Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree230Likes

Thread: Sick of it all. Off to war.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    I wouldn't.

An opinion is a viewpoint/judgement made by someone from what they have observed and know.

Sidneys very narrow opinion on opinion is just his and his trades opinion on opinion.

Well actually no not just mine.... that definition is a 100% correct for what is "legal opinion" and it is the criteria by which information is accessed before it can be offered as evidence to a court.

The reason that I promoted it is because of the sloppy public perception of what opinion is in the public arena these days.

As you illustrate in your definition it is apparently sufficient to form "opinion" without knowledge or understanding. That definition is reflective of what has occurred, rather than what needs to be happening.

That is damaging, it is the source of many of our issues and preoccupations. Macca for example and his weed kneed judges. His gut feelings have not been checked, offending levels are lower and prison numbers are higher. He's just wrong but apparently his gut feelings give him licence to express opinion without knowledge or understanding. Thus perpetuating a myth in public opinion.

No harm in general discussion, no harm in talking about what we feel about issues, gut feeling can provide insight and knowledge from experience can be valuable, but it still has to be put into context and checked before it can be legitimate. If is not weighed, its of no value and it can be problematic.

My father used to tell me as a kid to shut up and listen and learn. These days apparently "everybody has a right to an opinion" apparently also means that no knowledge or understanding is required, and everybody must express what they don't know or understand to secure that right... how stupid is that?

Let me paraphrase what this means...... "well thats my opinion anyway" means, I haven't got a clue what I am talking about and I want you all to know that.

So my "narrow opinion" of opinion is merely offered as a counter to stupidity and the public expression of it.... you can all thank me now...

And yes I know that this is an internet forum...
    gadgetman, kiwijames and 10-Ring like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    i used to do allot of service work in the prisons, the food wasnt bad and the accommodation was pretty good especially in the rolleston hut compounds.
    pool table, rec room etc, tv points in each cell (i installed them) clean clothing and linen and no compulsory work duty. pretty cushy really
    You telling me I dont have to work, but get fed and watch TV?? and I still get my pension, Geeze @Rushy theres an option for retiring, we could ask Trevor if he could get a petition for a rifle range, duck shooting, pistol range, few odd deer around the grounds, and a box of Waikato a day and rename it a lodge????
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney View Post
    Well actually no not just mine.... that definition is a 100% correct for what is "legal opinion" and it is the criteria by which information is accessed before it can be offered as evidence to a court.

The reason that I promoted it is because of the sloppy public perception of what opinion is in the public arena these days.

As you illustrate in your definition it is apparently sufficient to form "opinion" without knowledge or understanding. That definition is reflective of what has occurred, rather than what needs to be happening.

That is damaging, it is the source of many of our issues and preoccupations. Macca for example and his weed kneed judges. His gut feelings have not been checked, offending levels are lower and prison numbers are higher. He's just wrong but apparently his gut feelings give him licence to express opinion without knowledge or understanding. Thus perpetuating a myth in public opinion.

No harm in general discussion, no harm in talking about what we feel about issues, gut feeling can provide insight and knowledge from experience can be valuable, but it still has to be put into context and checked before it can be legitimate. If is not weighed, its of no value and it can be problematic.

My father used to tell me as a kid to shut up and listen and learn. These days apparently "everybody has a right to an opinion" apparently also means that no knowledge or understanding is required, and everybody must express what they don't know or understand to secure that right... how stupid is that?

Let me paraphrase what this means...... "well thats my opinion anyway" means, I haven't got a clue what I am talking about and I want you all to know that.

So my "narrow opinion" of opinion is merely offered as a counter to stupidity and the public expression of it.... you can all thank me now...

And yes I know that this is an internet forum...
    Sorry mate, you would tie us up in more red tape than one could shit. In all honesty if the politicians listened to more public opinion..... oh wait on say no more, Trump, Brexit and the next French revolution, alls OK with the world!! Now back to feeding my guts!!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

I wasn't promoting regulation Macca... I was promoting integrity and that can't be regulated...

being informed and honest includes not letting ourselves be decieved by others or by our own gut feelings...

Oh the irony of @Sidney giving his opinion about the meaning of 'opinion', which when compared to a definition from a dictionary is clearly incorrect.

Everyone has the right to an opinion and the right to voice it, no matter how stupid or ill founded, this is at the core of a free society.
    gadgetman and shooternz like this.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    Everyone has the right to an opinion and the right to voice it, no matter how stupid or ill founded, this is at the core of a free society.
    Can someone inform my wife of this please😆

Even though most of mine are probably stupid and I'll founded.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

An opinion is less strong than positive knowledge. Thus Sidney we all have them and are entitled to them, even if we do not have positive knowledge. Having a contra opinion to your opinion is ok too.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    Oh the irony of @Sidney giving his opinion about the meaning of 'opinion', which when compared to a definition from a dictionary is clearly incorrect.

if you could read Savaloy you might have been able to follow that this is the definition of "legal opinion" and its not just mine. What is concerning of course is that your limited understanding of this should actually not be the case given your profession...

And of course no where did I actually say that you haven't the right to be stupid, say stupid things or form stupid thoughts from a lack of knowledge and understanding.

I am just concerned that you seem so determined to do exactly that....

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    An opinion is less strong than positive knowledge. Thus Sidney we all have them and are entitled to them, even if we do not have positive knowledge. Having a contra opinion to your opinion is ok too.
    And we all have the right to express them, I just wonder why people are always in such a hurry in the abscence of any positive knowledge, understanding or competance.

There is no authority in having an opinion you are correct, it has to be evaluated before any "weight" can be attached to it.

This futile little diversion is not an attempt to tell people off, but rather to encourage them to form informed opinions and not to just express themselves authoritivly in the absence of an informed opinion. Cause thats what people do.... people assume opinion has importance...

A post truth society is one filled with unjustifiable opinion. I prefer some honesty.
    Last edited by Sidney; 04-05-2017 at 01:48 PM.

northdude
    Fuk me what a long winded explanation of an opinion I'll just go with every one has one and their entitled to it plus other than a couple of people noone gives a shit what it is anyway
    zimmer and SlowElliot like this.

wouldn't it be better if what you had to say actually had some credibility?

that actually has to be earned...

northdude
    We are on a forum where people share their opinions we aren't on trial in a court of law ffs OK yes you have an opinion as well but you don't need to ram it down everyone's neck
    SlowElliot likes this.

well from that response... you clearly don't expect me to take you seriously

ffs lol

well this thread went to s*&t

northdude
    Went a bit off course didn't it