Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Safe place to store ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    I never said that Police could search your house because they feel like it.
    Well since that's literally what a random check involves...?

I opposed your statement because you said Police shouldn't have the power to do spot checks, I know what would happen with the number of drink drivers, unsafe vehicles etc. That no way implies that I endorse increased Police powers.
    that's cool but 1: it's not the context random checks were being discussed in and 2: breath testing drivers is different to searching vehicles/homes

My statements don't imply anything, you are making assumptions, I think Police powers are just about bang on.

I believe in civil rights, funnily enough it's a Police officers job to protect them. You'll find a criminal will be far more willing to breach your civil rights and without Police powers then what's to stop them.
    They're reasonable assumptions to make from what you've said

Good red herring. Police powers to search my home without good cause definitely prevent criminals from breaching my civil rights. After all, who would have any cause to worry but the guilty...... right?
    mucko likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by distant stalker View Post
    Good demo. Had always been curious about if a rifle round would build enough pressure when not held in a chamber.
    R.e the powder. I believe its more the insurers that dont like powder in the house. I just burmt half a pound on the back lawn
    Just sizzles. Less dangerous than more common accelerants like white spirits, meths etc

I wonder if having ammunition locked in a safe or container makes it more dangerous than lying around loose (ie not dangerous at all). Wonder if a fireproof safe would prevent heat from cooking off rounds/powder.

I grew up in Northern Ireland. I knew nothing other than random checks, and hey I treated it as "if you've got something to hide then you're going to hate these".

Anyway this topic is sooooooooooooo off now. Someone get it back on please.

A random check means just that, a random check, not a search of the house. Two very different things. Just as Police don't have powers to search the boot/glovebox/seat pockets in a vehicle to check the WOF is up to standard or a child is correctly restrained.

I assumed your comment to mean no spot checks full stop including traffic. My bad for assuming.

They're not good assumptions you've made as they have been shown to be incorrect.

So do you feel that your privacy of having to let a person into your home to confirm your firearm storage is up to standard is more important than the potential good of what random checks would achieve in keeping firearms out of the hands of children and criminals?

Personally I can't understand how somebody could be offended by a random check for firearm security, if a cop turned up on my door randomly to check my security I would be more than happy to oblige and would find it reassuring that people are being checked, however I've never been checked.

Back on topic. I store my bolts in a different safe to my rifles even though my safe has a seperate lockable compartment. I do store the ammo in the lockable compartment though. I know I don't have to remove the bolts by law but I see it as a responsible thing to do and I would hate to know that some burglars got away with some operational firearms if they took my whole safe, if they could lift it. Bolts are a lot harder to source than ammo which can be easily shoplifted.

I would be pretty bloody upset if my house was randomly spot checked while I was at work, on holiday,out hunting, shagging the wife, having a party.
    In fact Im pretty pissed if anyone turns up unannounced with out a hey mate what you up to? Courtesy tx first.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    mucko likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Not every one has a fancy phone VC yeah a raid is a cunt trust me. Been there!!
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    Not every one has a fancy phone VC yeah a raid is a cunt trust me. Been there!!
    They still make phones that don't tx?

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2

oh that thing on the wall with a cord My mistake then aye
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

A safe place to store ammo

Name:  ammo storage.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  87.1 KB
    The Jackel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by seano View Post
    A safe place to store ammo

Attachment 11414
    Nahh Seano this is safer cause its hidden

Name:  1017051_206423552840452_868156886_n.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  34.4 KB
    mucko and seano like this.
    CFD

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    Nahh Seano this is safer cause its hidden

Attachment 11430
    I like the way you think Dundee

Keep safe in the hills! Gunzrrr's Avatar
    I bought a second hand 3 drawer filing cabinet (the standard office type). The top drawer has all my manuals, warranty, receipts, and stuff. The middle drawer has all my bits and pieces like knives, torches, bipods, basically all the crap I've accumulated. The bottom drawer has all my ammo in it. Bolted to the wall. One key locks everything. Insurance companies like it. The old ones are better built. Best of all - the Mrs can't see what's in it.
    Gibo likes this.