Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: Semi Autos - Possible Interesting Development

Semi Autos - Possible Interesting Development

Posted by Herbmeister:

I will try and give a full debrief of the latest meeting with Police over the next few weeks but one point needs to be raised now.

One of the options police are considering when it comes to "managing" semi automatic firearms is making all semi automatics including shotguns and rimfires "E" Cat; Regardless of magazine capacity, features etc.

I have no idea why they feel they need this strategy but it seems short sighted to say the least one thought that comes into my head is have they crunched the numbers when it comes to compensation? Please dont inundate my inbox with requests for more info I will get it all up here in the next week. In the meantime ask you local politician what his/her take is on it, write POLITE letters to the Minister of Police asking if this is party Policy etc.

Follow for updates: FCAF Update - NZ Sport Shooter Forum
    199p and Koshogi like this.

Politely emailed the Minister, the Labour spokesperson, my local MP and Richard Prosser of NZ First (who I have found to be willing to actually engage with members of the public unlike some other politicians) asking for clarification on this and why I am against it.

I'd encourage others to do the same. Politely.

Lay the groundwork so the next time we're burdened with a Labour-Green trainwreck they can push for banning of all semi autos?

Can't even tell if I have my tinfoil strapped on too tight any more

I wonder if I could make a profit on my sks?
    And dud mini 30 come to think of it the JW15 outshoots the 10/22 .??????
    Nah

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk

Well had Annette King and Richard Prosser email back within hours. Annette King has not heard of any such move but said she would investigate. I then asked her if it would be a policy that Labour would support. Waiting on a reply on that but until I get word back I'm not about to jump on and say Labour are for such a thing, they know how angry it would make people. Richard Prosser can see how the Government would be for such an idea and he seems against it. He said that they have several members of NZ First who keeping tabs on the issue and Ron Mark, being the Police spokesperson for NZ is their go-to man on the subject but he will dig further.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobite View Post
    Well had Annette King and Richard Prosser email back within hours. Annette King has not heard of any such move but said she would investigate. I then asked her if it would be a policy that Labour would support. Waiting on a reply on that but until I get word back I'm not about to jump on and say Labour are for such a thing, they know how angry it would make people. Richard Prosser can see how the Government would be for such an idea and he seems against it. He said that they have several members of NZ First who keeping tabs on the issue and Ron Mark, being the Police spokesperson for NZ is their go-to man on the subject but he will dig further.
    Sure to be a vote loser if they include semi auto shotguns

I cant get the link to open, would like to read the background before making noises. Have already submitted on the review

ebf
    Not surprised at all, it is the logical conclusion to the police's attempts to define a particular class of firearm having been circumvented at each turn.

Will be interesting to see how politically palatable this move is with the farming community, especially with regards to stuff like 10/22s which are common as. Farmers are a much larger and stronger political group in this country when compared to "ar" enthusiasts.

Bottom line is that for sporting use of a semi you are likely to have to belong to a club, much like B-cat
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Bottom line is that for sporting use of a semi you are likely to have to belong to a club, much like B-cat
    That's a huge leap, right there.

The police continually state that they are under-resourced which, given they've not received a budget increase for ~7 years, is hardly surprising. How then do they expect to enforce this proposed new law I wonder?
    veitnamcam, R93 and Tommy like this.

Not surprised at all, it is the logical conclusion to the police's attempts to define a particular class of firearm having been circumvented at each turn.

Will be interesting to see how politically palatable this move is with the farming community, especially with regards to stuff like 10/22s which are common as. Farmers are a much larger and stronger political group in this country when compared to "ar" enthusiasts.

There's going to be a lot of duck hunting clubs then. Plod hasn't thought this one through at all.
    mikee and Skatieguy like this.

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
    There's going to be a lot of duck hunting clubs then. Plod hasn't thought this one through at all.
    More than possible to restrict recreational hunting to non semi-auto. Make it part of the license conditions... Water-fowling with double barrel or single shot only is common in a lot of countries.

IPSC 3-gun, multigun and service comps I think are where the majority of non-hunting sporting use of semi shotguns would be.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

More than possible to restrict recreational hunting to non semi-auto. Make it part of the license conditions... Water-fowling with double barrel or single shot only is common in a lot of countries.

IPSC 3-gun, multigun and service comps I think are where the majority of non-hunting sporting use of semi shotguns would be.
    Yeah how many people own a semi shot gun at the moment?
    what if they move to include pumps and lever rifles?

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk

R93
    Not saying I agree with this at all because I believe there is a hidden agenda if it comes to pass.
    But say it does pass, it would create a heap of E cat applications when they struggle with what they have on their plate now.
    As Ryan said how will they even start to enforce this. Cost to them in time alone would be untenable imo.
    Same old bullshit tho. Knee-jerk reaction that puts out and costs law abiding people.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

so no bunny blasting with a 10/22 ? its the best gun for the job