Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: Semi Autos - Possible Interesting Development

Im new to all of this, can someone tell me who or what FCAF is?

Being cynical it does look like the police are trying to push a firearm register, if this comes to pass I would not be surprised if eventually everything becomes E cat. It would be nice if they could look at useful avenues of reducing gun crime and firearm incidents, there is plenty of scope to require more secure A cat storage, increase penalties for firearm offenses (ie possession is automatically considered intent etc), more rigorous license testing/training (maybe even similar to the car license process).

Then there is the question that needs answering, which is where do the criminal organizations actually get their weapons from. It would also be interesting to see why they want to target MSSAs, just from watching the news it seems they are very rarely if ever used in any of the firearm incidents, most seem to be old shotguns and .22s
    Tommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilli_Dog View Post
    ...It would also be interesting to see why they want to target MSSAs...
    Because politicians and bureaucrats watch hollywood movies and think they look scary?

R93
    I do not think they are going for a register in total.
    They do want to know where all the semis are.

I also think it is a round about way to ensure every firearm is stored in at least an E cat suitable safe. They don't stop theft in every scenario but they may reduce it.

They are still not tackling the issue they claimed they would and only forcing the compliant to even more restrictions and cost. Crims have no such issues😆
    I love this country but some of our decision makers are seriously stupid and lack any common sense.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam, 199p, tetawa and 2 others like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

you would like to think (wishful) that if this happened the E cat regulations would be watered down significantly to justify the huge increase in new applicants. So basically semis on E but it's just like a A but with a better safe and a register. Their end game has to be to reduce work load on themselves but improve the ability to restrict criminals from getting guns
    Being over gunned is under rated.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Vapour2209

Quote Originally Posted by Vapour View Post
    Their end game has to be to reduce work load on themselves but improve the ability to restrict criminals from getting guns
    A registry is a poor way to get there that's for sure.
    veitnamcam and R93 like this.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    so no bunny blasting with a 10/22 ? its the best gun for the job
    No, an AR is the best bunny blaster. Ideally one with a normal pistol grip and a normal magazine.
    Tommy likes this.

So am I right to guess that cause it has been suggested, then it is going to happen. They have also.mentioned a buy back and ban of certain types of rifles. But that never happened.

Maybe we should wait for more info before we jump on the bandwagon.

By all means be prepared, but for the right thing, not on a "maybe it will happen whim"
    Kscott likes this.

Hmm might be a good time to stock up on E cat safes
    nzfubz likes this.

P38
    Easy enough way too get a gun registry up and running too.

Cheers
    Pete
    Arguing with an Engineer is like Wrestling a Pig in Mud.

After awhile you realise the Pig loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilli_Dog View Post
    Im new to all of this, can someone tell me who or what FCAF is?

Being cynical it does look like the police are trying to push a firearm register, if this comes to pass I would not be surprised if eventually everything becomes E cat. It would be nice if they could look at useful avenues of reducing gun crime and firearm incidents, there is plenty of scope to require more secure A cat storage, increase penalties for firearm offenses (ie possession is automatically considered intent etc), more rigorous license testing/training (maybe even similar to the car license process).

Then there is the question that needs answering, which is where do the criminal organizations actually get their weapons from. It would also be interesting to see why they want to target MSSAs, just from watching the news it seems they are very rarely if ever used in any of the firearm incidents, most seem to be old shotguns and .22s

Firearms council advisory forum. It is a group comprised of industry members and representatives of shooting groups such as COLFO, NZSRA etc. They meet to discuss firearms policy issues with Police.
    199p likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
    Easy enough way too get a gun registry up and running too.

Cheers
    Pete
    Odd thing is police don't want that, they had it running till '83 and then gave up as it was too much work. I don't really see how making anybody with a 10/22 need an E-Cat endorsement is going to be less work for them or solve the problem of crims getting their hands on guns but then again if they take this track it's obviously going to be a blatant push to just simply get people to hand in their firearms. Now if the Police actually had the funding to tackle the actual problem at source then it would be a different story but a budget freeze for 8 years will have that affect. I can see why they are tempted to say "screw it, let's just get rid of them all so we don't have to bother with the problem", not that I agree with that approach at all obviously.
    Taff likes this.

It would turn into a nightmare for those tasked to administer it. Whether the policy makers care is another thing.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    It would turn into a nightmare for those tasked to administer it. Whether the policy makers care is another thing.
    Plods snowed under with all the vetting from the Vulnerable Children Act. Anyone who's job has the remotest chance of them having to go into a school or pre-school has to be vetted. We're meant to get vetted for some work we're doing at the University but plod done 1/2 the applications then refused to do the rest. I don't think Plod's bosses have much contact with reality. I think the average cop does wonders with the bullshit they put up with

Quote Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
    I don't think Plod's bosses have much contact with reality. I think the average cop does wonders with the bullshit they put up with
    Bingo
    Jexla likes this.

This is nothing more than a bureaucratic space filler i.e its intention is to make a report whatever look like it has been "fully researched"
    MMP will render this a "not bloody likely",because of the backlash from not only Firearms users ,but their Wives/Girlfriends/Mothers etc .