Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree119Likes

Thread: Response to the Law and Order Select committee

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    100 lashes in public?
    Put in the stocks and pelted with rotten fruit by passers-by?
    TheChosenOne likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I have 2 steel safes one E cat rated one not.
    With my tools of choice either of them would be empty in under 2 minutes.
    I am not a safe cracker and do not have any superpowers. The skills and knowledge required are nothing that would not be learned in a prison workshop.

One has to be realistic about security. You can ONLY stop the opertunist thief.

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    And I already have all the tools they'd ever need on the premises.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I have 2 steel safes one E cat rated one not.
    With my tools of choice either of them would be empty in under 2 minutes.
    I am not a safe cracker and do not have any superpowers. The skills and knowledge required are nothing that would not be learned in a prison workshop.

One has to be realistic about security. You can ONLY stop the opertunist thief.

Absolutely correct. You're never going to stop a determined pro. Just as well most firearms thefts are of the opportunistic kind or at least they are in my district.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Jexla View Post
    Like I already said, we do not need more legislation. Legislation is not the answer to everything. Like you said yourself, the inspectors need easy to understand guidelines that make it clear that a shitty wooden box wouldn't be okay.

I will note that I have a friend who made a safe out of wood and some brick that goes on the wall behind a fire place and I have no doubt it would have been harder to get into than some A category safes sold commercially. (He replaced this as soon as he could afford to with an E category compliant safe even though he has no endorsements).

Therefore I don't think it's okay to just outright ban the use of wood itself.
    There seems to be about one decent wooden gun cabinet for about every forty or more crap ones. Therein lies the problem. I'm pretty sure that any law change made for A-Cat security re gun cabinets will require a construction of a minimum of 2mm mild steel. Regarding security gun racks nearly all I've come across offer good security against opportunistic thieves.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    So do I. But that all gets locked in another safe. It would really piss me off if they used my gear to break in to my safe.
    But a bit hard to do with a couple of welding plants/plasma cutter/grinders/saws/....
    veitnamcam likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    What do you need that for in IT? Serious hard drive rebuilds???
    It's a funny old world. I wanted to do Mechanical Engineering but through a bit of a blunder (I did way too well in exams) I ended up in the even harder to get into Electrical and Electronic Engineering. Part of that course was working in a mechanical workshop where I learned to weld (the offered to pay me to get my ticket) and operate all the machinery (mills, lathes, radial arm drill, shaper, ...) and they offered me an apprenticeship. I stuck to my degree but did buy a heavy duty welding plant and lathe.

Do you use firearms for your work?

Quote Originally Posted by madjon_ View Post
    I got the same,wonderful
    Me too not much effort put in by anybody