Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: So what do we do now???

Quote Originally Posted by Antz View Post
    I've just called Timaru police station to book myself an my son on a firearms course only to be told "there are no courses booked for the foreseeable future as all the volunteers have quit" so what the f*** are we supposed to do now?

Cheers Antz
    I think all the volunteers are quitting because MSC have told them they won't be needed anymore under there new bright ideas of trying to do it all with a hand full of permanent staff to cover all of NZ
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

(Puts tin-foil hat on) I think this a a round-about way of limiting the lawful uptake of FALs, and therefore firearms. To be issued a FAL, you (among other things) need to complete the MSC firearms safety course, and have appropriate security/storage requirements at home. Both of these requirements have been restricted recently. Coincidence?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Jexla likes this.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    @stug thats just ridiculous, i thought the government was murmuring about more restrictions and generally making things harder. now you can do everything through the internet and anyone can do it! guess you would still need a safe inspection at some point....

The former MSC volunteer instructors can, with the local Arms Officer's approval, still run the 'Police Firearms Safety Test' and issue a successful applicant with the police certificate indicating a pass. Also, the above safety test has nothing to do with (apart from obtaining the requisite pass) the firearms vetting process itself.
    mikee likes this.

Ahhh ok 10ring figured I probably had the wrong end of the stick!

Quote Originally Posted by StrikerNZ View Post
    Fairlie Lions club have their annual 2-day course/test (with plenty of hands-on experience) coming up in a month or two I believe. Not sure if it's open to non-locals too, but could be well worth checking out..
    That sounds like an excellent idea, is it run through a club, and is there a charge. One thing that appeals is the practical aspect, there have been calls for something like this in the arms test for quite some time. If the police would endorse this as a concept it would be a positive step.
    mikee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by StrikerNZ View Post
    Yes, it's all official and supported by the local cop. Young fella down the road did it last year - one day theory, one day hands-on with various pistols/rifles/shotguns etc, then finishes with sitting the license test.
    This sounds brilliant - one thing that struck me as odd when I got my FAL was that appart from going out shooting with a mate a couple of times, I had minimal hands on experiance with firearms (just alot of theory) yet could now just go shopping. Looking back at it I personally would have appreciated a day of handling various firearms, actions, safeties etc.