Someone came in and slipped a Ramset blank into a .22 and left it cocked, and of course at some stage later a customer pulled the trigger. Fortunately it was still in the (public access) rack but it left a burn scald up the green wall paint from the muzzle. It could have easily been a live round, And it could have easily been pointed at someone.
    And it could happen at any time nowadays too. Sports shops need to remember this.

Yup. Open the breach every time you are passed or pick up a firearm.
    Ha ha nothing like a purple charge to get peoples' attention.

Went to a gun and hunting expo many years ago where an army instructor was demonstrating the 303's "safety" features.
    He was up on the stage a bit away from the audience (mostly local NZDA members a lot of whom still used 30s back then).
    After some handling and talking he closed the bolt and then proceeded to wack the butt down on the stage several times with the intention that he could make the thing "go off"
    What he hadn't bothered to tell the audience was that he had slipped in a blank round.
    Well, instead of just a click the bloody thing went off big time and the sound was extremely load in the small auditorium we were in.
    I still clearly remember that demo.
    Slightly OT for this thread but still a noteworthy lesson.
    Pengy and Danny like this.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post

Went to a gun and hunting expo many years ago where an army instructor was demonstrating the 303's "safety" features.
    He was up on the stage a bit away from the audience (mostly local NZDA members a lot of whom still used 30s back then).
    After some handling and talking he closed the bolt and then proceeded to wack the butt down on the stage several times with the intention that he could make the thing "go off"
    What he hadn't bothered to tell the audience was that he had slipped in a blank round.
    Well, instead of just a click the bloody thing went off big time and the sound was extremely load in the small auditorium we were in.
    Imagine the impact if a demo like that was used during FAL test.
    It would sure focus the mind
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Many moons ago in the army at Burnham, they were handing out magazines for a parade or something, and the guy next to me had a live round in his one... lucky bugger I thought...
    No doubt a few red faced armourers that day!... and possibly one red arsed one...

northdude
    Open or closed action the first thing a lot of people do when handed a firearm is pull the trigger watch next time you hand one to someone

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    Open or closed action the first thing a lot of people do when handed a firearm is pull the trigger watch next time you hand one to someone
    Who do you hang out with? Monkeys? Smack them

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Priceless
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

northdude
    Next time your in a gun shop watch when a customer has a look at a gun

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    @Gibo

Gibo, northdude, 300CALMAN and 1 others like this.

always when passing a gun to someone i check breech is and mag is empty break gun if its a double. i expect the same if passed to me or i dont take it.

P38
    Here's a good reason to check that the firearm is unloaded before accepting it from anyone.

VIDEO: Former GPD Officer Files Lawsuit After Gunstore Incident

There has also been numerous examples in the states where malicious people have deliberately put a live round into a firearm on display at gun shows which has later been discharged by someone else.

Cheers
    Pete

northdude
    Monkeys would probably have more intelligence than half the humans out there as well

Caretaker

Opening bolt before handling rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    Monkeys would probably have more intelligence than half the humans out there as well

Even tie i think

If in doubt watch this

Chimp catches Toad

http://youtu.be/qVE60zwXx1k
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Even tie i think

If in doubt watch this

Chimp catches Toad

http://youtu.be/qVE60zwXx1k
    poor Toad!

It's because of people like Micky Duck that the Hon. Peter Dunne wants to initiate yet another Firearms Safety Review in NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post

Had the same thing done to us back in 1988 in school lot of boarded looking farming sons did not look so board once the semi auto went off after repeatedly raking the slide. Was a centre fire too. Never forgotten that lesson.