Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: This question again

Sorry never got the answer to this what are they going to do with your serial numbers?
    Do they have a data base?

Joe Green clarified that a couple of years ago. DON'T give them your serial numbers, there is no requirement. But, keep your own records of all your serial numbers, take photos of each piece. Keep records in at least 2 different secure places. You are then covered for after theft and insurance claims. The more FA owners that "oblige" them the more it will become the unofficial norm.

Who knows whether they now have a database of just scraps of paper lying around. I don't wish to have my FAs become a shopping list by virtue of a hacked db or failed data security by whatever means. Maybe one of the FA owners who has given them access to their serial numbers can answer this question........

They do have a data base of collected serial numbers they say it is so you can keep them safe incase of a robbery, A few years ago there were 5 burglaries in the Wellington area where only selected firearms were
    taken as if they had a shopping list all were cat B and C firearms turns out a cop in the know sold the information, don't know if anyone got charged for it but does not instil confidence in the Police to keep our
    information secure, The less they know about what you have the better.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Regarding your last sentence, isn't that what they are employed to do, deal with firearm related issues? A lot of people nowdays expect to draw a wage and do as little as possible for it.
    I don't believe they work on a level playing field. The environment is such that if someone dares question them, they have the ablility to make it hard.
    Well you could be right about some people but be rest assured the AO for the South Waikato works hard, is very efficient and she is very fair.

She's not your wife is she?
    BRADS and 10-Ring like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Who knows whether they now have a database of just scraps of paper lying around. I don't wish to have my FAs become a shopping list by virtue of a hacked db or failed data security by whatever means. Maybe one of the FA owners who has given them access to their serial numbers can answer this question........
    It's easier to just follow you home from a gunshop tbh than hack into a database to see a firearm make and model listed, with serial number. Of course, B, C, E holders have had the requirement of listing serial numbers for a while, as well as keeping a copy of the permit to procure with the make, model and serial number of each firearm on said license.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    She's not your wife is she?
    Nope.
    Maca49 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
    It's easier to just follow you home from a gunshop tbh than hack into a database to see a firearm make and model listed, with serial number. Of course, B, C, E holders have had the requirement of listing serial numbers for a while, as well as keeping a copy of the permit to procure with the make, model and serial number of each firearm on said license.
    Agreed, or follow you home from the range. Or with minimal sleuthing, (in some cases) trace a Trademe listing, or even members of this forum. But the whole deal is about minimising risk and I do have direct control over giving out a list of my FA inventory as part of some nebulous requirement.
    Maca49 and Tommy like this.

I mostly trust the police, but missing glocks and the odd pound or two of meth going astray from evidence safes leaves me wanting to keep that info to myself thanks very much.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    I do have direct control over giving out a list of my FA inventory as part of some nebulous requirement.
    Each to their own, I just don't see the difference from buying from a shop, who records the details in a nice big book that sits in the shop, which can be accessed by the Police via a search warrant at any time. I can't know who in the shop has access to that book, what security measures are in place for data control and how up to date it is. But as an endorsed FAL holder, I already have my firearms logged and permitted with NZ Police, hence my perspective.

Yep, you got it, each to his own, the beauty of a forum with diverse views presented