Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Safer practices

It's my observation. You call a theory that a person that you've never met (assumption) a guess and tell him that he needs to do more hunting in the bush before he will know what he's talking about. That's arrogance, and you do it on a public forum which makes you look even more arrogant.

As for your last sentence, grow up, I've got better things to do than confront every person I have a petty difference in opinion with.

Good on you @Toby for making your own observations and still listening to others.
    Ryan likes this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  24.3 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  56.8 KB
    Savage1 and Dead is better like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Sorry, woke up on the wrong side.

Change the attitudes away from the "I have to shoot something" is what is required. Too many people go into the bush and think if they don't kill something the hunt isn't successful. Hunting is not about killing animals, its about the experience. Seeing animals and not shooting them is still hunting. Walking away knowing you could have shot something without it even knowing you were there is pretty satisfying. Just because you've shot more animals than your mate or his mate does not make you a better hunter OR more experienced.

I NEVER go hunting with the attitude that I need to shoot an animal. If I see one great, if I shoot one...that's nice too, but if I return home empty handed I don't care. As a result of this I've had more enjoyable hunts, seen MORE animals, shot better animals, got some awesome footage and photos which last longer than a venison steak, and because of this I have never been in a position where I've felt uncomfortable hunting with my mates. These days I am lucky if I shoot 1% of what I see, and I shoot a number of meat animals a month and usually a couple of decent "trophy" type animals during the season.

My advice is, if you hear, see, or smell a deer/target animal...be prepared to sit and wait until you can tell what sex the animal is, what age it is, if you're after a stag...is it worth shooting or not? The only way to do this is to STOP and EVALUATE before you acquire the target and pull the trigger. You may lose the odd animal because of this but it WILL make you a better and safer hunter. Doubt me??? I challenge you to try it.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Change the attitudes away from the "I have to shoot something" is what is required. Too many people go into the bush and think if they don't kill something the hunt isn't successful. Hunting is not about killing animals, its about the experience. Seeing animals and not shooting them is still hunting. Walking away knowing you could have shot something without it even knowing you were there is pretty satisfying. Just because you've shot more animals than your mate or his mate does not make you a better hunter OR more experienced.

I NEVER go hunting with the attitude that I need to shoot an animal. If I see one great, if I shoot one...that's nice too, but if I return home empty handed I don't care. As a result of this I've had more enjoyable hunts, seen MORE animals, shot better animals, got some awesome footage and photos which last longer than a venison steak, and because of this I have never been in a position where I've felt uncomfortable hunting with my mates. These days I am lucky if I shoot 1% of what I see, and I shoot a number of meat animals a month and usually a couple of decent "trophy" type animals during the season.

My advice is, if you hear, see, or smell a deer/target animal...be prepared to sit and wait until you can tell what sex the animal is, what age it is, if you're after a stag...is it worth shooting or not? The only way to do this is to STOP and EVALUATE before you acquire the target and pull the trigger. You may lose the odd animal because of this but it WILL make you a better and safer hunter. Doubt me??? I challenge you to try it.
    I concur
    distant stalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    I concur
    What both of them said......
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Well put josh

Why? Newbies suck at stalking and feel the need to compensate by being faster at the end game.

(I'm talking at the movement / shadow shooters).

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Well said Josh.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead is better View Post
    Why? Newbies suck at stalking and feel the need to compensate by being faster at the end game.

Why what??

Fulla
    a hunter with morals should have a "shoot to kill" practice. wounding an animal to die a slow death is just cruel. you nor the animal wins.

I think new Zealand has a fair few "hunters" that don't give animals the respect they deserve. some lesser game like possums and goats are basicly used as practice or targets a lot of people are willing to have the bullet hit anywhere, or try stupid things. iv seen on forums plenty of times... oh I will practice on a goat first. iv even seen one guy say im shooting goats with rimfire subs, im going to keep increasing the range until it doesn't work, or maybe it was start way out until it works, I cant remember but what an idiot.

its fairly simple.... its likely your not the only person in the bush, be 100% you know what your shooting and you have a safe backdrop behind the animal. end of!
    ebf and madmaori like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead is better View Post

Recent incidents would beg to differ mate. Most of the shooters in recent "accidental" hunter shootings have been reported as being "experienced hunters".

What's an experienced hunter though? Someone than goes out several times a week/month, or 4-5 times a year, one that's done a roar trip every year for 15 years?

I've hunted with a large number of newbies, in fact got many their first animal, in which I get great satisfaction from, and most if not all of them would have better hunting ethics, would be more careful with firearms, and would be more willing to listen and change their attitudes than some of the so-called "regular" hunters I see on forums and Facebook and in person.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    a hunter with morals should have a "shoot to kill" practice. wounding an animal to die a slow death is just cruel. you nor the animal wins.

I think new Zealand has a fair few "hunters" that don't give animals the respect they deserve. some lesser game like possums and goats are basicly used as practice or targets a lot of people are willing to have the bullet hit anywhere, or try stupid things. iv seen on forums plenty of times... oh I will practice on a goat first. iv even seen one guy say im shooting goats with rimfire subs, im going to keep increasing the range until it doesn't work, or maybe it was start way out until it works, I cant remember but what an idiot.

its fairly simple.... its likely your not the only person in the bush, be 100% you know what your shooting and you have a safe backdrop behind the animal. end of!
    Wow what a complete bell end that guy was...can't stand that sort of attitude,everything deserves to die in a humane way and not be walking around with bullet holes in it because of some fucktard...that shit really grinds my gears
    JoshC likes this.