Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Point it right between my eyes - WTF?

Point it right between my eyes - WTF?

I don't want to name names as I'm a bit of a gunshop whore - I get around them all so anyway, I was looking around at shotguns not so long ago and I had a hold of a nice looking shotgun and the guy in the gunshop asked me to point it at him "Right between the eyes". The shop was quite busy and it just went against the grain fullstop. I told him I couldn't do it even though I knew it was unloaded, it just felt wrong. He reckoned it was the only way he could tell if it fitted me. Is he for real or what?
    Anyway, I shouldered it one last time at about 45degrees away from him and next thing he shoots round in front of me and looks back up the barrel at me!! "It fits you perfect" he says.
    I handed the gun back and walked out - Fuck that, it's just wrong!!

Was he Russian ?
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

If the guns unloaded and he wants you too so he can check the fit, then fair enough. If that's how you check the fit or not is another question.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Idk if its the right of wrong way to see how the gun fits anybody but no fucking way would I do it.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Maybe you should go back and point out that it is an offence to point a gun at someone, loaded or not
    Dundee likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Yes that is how it is done, it's the norm all around the world.

Maybe not wise to do it in a busy gun shop but I have done it 100's of times at comps or in practice at the gun club. No one will even bat an eye lid
    R93 and Toby like this.

Id be Fuckin duckin behind the counter!

But yea can't comment on checking the fit but if that is a way there must be better safer ways?

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I honestly don't see why its bad, I get the whole don't point guns at people but its unloaded both people know that and its to benefit your shooting. You have been asked to do it, it's a whole other story if someone just waved a gun at your face.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Not really to be honest. With another person looking along the rib you can clearly see where the shooters pupil is in relation to the rib, high low west east. Bloody hard to get a good idea of where they are looking if you can't see it yourself when trying to coach etc

In the mai mai one morning...

"hey mate you recon this thing fits me properly?" swing onto head "thump!"as the mates butt smacks you in the temple.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Yip retards will be retards I suppose....

Not here to argue but facts are that is the best way to tell if a gun fits, unless you as the shooter no exactly what your sight picture needs to be, even then it is reassuring if someone you respect as a shooter confirms.

It is quite likely that the owner of the shop didn't really no what he was looking for and just said it fits perfectly however. Takes a fair bit of experience to work out what your looking for.

Next best way is to shut your eyes, mount the gun then open your eyes, if your in line it fits ok.

Or practice mounting in front of the mirror, done that countless times
    308 likes this.

see here

I wish I had known before I brought m Beretta, we struggle to get on with each other.
    Last edited by mikee; 21-09-2013 at 12:04 AM.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Thanks Perazzi, I never would've known WTF that was about without your explanation - perhaps if the guy in the shop had said as much to Herne that would have been a good idea too.

R93
    Common practice in the target world as PSC3 says.
    The only other way is by wasting heaps of ammo or lasers and surprisingly the old eye, is actually more accurate.
    Gun fit is not one that just feels good lol!
    You don't point it between someone's eyes, you point it at their master eye.
    Must be a lot of people running around with ill fitting guns if they have never seen this done properly before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

The biggest problem with Gunfit Voodoo is that to achieve perfection you must have first perfected your gun mount .
    Pre mounted clay games like Skeet and DTL allow the shooter to get the exact position and to repeat it every time .
    Shooting gun down like Sporting and in field Hunting situations doesn't allow any time , your gun movement and mount must be spot on every time .
    Even the Gunfit Voodoo Gurus will get you to shoot the gun at a pattern plate to confirm their adjustments .
    While many profess to know how to fit a gun to someone in reality there a very few who actually know what they are doing .

Ken
    R93 likes this.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA